Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 13, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #5,851 of 6,486

Is the 2 better or not?

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #5,852 of 6,486
  I've been lurking this thread for a couple of weeks, trying to decide on which model to order online. I've been looking mostly at the closed EL-8 since I want a new pair of headphones to use at work, but the review have been mixed. Today I finally had the chance to listen to the two models in person and compare the sound of the open vs. closed - the open EL-8 are just amazing!!!

To sum it up, I didn't care for the sound on the closed version at all. My fist reaction was that they sounded weird, but I still played through the 4 songs that I had picked out. I had to find something I liked with the headphones, but no, the closed version is not for me. I have to find another can for work.
With low expectations I switched to the open, and wow! The details, the soundstage... everything I wanted and have read about was there. Did not expect this big of difference between the two. But for me, they are like day and night. The only thing I missed with the open was that it had less punch in the bass, but I guess my Oppo HA-2 can take care of that part.

I ended my session with a quick listen to the LCD-2... speechless!

Curious as to what you ended up getting?  While I was still working I used a MDR-7506 for many years, closed headphones so no sound leakage and at very low volume they actually sounded pretty good due to the elevated bass/treble.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #5,853 of 6,486
  I've been lurking this thread for a couple of weeks, trying to decide on which model to order online. I've been looking mostly at the closed EL-8 since I want a new pair of headphones to use at work, but the review have been mixed. Today I finally had the chance to listen to the two models in person and compare the sound of the open vs. closed - the open EL-8 are just amazing!!!

To sum it up, I didn't care for the sound on the closed version at all. My fist reaction was that they sounded weird, but I still played through the 4 songs that I had picked out. I had to find something I liked with the headphones, but no, the closed version is not for me. I have to find another can for work.
With low expectations I switched to the open, and wow! The details, the soundstage... everything I wanted and have read about was there. Did not expect this big of difference between the two. But for me, they are like day and night. The only thing I missed with the open was that it had less punch in the bass, but I guess my Oppo HA-2 can take care of that part.

I ended my session with a quick listen to the LCD-2... speechless!

Similar experience to me, but I found that it was a toss up between the LCD-2 and open EL-8.  In my honest opinion, they are both at the same level in terms of audio quality but the LCD-2s had a bit more bottom end and width at the expense of a little neutrality (it was pulled back more than the EL-8).  I think the styling and build of the EL-8s is a step up personally, the LCD-2s are just huge, bulky and don't sit flat or even lay down properly, you need a headphone stand to avoid them falling over.

Overall though, you just can't go wrong with either of  the two.  Next time I'm at the store, I will listen to the LCD-3, LCD-X and LCD-4 (only because I can, not because I will shell out the cash for em, hehe).

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #5,854 of 6,486
  Curious as to what you ended up getting?  While I was still working I used a MDR-7506 for many years, closed headphones so no sound leakage and at very low volume they actually sounded pretty good due to the elevated bass/treble.

I went with the open EL-8. Very happy with my them! :D
The only regret I have is that I ordered it from Apple Store (Canada) and didn't get the soft carry pouch. For the same price that I could have bought the headphones in a local headphone store, with the carry pouch included. Nothing important, but yet enjoying that it wasn't included in the package that Apple sells. Why Audeze, why?!

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #5,855 of 6,486

The only regret I have is that I ordered it from Apple Store (Canada) and didn't get the soft carry pouch. For the same price that I could have bought the headphones in a local headphone store, with the carry pouch included. Nothing important, but yet enjoying that it wasn't included in the package that Apple sells. Why Audeze, why?!

Might be why Apple has so much profit
tongue.gif

How many hours do you have on yours?  Did you notice any changes to the sound?  I've noticed that those who have gotten the EL8 recently don't seem to see the sometimes drastic changes in sound that the early buyer like me noticed.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #5,856 of 6,486
I noticed changes up to the 250 hour mark

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #5,857 of 6,486

To be fair, you get the extra IOS mic cable.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #5,858 of 6,486

Is yours a relative new production or from when they were first released?  Mine are from Apr last year.  They changed from dark, to dark/warm then to warm after about 200+ hours so it looks about the same as what you have noticed.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #5,859 of 6,486

what are the changes you have noticed? how's the bass after 250 hours? I am just wondering...I had mine for months but have not burnt in that much, seldom use also. As i am more to CIEM's...

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #5,860 of 6,486
Is yours a relative new production or from when they were first released?  Mine are from Apr last year.  They changed from dark, to dark/warm then to warm after about 200+ hours so it looks about the same as what you have noticed.

Mine is a 'white box' EL8 made after October last year. I had the older EL8 version that I returned because of a faulty driver, which I exchanged for the former. I can confirm the newer versions definitely sound better in terms of resolution and transparency.

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #5,862 of 6,486
The biggest change I noticed was that things got a lot smoother after 75 hours or so. Coming from the LCD 2R2, the X and the TH900 the EL8 seem pretty bass light, even after 250 hours. Though the headphone makes up for it by doing everything else satisfyingly well. Also helps that I have one of those groovy hybrid X6 cables PlusSound makes. I thought the cable pushed the EL8s significantly closer to their true potential

i see...thanks! 

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #5,863 of 6,486

Honestly don't feel bad.  The carry pouch is terrible and pretty much useless unless all you want to do is stop dust getting onto your headphones.

I'm trying to get my hands on one of these https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/el-8-travel-case which looks much better.  I've been waiting 2 months with constant nagging and still the case hasn't arrived to the main retailer in Melbourne, Australia.

The carry pouch of my Bang & Olufsen H6s is much much much better than the soft carry pouch of the EL-8s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back