Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Nov 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #5,596 of 6,486
Very cool, thanks for the posts on the sound. I remember during my first very quick impression feeling that a demo track with double tracked acoustic guitars sounded better on the EL-8. But during a quick demo its tough to tell if im enjoying whats better or whats immediately gratifying. Ill do another demo when theres some more funds in place ☺

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #5,597 of 6,486
I'm not surprised you found acoustic guitar sound better on EL-8, they have good high frequency detail and openess, whereas that detail may be slightly affected by the LCD2's bassier/thicker and more closed-in overall sound. Conversely I would think the LCD2 would be superb with drums/percussions and bass/cello.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #5,598 of 6,486
Quick question: If I prefer the EL-8O to the LCD 2 due to the EL-8O's better soundstage and less obtrusive bass, should I upgrade to the LCD-X instead of the LCD 3F? seems like a logical conclusion. I'll probs ask that question in another part of the forum as well.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5,599 of 6,486
  Quick question: If I prefer the EL-8O to the LCD 2 due to the EL-8O's better soundstage and less obtrusive bass, should I upgrade to the LCD-X instead of the LCD 3F? seems like a logical conclusion. I'll probs ask that question in another part of the forum as well.

If you're willing to pay for the LCD-X then you should check out the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma. I think a few people have already made reviews comparing the two. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #5,603 of 6,486
I just happened to audition the 400I this afternoon. Compared to my open EL-8, it has better transparency and airiness. The clarity was really top notch. It has a cleaner more wholesome bass compared to the EL-8 where the bass has more grunt (impactful vs weight). The 400i has a gentler sound signature (refinement/cleaner) whereas the EL-8 is more aggressive and forceful (impact/authority). The only thing which the EL-8 has over the HE400i is its more full-bodied and bbolder sound signature, which I prefer for contemporary pop/rock music.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #5,605 of 6,486
I just happened to audition the 400I this afternoon. Compared to my open EL-8, it has better transparency and airiness. The clarity was really top notch. It has a cleaner more wholesome bass compared to the EL-8 where the bass has more grunt (impactful vs weight). The 400i has a gentler sound signature (refinement/cleaner) whereas the EL-8 is more aggressive and forceful (impact/authority). The only thing which the EL-8 has over the HE400i is its more full-bodied and bbolder sound signature, which I prefer for contemporary pop/rock music.

Hi Doughead so when you going for the LCD3.
Frankly how u find the mojo with the Cayin N5 tks

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #5,606 of 6,486

Why do you say that the 400i has a "gentler" sound signature? I thought it was the more fatiguing of the two, with more forward mids and the detail sounded a bit forced to me. Interesting.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #5,608 of 6,486
Why do you say that the 400i has a "gentler" sound signature? I thought it was the more fatiguing of the two, with more forward mids and the detail sounded a bit forced to me. Interesting.

The 400i more fatiguing than the EL-8? What DAP and amp are you using? I heard them on a Cayin N6 and Chord Mojo and they are anything but fatiguing. My EL-8 even after a week's burn-in still has a tinge of brightness, and I'm using the warmish Hifiman HM-650 DAP which has an obvious rolloff in the highs(!). In fact my Cayin C5 amp is also known to add warmth. In this regard, I would say the EL-8 is the more fatiguing of the 2 (at least when using my C5 and HM650). But I wouldn't call them fatiguing because the bass slam and impact I'm getting now outshines the slight brightness that creeps up especially at higher listening levels.

P/S: Never thought I would say this but I'll get it off my chest... The EL-8 + C5 combo is my new official audiophile basshead headfi setup.

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,609 of 6,486
My impressions exactly! I was as dissappointed by the LCD 2 as you were, when I compared it to the EL-8O. No room for instruments to breathe, all closed in. Plus the bass is too overpowering. Mine was driven by a 1000 dollar AMP/dac by Marantz, don't remember the model number. Yet I'd disagree with you on treble quality, I thought the LCD 2's treble was cleaner.

I got the chance to hear the LCD2 again yesterday, this time with a Cayin N6 and Chord Mojo driving it. The closed-in and dense sound seems to be gone compared to when I last heard them with my HM650 DAP and Cayin C5 amp. When the music has great bass the LCD2 shove them up in all their opulent glory with full scale and authority.The imaging and depth are also first class! But the caveat is that the recording must have that kind of bass and top class recording to begin with. I listened intently for superior bass quality on Dire Straits, Adele and Amy Winehouse just to test how contemporary pop sounded on the LCD2 compared to my EL-8 and I don't sense much difference. So they do perform at a higher level but not totally across the board, which was what I was expecting but was unrealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back