Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4,908 of 6,486

Have you read his review? It's like one big advertisement. So cringe worthy. I think he might have been paid for a favourable review, it's a common practice in marketing circles. That fake excitement was so annoying from the start, I can't take him seriously any more.We need guys like Tyll who are honest and objective, not guys like that.

Link for said review please I've clearly missed some entertainment

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,909 of 6,486
  Link for said review please I've clearly missed some entertainment

the review they are talking about were just mike's unofficial impressions before the EL-8 release from wayyy back. he is still penning an official review.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,910 of 6,486
I just got my Audeze EL-8 closed back today.  I'm driving it out of NX-2 directly. The cans are big, but I take the train every day and they are actually portable enough to be useable for my daily commute.  It'd have to do a lot of side by side to comment on SQ (I have an HD800+WooAudio WA22 which is pretty sweet but I never listen to it, since I prefer listening to my speakers at home).

In any case, I did make a comparison today: iPhone+EL8-closed vs NX2+EL8-closed, and the NX2 is a clear winner.

The thing that I don't like is the cable: 2m is too long for my commute.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #4,912 of 6,486
Sorry, but off topic alittle here. What's with the pre-fazor audeze thing? :x

The Fazor is simply a specifically shaped grill over the driver that guides the sound waves to the ears in a more cohesive fashion that reduces sound wave overlap. This was introduced with the LCD-X and LCD-XC models and has since been implemented in their entire line up. Pre-Fazor refers to LCD-2 and LCD-3 headphones before the technique was introduced.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #4,913 of 6,486
The Fazor is simply a specifically shaped grill over the driver that guides the sound waves to the ears in a more cohesive fashion that reduces sound wave overlap. This was introduced with the LCD-X and LCD-XC models and has since been implemented in their entire line up. Pre-Fazor refers to LCD-2 and LCD-3 headphones before the technique was introduced.

I see. Is there a large difference between fazor and prefazor?

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #4,914 of 6,486
I see. Is there a large difference between fazor and prefazor?

Yes, Fazor made the LCD 2.2 and LCD 3 less dark. This ruined the sound signature for some people, as it took away emphasis from the bassy, relaxed nature of the headphones and made them technically more proficient...but not anything like the sound that made them famous in the first place.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #4,915 of 6,486
  Yes, Fazor made the LCD 2.2 and LCD 3 less dark. This ruined the sound signature for some people, as it took away emphasis from the bassy, relaxed nature of the headphones and made them technically more proficient...but not anything like the sound that made them famous in the first place.

Thanks for the descriptions.  I have read pretty much everything on head-fi regarding these cans

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #4,917 of 6,486
  man such reviews can really hurt the reviewer, this is why i learned that i will only listen to reviews by people who actually buy stuff and not by people who receive toys and review them

i dont want to bash him for it, maybe that is what he heard, but for me i see that there is a recognized percentage of people who actually bought them and are not too thrilled about the el-8

but no matter what i love my lcd2 rev2 pre-fazor its a master headphone for me, and maybe i would even dare to say i liked  my lcd2 even more than an lcd3 which i auditioned 

Yeah... Pre-fazor LCD-2 is really good. Fazor LCD-2, not so much.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #4,918 of 6,486

Yeah... Pre-fazor LCD-2 is really good. Fazor LCD-2, not so much.

The opposite for me. I like the Fazor more and bought one.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #4,919 of 6,486
Anyone listen to the open back EL-8 through a WA7? How does the sub bass sound? Does the tube warmth smooth out the highs? How about perhaps with the upgrade Electro Harmonix tubes installed?

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #4,920 of 6,486
Anyone listen to the open back EL-8 through a WA7? How does the sub bass sound? Does the tube warmth smooth out the highs? How about perhaps with the upgrade Electro Harmonix tubes installed?

I personally find the Gold Pin to be more open in the treble than the Sovteks. The WA7 dac is sometimes said to be bright, but I have not done a comparison with the WA7 dac alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back