Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 13, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #4,862 of 6,486
  Deadmau5!    pah!

Dark souls - subreachers- iTunes

Listen to that on your x's and buckle the screw up fella

Had to find that on Soundcloud. Love that dubstep bass, but it's kinda uneventful. I'm more of a Bassnectar - Breathless type.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #4,863 of 6,486
Hi all! Thought I'd share my EL-8 experience here in case someone finds it useful.

I've been looking for a new set of cans for the office for a long time -- the AKG K550 are nice and isolate well, but they're just so vanilla. I hadn't really been planning to pick up an EL-8 as a replacement, but the pre-release reviews (and the 15% off coupon I got in my inbox) led to an impulse order one fine afternoon about a month ago. Where to begin?

The bad. My "elation" at receiving my shiny new EL-8 quickly faded away as I realized my set had the dreaded "first gen connector issue." The right-side connector wouldn't lock in place, and even the slightest little head moment would cause the connector to dislodge. I've read at least one account of another pair with exactly the same issue. Whatever short-lived sound I could extract from them was glorious, so I decided to contact Audez'e for a replacement instead of just returning them to the retailer and moving on.

The pretty good. Audez'e has above-average customer service, IMO. They answered my email immediately and created an RMA ticket immediately with no questions asked. Why only pretty good? Well, it took two weeks from the day they arrived back at the warehouse for me to receive a new pair, and I had to nudge them a couple times for status updates. Under the circumstances -- including a hot new product with some predictable build issues and the big theft from their facility -- I can completely understand the time frame, but I would have liked slightly more proactive communication from them. To quote the esteemed songstress Lita Ford, it ain't no big thing.

The totally fantastic. That would be the sound quality of my 2nd pair of EL-8. I totally agree with the esteemed posters here who have called them "baby LCD-X" or at least pointed out how the two cans share considerable similarities (I'm listening to my Xs as I type this, BTW). The love-it-or-hate-it Audez'e "house sound" is totally recognizable -- like all Audez'e products I've owned, the EL-8 manages to have both the presence and excitement of planar magnetics and that full, slightly mellow signature sound I adore. The EL-8 has slightly less treble energy and bass slam than their more expensive siblings, but are otherwise in the ballpark for sure (IMO, of course). I have no comfort issues at all with the X, but the EL-8 might be even more comfortable on my head. For less than $700, Audez'e has a winner in my book. (Signal path of my office rig: MacBook Pro w/Audirvana > Modi 2 Uber via USB > Magni 2 Uber via cheap Monoprice RCAs > cans.) (Burned in for at least 50 hours, exclusively with lossless Bob Dylan tracks for no logical reason.)

The reality. I understand and sympathize with folks who argue that build issues and inconsistencies are unacceptable in a $700 product, but I don't agree in this case. As a long-time sufferer of audiophile-itis who's been through more gear in the last five years than I can remember, I have concluded that when you purchase the first generation of a niche product from a boutique manufacturer (especially one that incorporates new technology), you should be prepared for a glitch or two. It's just how things work. Again, $700 ain't cheap by any stretch, but it's a low enough threshold that many potential buyers probably haven't been through a hi-fi gear "early adopoter" cycle before. I've been down a similar road with Audez'e before, and I know from experience that they get stuff figured out quickly and go out of their way to make their customers satisfied with their purchase -- even if it takes a return or two to get things just exactly perfect. That's part of why I was willing to take a chance and grab an EL-8 almost immediately after their release.

Well, that's it for now. Again, all of the above is strictly IMO, and I take no umbrage with posters who have a completely different experience with this or any other piece of equipment. That's just how it goes. More listening impressions to follow.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #4,864 of 6,486
My biggest concern at this point with whether or not to keep the El-8c is the connector. I expect a firm snap/lock in place. It is slight at best and not confidence inspiring. You can still nudge the connector forward/backward and it will dislodge the connector on either end. If I'm listening to them in bed and leaning my head back, I find that the connector gets dislodged a tad on the back part. I don't have any issues with the music cutting out but I wonder if it will hold up over the years. Why couldn't they just keep the damn mini-XLR connectors instead of getting all "fancy" on us.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #4,865 of 6,486
  Hi all! Thought I'd share my EL-8 experience here in case someone finds it useful.

I've been looking for a new set of cans for the office for a long time -- the AKG K550 are nice and isolate well, but they're just so vanilla. I hadn't really been planning to pick up an EL-8 as a replacement, but the pre-release reviews (and the 15% off coupon I got in my inbox) led to an impulse order one fine afternoon about a month ago. Where to begin?

The bad. My "elation" at receiving my shiny new EL-8 quickly faded away as I realized my set had the dreaded "first gen connector issue." The right-side connector wouldn't lock in place, and even the slightest little head moment would cause the connector to dislodge. I've read at least one account of another pair with exactly the same issue. Whatever short-lived sound I could extract from them was glorious, so I decided to contact Audez'e for a replacement instead of just returning them to the retailer and moving on.

The pretty good. Audez'e has above-average customer service, IMO. They answered my email immediately and created an RMA ticket immediately with no questions asked. Why only pretty good? Well, it took two weeks from the day they arrived back at the warehouse for me to receive a new pair, and I had to nudge them a couple times for status updates. Under the circumstances -- including a hot new product with some predictable build issues and the big theft from their facility -- I can completely understand the time frame, but I would have liked slightly more proactive communication from them. To quote the esteemed songstress Lita Ford, it ain't no big thing.

The totally fantastic. That would be the sound quality of my 2nd pair of EL-8. I totally agree with the esteemed posters here who have called them "baby LCD-X" or at least pointed out how the two cans share considerable similarities (I'm listening to my Xs as I type this, BTW). The love-it-or-hate-it Audez'e "house sound" is totally recognizable -- like all Audez'e products I've owned, the EL-8 manages to have both the presence and excitement of planar magnetics and that full, slightly mellow signature sound I adore. The EL-8 has slightly less treble energy and bass slam than their more expensive siblings, but are otherwise in the ballpark for sure (IMO, of course). I have no comfort issues at all with the X, but the EL-8 might be even more comfortable on my head. For less than $700, Audez'e has a winner in my book. (Signal path of my office rig: MacBook Pro w/Audirvana > Modi 2 Uber via USB > Magni 2 Uber via cheap Monoprice RCAs > cans.) (Burned in for at least 50 hours, exclusively with lossless Bob Dylan tracks for no logical reason.)

The reality. I understand and sympathize with folks who argue that build issues and inconsistencies are unacceptable in a $700 product, but I don't agree in this case. As a long-time sufferer of audiophile-itis who's been through more gear in the last five years than I can remember, I have concluded that when you purchase the first generation of a niche product from a boutique manufacturer (especially one that incorporates new technology), you should be prepared for a glitch or two. It's just how things work. Again, $700 ain't cheap by any stretch, but it's a low enough threshold that many potential buyers probably haven't been through a hi-fi gear "early adopoter" cycle before. I've been down a similar road with Audez'e before, and I know from experience that they get stuff figured out quickly and go out of their way to make their customers satisfied with their purchase -- even if it takes a return or two to get things just exactly perfect. That's part of why I was willing to take a chance and grab an EL-8 almost immediately after their release.

Well, that's it for now. Again, all of the above is strictly IMO, and I take no umbrage with posters who have a completely different experience with this or any other piece of equipment. That's just how it goes. More listening impressions to follow.

I agree with many points in your impressions, but not all. But, as you said, that's just how it goes.

The open-back EL-8 I had presented shouty mids and lack of bass presence that were nothing comparable to the sound signature of my LCD-X. I find it conceivable that different EL-8 units can sound different from one another. Of course, we each hear differently than one another and prefer different sound signatures and characteristics. So, with all the possible variables to contend with, it's little wonder that everyone doesn't agree on what the EL-8 sounds like.

That said, I agree that Audeze has a track record of killing bugs in their models, and since the EL-8 is currently rev 1, they will get this one right eventually.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #4,866 of 6,486

Why couldn't they just keep the damn mini-XLR connectors instead of getting all "fancy" on us.

We don't know, yet. They have intimated that there is a very good reason, but not elaborated on that as yet.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #4,867 of 6,486
  My biggest concern at this point with whether or not to keep the El-8c is the connector. I expect a firm snap/lock in place. It is slight at best and not confidence inspiring. You can still nudge the connector forward/backward and it will dislodge the connector on either end. If I'm listening to them in bed and leaning my head back, I find that the connector gets dislodged a tad on the back part.

I had the same experience when I demoed them at the SoCal CanJam.

The connector itself isn't really the problem.  The problem is that they sit nearly flush on the bottom of the earcup.  All Audeze has to do is recess the connectors, and that will pretty much solve all of the connector issues.

Until this gets fixed, I have no interest in them.  Plus their SQ didn't exactly blow me away either.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #4,868 of 6,486
I had the same experience when I demoed them at the SoCal CanJam.

The connector itself isn't really the problem.  The problem is that they sit nearly flush on the bottom of the earcup.  All Audeze has to do is recess the connectors, and that will pretty much solve all of the connector issues.

Until this gets fixed, I have no interest in them.  Plus their SQ didn't exactly blow me away either.

Dude..same problem now with my open back EL-8s that I've had for only THREE DAYS. Just when they're starting to break-in and sound better too. What. I'm laying here trying not to move my head so the right connector doesn't move half a millimeter and cut out the sound to that side. Hmmmm. Idk guys. These might be getting returned for that nonsense. I'll deal with my P7s and put that $754.92 towards some LCDs by summer's end.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #4,869 of 6,486
Those of you with the build quality issues, especially with the connector, are better off returning your headphones and buy it again (if you like it) end of Summer ... because usually it takes Audeze six months to solve revision issues
rolleyes.gif

Not sure they can fix the sound quality being lifeless and dry.

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #4,874 of 6,486
  All of these opinions of the EL-8 are hilarious given the hype they were getting when first previewed. ''These may be better than the LCD's!''

Yeah well, I thought "Great, poor man's LCD-3, YAY" and Audeze is like "No mate, are you bloody mental? You can only get an LCD-3 if you have money. These are just made to get some market share from Oppo's PM line, we haven't even tested these headphones, can you believe it? 7 Khz dip hahah... They'll still buy them though. Then we can release Rev 2.2. next year without the dip and we'll sell the same headphone to the same people again. Why sell once when you can do it twice? This is sales strategy mate, use your head."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back