Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #2,956 of 6,486
  The EL-8 has a sensitivity of 102 db/mw, and a resistance of 30 ohms. The LCD-X has a sensitivity of 103 db/mw and 20 ohms.

So yes, you're right.  It's a small difference though, as both are very, very easy to drive.

I think you're thinking of the Audeze Z or whatever with like 120 ohm resistance or something.

120 would actually be reasonable. The Z prototype reportedly had a 1200 ohm impedance!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2014-audeze-prototype-z-high-impedance-planar-magnetic-headphone

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2,957 of 6,486
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #2,958 of 6,486
That's what it was! I had forgotten. I knew it was insane, but messed it up with the LCD-3 in my head.

Yeah it's bordering on absurd. As Tyll pointed out in the article, with a 120 ohm output impedance amp, you'd still have a damping factor of 10.  Absolutely insane.

Btw, I think I've been following your closed can odyssey on reddit. Did you order the closed EL-8 in addition to the ZMF Blackwood? I was torn between the two myself.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2,959 of 6,486
Yeah it's bordering on absurd. As Tyll pointed out in the article, with a 120 ohm output impedance amp, you'd still have a damping factor of 10.  Absolutely insane.

Btw, I think I've been following your closed can odyssey on reddit. Did you order the closed EL-8 in addition to the ZMF Blackwood? I was torn between the two myself.

Don't quote me on this, I believe the rumor was that it was a OTL tube friendly planar.

I haven't honestly looked at ordering the closed el-8. I may look into an open on, but it all depends. I did get a Vibro with the Blackwoods and NFB-28, which should all be here by late next week. I may look into the Pm-3, as those look interesting.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,960 of 6,486
Don't quote me on this, I believe the rumor was that it was a OTL tube friendly planar.

I haven't honestly looked at ordering the closed el-8. I may look into an open on, but it all depends. I did get a Vibro with the Blackwoods and NFB-28, which should all be here by late next week. I may look into the Pm-3, as those look interesting.

Awesome. I will be looking forward to your impressions. Your earlier ones were a big factor in why I ended up avoiding the Alpha Prime.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #2,961 of 6,486

If you own or have heard HD650/600's, can you say anything about how those compare to the Audeze? Just what's most striking to you. Forget about terminology.

Senns are much more airy, wider soundstage. More High-End. EL-8 are superb only in bass and lower midrange section. However if you will play from iPhone or similar,
the difference is neglible.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #2,963 of 6,486
  "Portable" means it's easy to drive. Can be driven with portable amps or high end DAP.

Well, yes. That's part of it. I would agree that size and the ability to travel with something also constitutes 'portable'. Let's say there are some lightweight open headphones that are easy to drive. They leak so much noise that you can't use them anywhere outside. Portable? Maybe not.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #2,964 of 6,486
  Have a look at the Oppos as well:

joeexp, money4me247 and everyone else - thanks a ton for your comments and feedback!

I do have the Oppo PM-2, which is like a lot. I really like the sound signature.

I am assuming that the EL-8 is the same price as the T1 in Singapore due to mark-up, so from a dollar:performance perspective you may be overpaying a bit for that, but if you love the sound signature, it can be a good investment.

edit: I personally would always go for a flagship offering if budget is not a concern. I prefer planars over dynamics, so I would actually pick the HE-560 or LCD-X from my personal auditioning experience. hahah sorry that is not either of your presented choices.

Yes, that's entirely possible or maybe Beyerdynamic is planning on releasing a T1 killer which we don't know about :wink: he!he!

I suppose the best option is to pick up the EL-8 when I'm in the US and get the T1 from here!! But I will definitely check out the LCD-X as well before making a final decision. The EL-8 looks quite amazing though ... despite the wood trim ... 

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #2,968 of 6,486

You don't believe I can use them on a plane due to some general definition of "portability"?
Compared to speakers, headphones are fairly portable, so I think they meet the definition you posted.

Either way, I will be using them as a portable solution for travel, so for my use case, they are portable.  If they don't meet your portability requirements, no problem, but your attempt to make this some line in the sand is unnecessary.  I'm pretty sure the flight attendants won't boot me off the plane for using "non portable" headphones....

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,969 of 6,486

You don't believe I can use them on a plane due to some general definition of "portability"?
Compared to speakers, headphones are fairly portable, so I think they meet the definition you posted.

Either way, I will be using them as a portable solution for travel, so for my use case, they are portable.  If they don't meet your portability requirements, no problem, but your attempt to make this some line in the sand is unnecessary.  I'm pretty sure the flight attendants won't boot me off the plane for using "non portable" headphones....

I'm just being snarky. I was giggling when I posted it. But yeah, headphones are by definition 'portable' even if they can often times be the size of small pots. The EL-8's profile is smaller than the rest of the so they are heading in the right direction if they'd like to call them portable.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #2,970 of 6,486

I'm just being snarky. I was giggling when I posted it. But yeah, headphones are by definition 'portable' even if they can often times be the size of small pots. The EL-8's profile is smaller than the rest of the so they are heading in the right direction if they'd like to call them portable.

Cool - it was hard to read the snark in your definition posting.  I guess I'm past the point in life where I care that other people see me wearing fry pan sized headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back