Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,087 of 6,486
That's a very bad marketing decision by Audeze.

I don't really care for the balanced option but 1.2m for the length of the standard cable is unacceptable for $699!

well, even many mid-fi portable closed headphones come with multiple cable options. for example the $100 v-moda m100 has a remote cable, long cable, and standard cable. additional cables arent that expensive.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,088 of 6,486
Copper is sitting at a 6-year low...cables are cheaper than ever.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,089 of 6,486
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2,091 of 6,486
The proprietary connectors for the EL-8 *will* be sold separately to both aftermarket cable makers, as well as available to dealers to sell directly to end users who want to roll their own cables.  They just won't be available at product launch this month (just like the apple cable with inline mic and volume control isn't going to be in stock before the first units ship, but will be ready for subsequent shipments).  But I've been assured by my rep they absolutely will be available to the WyWires, Nordosts, Double Helix, etc. of the world.  I will also be able to buy them as a dealer so I can sell them to end users or roll my own custom cables.  

No exact pricing yet.  No exact date for availability.  But it is coming.  Audeze is well aware that folks will want a custom solution for how they will use the headphones with their various devices/amplifiers and want to support that.  Saw some speculation about that in a few posts here and wanted to weigh in...

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2,093 of 6,486
At least show me its package and unbox picture, please
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #2,095 of 6,486
Fellas,

I'm just running errands for Alexandra so I can focus on nothing but the EL-8 in my office tonight!

I'm sorry, I started a draft on my MacBook but then I had to rush out to do some things for her, I'll be back soon and will be posting impressions ASAP!!

Literately sitting in a pharmacy right now with my boy Kevin and Kevin is a good person to get some impressions from also,
He's been bit by the personal audio bug, has a very decent headphone rig at home and his military experience let him hear a bunch of different headphone technologies so he's got a good ear for this and he's not necessarily in our bubble.

So I'm going to have him listen to them when we get home too.

Be back in an hour or so

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,097 of 6,486
I was hopping someone can share there knowledge with me.I recently bought the b&w p7 and I am enjoying the sound and the build but I feel like the clarity has more to be desire. I am still with in the period were I can return them, so I am really considering it so I can get the el8, my question is if there is someone who has auditioned bout headphones so they can shed some light in my decision

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,098 of 6,486

that was AWESOME!!! 
biggrin.gif

well fellaz

Havin' a listen...  NOW!!!

BUT - MUST say this, as its important:

Being a big Audeze fan (as many of you no doubt know already) - believe me when I say that my expectations are perhaps unreasonably high, and I'm just gonna shoot from the hip as I ALWAYS DO: Un-filtered. Good or bad:

That said - having worn them for at least 3 LPs thus far:

The EL-8 (open-back) are comfy as hell!
I love the feeling of these on my head, and I'll let you know if this continues... 

Clamping force is not an issue (which was - a small issue for me w/ the LCD-series - though the non-leather/vegan headband took care of that for me - we call it that as a JOKE - before the dopes start makin' fun of that) - neither is the weight. It felt this way upon first listen, but I wanted to wait a BIT before saying that - and again, I'll let you know if this continues...

They've literally been here for 3 hours - so WAY early for even Early Impressions, IMHO - but, just to share what I'm feeling right now: My AK240 as source:

These impressions were all written WHILE listening to the music listed...

Listening to: "Riant" - Recondite - Hinterland

The hovering synths are airy, and the speed of transient attack is WICKEDLY fast.
The mids - vibrant (colorful - NOT-colored) with a nice flow, solid presence, and definitely engaging. 
The bass, from what I remember - has been totally re-tuned/re-shaped/re-whatever!!
The bass (sub-bass and bass) is extended, punchy, perhaps a BIT too warm/too silky for me (and I LOVE warmth) - but, as with past Audezes - this tends to tighten-up with break-in - so lets see...

Listening to "Turn Away" - Beck - Morning Phase (96k/24-bit):

A quick note: Seen Beck a bunch of times - big venues, to SONOS Studios (very intimate):

His vocals are clearly and coherently rendered - actually the realism is striking at the moment. It's very revealing, the effect he often employs - the double-up and reverb. Trails off beautifully and STOPS. NO over-hang there.
The guitar work has wonderful space around it, and the plucks of the strings are also wonderfully realistic. They're not bloated or exaggerated, as I find with many systems when playing this song.

The overall imaging is different from past-models, and I need a little time to put my finger on explaining the difference - as its subtle, but noticeable...
The midrange, bottom-end, and highs are insanely balanced throughout this track! THAT'S what I thought reminded me of the LCD-X (its not so linear that its flat and boring - rather its my trusty monitoring system when I'm engineering). 

That's what I got so far as it's VERY soon. Also: There's NOTHING cheap about these cans. The headband and chassis is top-notch - and the wood-grain accent may not come through in pix well, but I like it. I would, however, LOVE an all-black version too!

Back to listening - Woo Audio WA7 next, and then off to the Sonic Satori Personal Audio Lab for some of my bigger reference stuff...

In the meantime:

my boy Kevin lovin' em w/ my AK240 (have his notes too - I know he's not a critic - but I think it's good to get impressions from people that are into headphones - but not SO into it like all of us):

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,100 of 6,486
Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back