Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,057 of 6,486
I don't think the el8 is intended to match any LCD performance.

+1. It's an entirely different line from the LCDs and at the very least will have a different sound signature.

I think Audeze is positioning these as a step up for people who have come into the headphone universe from the commercial brands like Beats and are now looking for a better performing headphone. If they could capture 1/10th of 1% of Beats owners, the EL line would be a huge success.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,058 of 6,486
+1. It's an entirely different line from the LCDs and at the very least will have a different sound signature.

I think Audeze is positioning these as a step up for people who have come into the headphone universe from the commercial brands like Beats and are now looking for a better performing headphone. If they could capture 1/10th of 1% of Beats owners, the EL line would be a huge success.

So, you think the EL8's sound quality is geared towards commercial brand users and not their main demographic, us headphone enthusiasts?  I would be disappointed if the EL8 came and it was a step up from Beats, even the best Beats so I hope you are wrong there.  

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,059 of 6,486

So, you think the EL8's sound quality is geared towards commercial brand users and not their main demographic, us headphone enthusiasts?  I would be disappointed if the EL8 came and it was a step up from Beats, even the best Beats so I hope you are wrong there.  

No, I don't mean that at all. I guess I should have been more clear that I see the SQ and target market were two different topics.

SQ - I expect the ELs to have a different sound signature than the LCDs. Still with the Audeze "house" sound but not a copy of the LCD.

Beats. I was speculating on Audeze looking to capture a chunk of the market of Beats owners who are looking for a headphone with significantly better SQ. Not a step up so much as moving into a different category of headphone quality.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #2,060 of 6,486
I am praying that the EL-8 audience will be folks that are in the grouping of the Senn HD-700, Sony Z7 and the Alpha Dog since they all fall into this price range. God help us if they are trying to grab some of the Beat's customers. I want a Audeze sound and not a Beat's sound signature.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #2,061 of 6,486
Tomorrow should be the big day! Hopefully Mike will have the final production unit and can start sharing some serious impressions.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #2,062 of 6,486

Which makes no sense to me as the LCD-3 and LCD-X have quite different sound signatures :wink:

I see no reason why the EL-8 can't sound like one of the LCD range, as a matter of principle, but there are bound to be some subtle differences as they are using some new techniques with the EL-8.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #2,063 of 6,486
As with all advancements in technology, I expect this generation to be better sounding, more durable, with better quality materials, and a further refined build process that makes it cheaper to build and more affordable for the consumer.  Sometimes the quest for TOTL to gain the last 0.001% of performance requires immense sacrifices in cost consideration.  This doesn't seem to be the intent of the EL-8, instead, it seems geared for the average enthusiast to appreciate all the learnings that Audeze has made to date.

So will it sound like an LCD*, to be honest, I don't think that really matters :)

As a consumer, I just want the EL-8 to take things a step forward for this price point.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #2,064 of 6,486

Which makes no sense to me as the LCD-3 and LCD-X have quite different sound signatures :wink:

I see no reason why the EL-8 can't sound like one of the LCD range, as a matter of principle, but there are bound to be some subtle differences as they are using some new techniques with the EL-8.

Good point about the different sigs on the 3 and the X. I don't expect it to be radically different but do think the design/construction will result in the EL8s being a different presentation of the Audeze house sound.

Hopefully we start to see more reviews and commentary about production units soon. I've preordered the closed version with the anticipation that these will be my "portable" cans.

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #2,065 of 6,486
  As with all advancements in technology, I expect this generation to be better sounding, more durable, with better quality materials, and a further refined build process that makes it cheaper to build and more affordable for the consumer.  Sometimes the quest for TOTL to gain the last 0.001% of performance requires immense sacrifices in cost consideration.  This doesn't seem to be the intent of the EL-8, instead, it seems geared for the average enthusiast to appreciate all the learnings that Audeze has made to date.

So will it sound like an LCD*, to be honest, I don't think that really matters :)

As a consumer, I just want the EL-8 to take things a step forward for this price point.

Agreed!

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #2,066 of 6,486
I see the BMW influence in the wood.  It looks EXACTLY like an interior wood trim option that BMW calls anthracite wood trim.  I wouldn't be surprised if the wood on the EL-8 is the same thing.

What's strange is that bmw also offers gloss black, brushed aluminum, matte carbon fiber, and gloss carbon fiber. Any of those would be better than the light wood on the prototypes.

Here's that matte carbon fiber,as seen on the shifter, emergency brake, center trim, and door handles.

So, I do think BMW design works can do good things.

Back on topic:
Actually, I've always been partial to Beyer Dynamics metal dominated designs. I think Bang and Oufsen could have consulted on a groovy design for the el8 as well. I do think the open backed el8 is very close. A nice brushed titanium ring instead of that veneer, and it'd be a winner in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back