Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
May 5, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #6,031 of 6,486
  I was listening to David Bowie's A Reality Tour album on my Pono, and the album was mastered really harshly, very sibilant. This horrifying 7kHz notch (which isn't a damn shelf, by the way) got rid of the harshness, and since the high end past that notch is so well-extended, I lost none of the atmosphere. On my old HD700, this album caused me to wince. In fact, I would still be wincing for a few seconds after turning the music off.

Best. Flaw. Ever.

Are people actually not enjoying the sound of these, or is the fact that there's a notch just driving people's OCD up the wall? "There should be no such notch!!!" *pushes up glasses*

A lot of people complaining about the sound have defective pairs and don't know it..........most that got a non-defective working pair love the sound more than just about any other headphone out there

May 5, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #6,032 of 6,486
With regards to the PM-3, I've always called it a closed HD600 with planar bass and a slight downward tilt to the whole FR. Not one feature will blow you away, and conversely not one issue will turn you away. Although since one is closed and one is open, it's not the best comparison in the world.

I will say this - if the EL-8C provided the same performance of the EL-8O, I'd gladly take the EL-8C over the PM-3. Big if.

May 5, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #6,033 of 6,486
He wasn't looking to compare the two. He already has the PM-3, he was looking to find something open that has a comparable signature. Which, I think he would find in the HE-400i a closer (but cleaner and more defined setup with slightly less bass) to the PM-3 than the EL8-O. Though, if he can spring for the difference, then he definitely won't be disappointed. I feel the difference between the PM-3 to the HE-400i is similar gap that the EL8-O shares over the HE-400i (but that could be just me).

May 5, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #6,034 of 6,486
  I was listening to David Bowie's A Reality Tour album on my Pono, and the album was mastered really harshly, very sibilant. This horrifying 7kHz notch (which isn't a damn shelf, by the way) got rid of the harshness, and since the high end past that notch is so well-extended, I lost none of the atmosphere. On my old HD700, this album caused me to wince. In fact, I would still be wincing for a few seconds after turning the music off.

Best. Flaw. Ever.

Are people actually not enjoying the sound of these, or is the fact that there's a notch just driving people's OCD up the wall? "There should be no such notch!!!" *pushes up glasses*

I don't think the 2016 has the notch, still a very smooth sounding headphone. Smoother and blacker than HE-560 going by memory, maybe a tad less detail but doesn't have the shrill nature of the 560.

May 5, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #6,035 of 6,486
In all honesty, I think the mere fact that there was a revision is enough to get people to "unhear" the notch, regardless of whether it is there or not. Hopefully we see graphs soon.

For the "only n00bs like the EL-8" crowd, do any of you prefer the HD700 to the EL-8?

May 5, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #6,036 of 6,486
In all honesty, I think the mere fact that there was a revision is enough to get people to "unhear" the notch, regardless of whether it is there or not. Hopefully we see graphs soon.

For the "only n00bs like the EL-8" crowd, do any of you prefer the HD700 to the EL-8?

Just you mentioning HD700 has my ears hurting and me cringing.

May 5, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #6,037 of 6,486
One thing i dont like so far (due to my fidgety nature) are how insanely stiff the riser adjusters are. The benefit being even tripping on the cord wont change those settings, and helps with that tank like feel. Man they are tight.

May 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #6,038 of 6,486
With my giant melon head, the thing's at full extension, and even then it's a little snug!

May 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #6,041 of 6,486
Well, yes I guess you could say that I was looking for something similar to the PM-3's sound signature.  Upon re-thinking my previous postings, I would say that I am looking for which one is definitely better than the PM-3.  I figured an open-back headphone was an obvious choice, since I plan on keeping it in my home and would love to have much better sound.  I guess what I was concerned on was the level and quality of the bass.  I don't think I would necessarily prefer more bass, but solid, detailed bass that one could consider appropriate levels for whatever the song called for.  It really sounds like the 2016 version of the EL-8 open fits that bill, i'm guessing?  I noticed that quite a few people are raving about the lows, mids and highs of the new version, too.  

I would be willing to pay for an EL-8 Open from Audeze's store if it is very clearly a great improvement over the PM-3, which it sounds like is true.  I would be using the PM-3 only when i'm mobile around the house, a vacation or something similar if I buy it.  I guess what is ultimately what I was looking for was for a clear improvement over the PM-3 with detailed, appropriately strong bass.  I would not consider myself a bass-head by any means, but it of course has to be there.

May 6, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #6,042 of 6,486

I'm one that really likes the HD-700 better, but I have an older EL8 so that may be the reason
rolleyes.gif
, if I ever get to audition a newer revision then I might change my opinion.

May 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #6,044 of 6,486
  Well, yes I guess you could say that I was looking for something similar to the PM-3's sound signature.  Upon re-thinking my previous postings, I would say that I am looking for which one is definitely better than the PM-3.  I figured an open-back headphone was an obvious choice, since I plan on keeping it in my home and would love to have much better sound.  I guess what I was concerned on was the level and quality of the bass.  I don't think I would necessarily prefer more bass, but solid, detailed bass that one could consider appropriate levels for whatever the song called for.  It really sounds like the 2016 version of the EL-8 open fits that bill, i'm guessing?  I noticed that quite a few people are raving about the lows, mids and highs of the new version, too.  

I would be willing to pay for an EL-8 Open from Audeze's store if it is very clearly a great improvement over the PM-3, which it sounds like is true.  I would be using the PM-3 only when i'm mobile around the house, a vacation or something similar if I buy it.  I guess what is ultimately what I was looking for was for a clear improvement over the PM-3 with detailed, appropriately strong bass.  I would not consider myself a bass-head by any means, but it of course has to be there.

Honestly, the open EL-8 is a pretty big jump from the PM-3.  The main reasons are:

* Faster sound, better transient response
* Significantly better soundstage
* Significantly better treble response

But ultimately you would have to be the judge when listening to both :)

May 6, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #6,045 of 6,486
  I'm one that really likes the HD-700 better, but I have an older EL8 so that may be the reason
rolleyes.gif
, if I ever get to audition a newer revision then I might change my opinion.

I was just curious to see if (how?) people would prefer a 6kHz stab over a 7kHz antinode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back