Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Oct 17, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #166 of 820
Quote:
Nope, the box says T50RP, and it's printed on the headphone's shell too.

I've seen and held Armaegis T50rp as well as seen pics of the internals of a T50rp. You only have to spend 15 minutes reading through the T50rp modder thread to know the T50rp is vented. If you made a mistake that's fine just drop the subject and be done with it. If you just didn't know that's fine too. If you want to be stubborn about it well that's also fine. It only takes a few PM's or just one post on the T50rp thread and I can guarantee you you'll get enough T50rp modders coming on this thread saying the vents breath.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #167 of 820
Quote:
beside this is way to big and heavy for portable

Who says closed = portable? I use closed headphones sitting at my desk at work. Others use them at home so as not to disturb their spouse. There are plenty of uses for a high quality closed headphone beyond using them while on-the-go. Personally, I'm not going to wear a 1K headphone on the subway no matter how good it sounds.

Quote:
Seems like a lot of hand waving here about "it can't possibly work", based more on assertion than on evidence. The fact that Audeze has produced a concept piece shows that at least in theory it can work. I would further suggest that people wait to compare the closed back version if and when it is released to the open back version to make pronouncements on the product's success.

Well said. While this is all very intriguing to those of us that enjoy the LCD-2/3, but lets wait and see what the final version looks/sounds like before judging too harshly.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #168 of 820
It's just an LCD-2 with grills removed, changed for a wood cup. Besides, the cups are screwed in, leaving allot of unsealed space... Probably not really isolating. Having said all that, I am - indeed - interested, specially after the 7100 from Denon (a good closed headphone, for say USD$700.00, but never a USD$1000.00+ worth, can't compete with HD800 or T1).

Anyways, to me closed headphones NEVER reach the full potential like an open flagship one (again, HD800 etc.), but it can come close and might be able to compete with a ~USD$900.00 open headphone or less, no more. Problem is: the closed headphones that reach the potential of a great USD$700.00 headphone - talking about sound quality, only, nothing else (that may justify the price etc.) - usually cost more than USD$1000.00...

So, my take: only use closed ones if you need (or if you're on the move).

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #170 of 820
Both major parties in the T50RP debate seem rather convinced of their own views. Is it possible that Foster pushed a revision of the T50RP past us at one point without notice, or is somebody just horribly mistaken?

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #172 of 820
have you listened to the th 900 
Quote:

Anyways, to me closed headphones NEVER reach the full potential like an open flagship one (again, HD800 etc.), but it can come close and might be able to compete with a ~USD$900.00 open headphone or less, no more. Problem is: the closed headphones that reach the potential of a great USD$700.00 headphone - talking about sound quality, only, nothing else (that may justify the price etc.) - usually cost more than USD$1000.00...

So, my take: only use closed ones if you need (or if you're on the move).

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #173 of 820
I disagree on the whole open/closed viewpoint. I love the high-end Beyers, and I think that the only thing keeping high-end closed headphones from being at the same level of all the other flagships is lack of interest.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #175 of 820
Quote:
While I, too, have been searching for a closed headphone that could be called a real reference headphone, I am inclined to believe that this may not exist for some time. The truth is that It is far easier to engineer a really great reference IEM than it is to build a closed, over-ear headphone...

For comfort reasons, I was hoping to pick a over-ear model instead of an IEM. Now, having found no suitable high-end options, I am starting to change my mind. It saddens my to see that recent attempts to succeed in this venture (such as the D7100) have been flops, en générale...

I wouldn't consider the Audeze line reference by any means. Have you looked into the Paradox for a ref phone?

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #177 of 820
Quote:
[1] I beg to differ. many reviewers and measurements would put the LCD's performance up there with the best of them.

[2] while I have not heard of them before, them seem quite expensive for, what amounts to be, simply a heavily modified Fostex T50RP. I would certainly not jump on them right away, and I expect them to have some difficult-to-DIY modification applied to help eliminate the serious resonances present in the stock version. Otherwise, I could certainly add dampening myself (I already have a lot of scrap material suitable for such a task left over from speaker and room modifications) if I wanted to do so.

I think you're misunderstanding what reference means. I would put the LCD's up there as well, but they aren't a reference headphone.

The basic entry into the Paradox is $495. That's hardly too expensive, when it competes with "TOTL".

And since you haven't heard them, don't assume things. They aren't simply a heavily modified Fostex T50RP.
I'm not sure if you know LFF or not, but he's not just a hobbyist, he has professional experience and tunes the headphones themselves
amongst doing other secretive modifications.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #179 of 820
Quote:
Quote:
I can confirm this, there's no felt on the vents in my pair, they're completely closed with solid plastic.  It's one piece too, its not a rectangle of plastic glued on, so it's not possible to remove them.  I wonder what this is all about...maybe this is why I hate them so much?  On my pair, they have the worst decay of any headphone I've ever owned, its absurdly uncontrolled and splashy, and there's a sharp peak in the upper mids...but I think that part's normal for T50 RPs.  Then again they also sound hollow, and extremely unnatural and off-kilter as far as balance goes...I'm just left wondering how much of this is attributable to my pair being sealed when others aren't, and why mine is different from the others.

Quote:
I opened them myself, there's solid plastic there.

If I remember correctly, the t40rp mkII is identical in overall looks to the t50rp mkII, but is completely closed.

I bought the T50RP... it says T50RP on the back. It said T50RP on the listing. It's a T50RP.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #180 of 820
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, the box says T50RP, and it's printed on the headphone's shell too.

I've seen and held Armaegis T50rp as well as seen pics of the internals of a T50rp. You only have to spend 15 minutes reading through the T50rp modder thread to know the T50rp is vented. If you made a mistake that's fine just drop the subject and be done with it. If you just didn't know that's fine too. If you want to be stubborn about it well that's also fine. It only takes a few PM's or just one post on the T50rp thread and I can guarantee you you'll get enough T50rp modders coming on this thread saying the vents breath.

He didn't make a mistake. There is definitely solid plastic behind the vents. I bought them for him and checked them out first. The vents are fake. I don't know about other pairs, but they're definitely fake on his pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back