Attn: Mac users. OmniWeb is now free!
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been using this Web browser for years now, and have to say that Head-Fi looks great in OmniWeb. For Mac users who want more control over browsing, yet want something that renders pages better than Firefox, I would not hesitate to recommend OmniWeb, especially because it's now free.

The Omni Group - OmniWeb

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 19
They obviously had no choice. They couldn't keep up with all the other browsers available, with Google Chrome coming soon and Firefox storming ahead. The icing on the cake was the latest Safari 4 Beta. Unfortunately, even though I paid for Omniweb, they seem to have little interest in updating it with the features necessary for it to be a great browser, such as inline search.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 19
Sweet! With all the hard competition from free browsers (Camino, Firefox, Safari, Opera, ...) I guess they had no option.
I will certainly give it a fair try.
smile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 19
If they've updated the version of Webkit in it, then it should be blazing fast. However, it has one serious flaw, it can end up chewing up insane amounts of memory. I could easily get it using 700+ MB of RAM with a few tabs open. Firefox for me used about 200-300 MB.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 19
Did you ever try to go to Preferences > History Preferences and set Limit disk cache to: 0 MB?

I'm not sure that would help in your case, but that's how I've always had that preference set and I've had no memory issues at all with heavy browsing going on, my Duet in use, and other applications running--and I'm using an old PowerMac G4. It's also nice that Cache Out X actually clears OmniWeb's history, whereas it will not work with Safari anymore, and it gets annoying to reset Safari or enable private browsing every time you launch the browser. Yasu doesn't even clear Safari's junk anymore, for that matter.

FWIW, with a bunch of tabs open right now, Activity Monitor reports 124.80 MB (real memory) in use for OmniWeb.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 19
I've had a paid license for years. I will say that in every single one of the situations where I contacted The Omni Group about problems related to OmniWeb, they fixed the bugs I reported and took the time to look after the problems with very professional communication.

To many, I know, it seems foolish to pay for something like a Web browser, but when you come to the realization that browsing the Internet is one of your most frequent uses for a computer, then it may be worth it to have a browser that enables you to work the way you want to work. Just have a look at all the preferences (including per-site settings) in OmniWeb compared to Safari, and it isn't hard to see that it's a better product.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what is better about it?

Compared to what?
This version in specific is "better" than the previous one for the fact that it no longer cost money. Feature wise I doubt there are any changes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back