ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #4,876 of 9,748
Yeah, I love the camphor and was all set to get it...but by the time I had enough money about saved..the cocobolo came out.

Exactly right! As soon as I saw those cocobolo pix:
  • I forgot about camphor
  • And my wallet was DOA (I lasted <2 weeks before caving in & ordering a cocobolo Atticus)
I saw plenty of pix cocobolo Omni/Ori's; they looked very nice, but I never felt this "gotta have it" thing like I did w/those A&E pix. Maybe that's because the A&E earcups are larger & have no pivot attachment in the middle of the earcup. As a result, any wood used really gets to strut its stuff...

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #4,877 of 9,748
I was PMing Zach just before the release of the limited versions, I had ordered a padauk Atticus and he mentioned cocobolo and oxidized cherry versions coming up, saying if I could grab one of those instead if I was willing to wait. I googled "cocobolo" and immediately PMed him back. how could I resist that luster? I'm sure this run will be some of the most beautiful headphones ever made. I'm excited to see what he comes up with for future limited editions, but I feel like it's going to be hard to top cocobolo. Maybe snakewood?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #4,878 of 9,748
Exactly right! As soon as I saw those cocobolo pix:
  • I forgot about camphor
  • And my wallet was DOA (I lasted <2 weeks before caving in & ordering a cocobolo Atticus)
I saw plenty of pix cocobolo Omni/Ori's; they looked very nice, but I never felt this "gotta have it" thing like I did w/those A&E pix. Maybe that's because the A&E earcups are larger & have no pivot attachment in the middle of the earcup. As a result, any wood used really gets to strut its stuff...

I agree.

I am listening to the Ori now...great headphone for the blues, I love it.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #4,879 of 9,748
Lots of Cocobolo sets being finished right now, will post a couple pics of them tomorrow.

Barnyard Cherry oxidation process is half complete and some cups are finished. We will start getting those assembled starting tomorrow as well!

Oh...need to update the order sheets too, you will see a mas update this friday.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #4,880 of 9,748
Lots of Cocobolo sets being finished right now, will post a couple pics of them tomorrow.

Barnyard Cherry oxidation process is half complete and some cups are finished. We will start getting those assembled starting tomorrow as well!

Oh...need to update the order sheets too, you will see a mas update this friday.

Wehere does one find those sheets?

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #4,881 of 9,748
Congrats on that wonderful purchase.

Care to post a pick of the camphor ?

I really like the look of camphor, a wood I'd never encountered before. I'd love to see pix of yours.

The pictures on ZMF website show quite a range of grain pattern and color variation (which is good--make the wood interesting IMO).

Just woke up, I'll post a pic after I had my coffee. Can't do anything before that. :wink:

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #4,882 of 9,748
Here it is. Not that I'm any good at taking pictures and it's just a quick iPhone pic.
Because of the wave pattern and varnish the wood has a velvety look from an angle.
It also changes in color and gets darker when you look straight at it.
Both cups are remarkably well matched.
Great work Zach, really happy with how nicely your phones and the woodwork are finished.

IMG_0545-private.jpg

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #4,883 of 9,748
I will have to check out the Fats Waller recommendation. Sounds interesting! How does the Eikon sound in the treble & midrange? Looking for a grainless pure sound. Sounds like the sub bass is right up my alley.

The Eikon wins in sub-bass and less treble roll, but the Atticus wins in mids and mid-bass. I feel the Atticus is smoother overall, but the Eikon is more precise with complex music with a slight edge in separation.

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #4,887 of 9,748
Here it is. Not that I'm any good at taking pictures and it's just a quick iPhone pic.
Because of the wave pattern and varnish the wood has a velvety look from an angle.
It also changes in color and gets darker when you look straight at it.
Both cups are remarkably well matched.
Great work Zach, really happy with how nicely your phones and the woodwork are finished.

Very nice!

Zach's varnish finish is really well-done. The wood is protected, yet none of its physical traits are concealed. With certain woods--like camphor; and ormosia henryi on my Ori--seeing all of it is part of the appeal IMO.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #4,888 of 9,748
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present my Atticus. As far as I know (and @zach915m please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first barnyard cherry Atticus in the wild (and also one of only two Atticus in South Africa - and possibly Africa). And before you ask, no, I didn't jump the queue; this is an A-stock Atticus with B-stock cups that Zach used to experiment with the cherry oxidisation process, and was kind enough to offer me. It uses a different and more complex process to the one he finally settled on, so yours will likely look slightly different, probably with a touch more shine. I'm yet to decide whether to keep mine this fine matte finish, or treat it with an oil or rub to bring out more of the grain and give it some more lustre. Working on that with Zach - but if anyone with carpentry experience has any suggestions, feel free. In the meantime, the sound is what really matters, and my pre-burn-in initial impressions make this the best closed headphone I've ever heard - with the best mids of any headphone (open or closed) I've had the privilege of auditioning. More to follow in the days and weeks ahead. Enjoy the gallery below.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #4,890 of 9,748
Nice pictures man!
And the barnyard cherry does look very nice I must say. I really dig both the color and it's matte, raw look.
Looks a lot better than standard cherry and Padauk if you ask me.
Thanks man. I agree - when I saw the darker colour of the barnyard finish I knew I had to have it (and Cocobolo being just a few hundred dollars too far for my budget). Wasn't much of a fan of the reddish pad auk or light yellow cherry - although the darker camphor is also gorgeous. One day I'd love to see a bocote or zebra wood version. I may just keep mine matte, or - depending on feedback from Zach and others - give it a light polish with a tung oil (or similar) to bring out that beautiful grain and add some shine without harming the dark colour base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back