ATH-W1000X Thread!
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #811 of 1,994
i bought them from buydig for 350 on ebay. i saw it, read reviews on it, bought it. simple as that. i fell in love with it right out of the box. these headphones sound way better than my mad dogs. the mids on these headphones are just so immersive, it's crazy.

iirc buydig isn't an auth'd reseller, but that's not a bad price. :xf_eek:

indeed, and the wing system works kinda for me. They feel light as a feather, until I move my head an the slide across mah hair lol

still great cans. Ioves mine as well! 

Out of curiosity, since yours are used - the foam on the wings, is it in good condition? On mine it's kind of "grippy" (not like "hold you together in a windstorm" grippy, but it certainly doesn't let them slide around like say, my RS-1 headband) - no idea how you'd "fix" this if the foam is worn out, but it's something I thought of while reading this.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #812 of 1,994
Quote:
iirc buydig isn't an auth'd reseller, but that's not a bad price.
redface.gif

Buydig is a subsidiary of Beach Camera, who is an authorized reseller.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #813 of 1,994
iirc buydig isn't an auth'd reseller, but that's not a bad price. :xf_eek:
Out of curiosity, since yours are used - the foam on the wings, is it in good condition? On mine it's kind of "grippy" (not like "hold you together in a windstorm" grippy, but it certainly doesn't let them slide around like say, my RS-1 headband) - no idea how you'd "fix" this if the foam is worn out, but it's something I thought of while reading this.

The foam is non grippy, or if it is my thick hair is messing with it. I also have oily Sicilian hair. Despite daily washing its always beautif

But my dts fit badly when my hair gets as thick as it is, so a hair.cut might b the problem

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #814 of 1,994
Buydig is a subsidiary of Beach Camera, who is an authorized reseller.  

I did not know that - I'm not seeing them overtly claim that on their website, but the site (and policies) look almost 1:1 from the Beach website, so I'm not doubting it. The only question would be, if you submitted a warranty ticket to AT, would they "get" this as well? :ph34r:

The foam is non grippy, or if it is my thick hair is messing with it. I also have oily Sicilian hair. Despite daily washing its always beautif

But my dts fit badly when my hair gets as thick as it is, so a hair.cut might b the problem

Hrm - not really sure what the "fix" is there. My hair is fairly short, and the "wings" grip pretty well. Shaving your head for audio wouldn't be the craziest thing I've seen though - and I actually vaguely remember a thread a few years ago about shaving it all off just for a better seal with headphones...:ph34r:

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #816 of 1,994
Quote:
That's it. I'm going bald guys.

xD I think the rubber band trick might work, but I know my byers fit a little wierd if my hair gets to long

so hopefully less hair will mean a better fit. because atm the fit is perfect! After 4 days the cans have adjusted to my head nicely

and the stock pads suck, they are UNCOMFRATBLE and they hurt my ears. So I'm glad i got the L3000 pads :D

When my solid state amp comes in ill re review these with it, and I'll do the same for my L3000 pads

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #817 of 1,994
xD I think the rubber band trick might work, but I know my byers fit a little wierd if my hair gets to long

so hopefully less hair will mean a better fit. because atm the fit is perfect! After 4 days the cans have adjusted to my head nicely

and the stock pads suck, they are UNCOMFRATBLE and they hurt my ears. So I'm glad i got the L3000 pads :D

When my solid state amp comes in ill re review these with it, and I'll do the same for my L3000 pads

How huge are your ears? :p

IMHO the stock pads aren't bad (even compared to the W5000); my only real complaint is that they get kind of warm after a few hours (which is something I've noticed pretty consistently with artificial leathers; not that leather is "much better" in this regard). And no, I haven't gotten a mind to rip the pads off of both of them and attempt a swap as a comparison. :xf_eek:

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #818 of 1,994
Quote:
How huge are your ears?
tongue.gif

IMHO the stock pads aren't bad (even compared to the W5000); my only real complaint is that they get kind of warm after a few hours (which is something I've noticed pretty consistently with artificial leathers; not that leather is "much better" in this regard). And no, I haven't gotten a mind to rip the pads off of both of them and attempt a swap as a comparison.
redface.gif

lol pretty big I suppose

So I got my Solid State today and wow it really refined these alot! My leanest Hybrid Tube is still warmer than this Solid state, and that's with a l4990, a lean but warm op Amp. Still sound stage has increased. Treble is nicer, upper mids are nicer, lower mids loose a little bit of body. Detail is pretty good, well great really [I might be using the w1000x for everything, as I'm running to much power in my room e.e]

a 600watt psu pc and 3 amps.... my land lord is afraid I'm going to blow the room up lol, it is an old house. So again, going to be using the solid state and w1000x as a primary for a while lol

Lookng forward to getting those new pads, WHO boi, if those pads make the mids even more forward! We might have a clear winner here! As I like the improved tighness in the whole sound sig, the bigger sound stage as well, and ofc the only real issue is the mids r not as forward as I'd like. But again the L3000 pads should fix that! 

Yea vocals are not as intimate as I'd like them to be, once again the clear top rca 12ua7a Indeed G3 is a winner. Still the Matrix Mstage [with imporved power] is worth the buy. Great for gaming, and yea the bass is really nice and tight! Just need those mid focused pads lol! 

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #819 of 1,994
lol pretty big I suppose

So I got my Solid State today and wow it really refined these alot! My leanest Hybrid Tube is still warmer than this Solid state, and that's with a l4990, a lean but warm op Amp. Still sound stage has increased. Treble is nicer, upper mids are nicer, lower mids loose a little bit of body. Detail is pretty good, well great really [I might be using the w1000x for everything, as I'm running to much power in my room e.e]

a 600watt psu pc and 3 amps.... my land lord is afraid I'm going to blow the room up lol, it is an old house. So again, going to be using the solid state and w1000x as a primary for a while lol

Lookng forward to getting those new pads, WHO boi, if those pads make the mids even more forward! We might have a clear winner here! As I like the improved tighness in the whole sound sig, the bigger sound stage as well, and ofc the only real issue is the mids r not as forward as I'd like. But again the L3000 pads should fix that! 

Yea vocals are not as intimate as I'd like them to be, once again the clear top rca 12ua7a Indeed G3 is a winner. Still the Matrix Mstage [with imporved power] is worth the buy. Great for gaming, and yea the bass is really nice and tight! Just need those mid focused pads lol! 

I'm guessing here, but I doubt you'll be able to *just* change the mids - expect other changes to occur when you swap the pads. That said, I'd still be interested in what you find; and I'm honestly considering trying out the W5000 pads this afternoon just to do it. :xf_eek:

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #820 of 1,994
Quote:
I'm guessing here, but I doubt you'll be able to *just* change the mids - expect other changes to occur when you swap the pads. That said, I'd still be interested in what you find; and I'm honestly considering trying out the W5000 pads this afternoon just to do it.
redface.gif

not Change the mids, but they are too tight with the solid state, apprently the pads do not change the mids, but rather they make the mids more forward. Like with an amp. non of my tubes change the sounds but rather the presentation, the L3000 pads make the mids more forward and the rest of the spectrum tighter and not as lush, from what people say that is

so there's nothing to "change" but rather some reorganzing to do! 

I also think I under powered my w1000x with the solid state, it sounds nice an rich on FULL power with my dt 880s

, yea even with more power the w1000x still sound a little veiled maybe, the soft gentle touch of the mids is lost on the solid state,

so still, people say teh L3000 pads make vocals very intimates and let's hope that's exacty what happens. I'll find out soon enough! 

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #821 of 1,994
Quote:
not Change the mids, but they are too tight with the solid state, apprently the pads do not change the mids, but rather they make the mids more forward. Like with an amp. non of my tubes change the sounds but rather the presentation, the L3000 pads make the mids more forward and the rest of the spectrum tighter and not as lush, from what people say that is

so there's nothing to "change" but rather some reorganzing to do! 

I also think I under powered my w1000x with the solid state, it sounds nice an rich on FULL power with my dt 880s

, yea even with more power the w1000x still sound a little veiled maybe, the soft gentle touch of the mids is lost on the solid state,

so still, people say teh L3000 pads make vocals very intimates and let's hope that's exacty what happens. I'll find out soon enough! 

so I had the gain way to high and the volume well to low, there is anice full sound with the ss on the w1000x when i keep the gain low, as the additional noise with higher gains RUINS everything, later in that day they sounded TO full, funny me and damn me being here at  ;ole 2 am as everything sounds strange at that time

but i'm listening to "To Build a Home" and it's really beautiful on the w1000x! More so that it is on the dt 880, the 880 has the HEAVY piano notes too powerful or to forward that it drowns the vocals, where as the w1kx keeps everything nice and level.  Again those pads are going to be nice! if they do what they are said to do, plus the additional comfort is needed. And the bass is very nice on these through the ss! 

Sadly though as much as I love my indeed g3 [the hybrid tube I paired these with] the Matrix M is really doing these cans justice! I still miss the extra mid warmth of the hybrid tube, but I don't miss the distant treble and slighty smaller sound stage. 

So again looking forward to the new pads! 

WOW, just started playing some Chili Peppers, and MAN it sounds really good! Flea's bass KICKS, while Anthonys Vocal SLAM and ofc Frushante's guitrar riffs are really nice, very impressed! 

Still though hoping those new pads bring out the mids alittle <3 
Listening to hard to conentrate, and man that bass line, very intiamte with the solid state and the w1000x. Nice and tight with sufficent warmth! 

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #823 of 1,994
Hey everyone, I stumbled onto these headphones today and I was wondering if anyone has ever compared them to the HifiMan HE-400s for electronic music? I'm reading that these are superb but some things concern me. 

First, some are comparing these to Grados and I owned a pair of SR60is and I really did not like the sound at all. They were harsh and lacked a lot in terms of depth and layering. So how do these differ? Are they completely different? Or are they the same as most Grados? 

Secondly, how do these stack up to headphones like the LCD-2s and HD650s and HD800s?

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #824 of 1,994
Quote:
Hey everyone, I stumbled onto these headphones today and I was wondering if anyone has ever compared them to the HifiMan HE-400s for electronic music? I'm reading that these are superb but some things concern me. 

First, some are comparing these to Grados and I owned a pair of SR60is and I really did not like the sound at all. They were harsh and lacked a lot in terms of depth and layering. So how do these differ? Are they completely different? Or are they the same as most Grados? 

Secondly, how do these stack up to headphones like the LCD-2s and HD650s and HD800s?

I wouldn't and I don't use mine for eleltronic. The bass is sufficently tight enough for them but a little to laid back for me, in addition I use a Solid State with a l4990 opamps [which is lean yeet slighty warm]and the layering and imagining is great for me! No harshess or lack of depth and layering, non the less this is not an EDM kinda of can. I Love mine with classical jazz, orchestral and post rock, where as my dt 990 and y xb 700s do the edm better [edm= eltronic dance music] 

So I might try one of the many cheaper options out there for electro music, also check out this thread 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club/5640#post_9295063

If you like bass heavy music with clear vocals and smooth highs, they can give u a great recommendation. As these cans r a little to mid heavy for me [as I like my edm through v shaped cans]

Still though they are great cans! If you want a beautiful pair of woodies and a nice smooth laid back yet deep sound give em a try! 

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #825 of 1,994
Quote:

you should take a look into the denon d2000 or the he-400 for electronic music. EDM and electronic sounds good on the woodies, but not as well as i'd like them to be. Usually I use my mad dogs for EDM because the bass is much faster and is less 'echo'-ey. If you listen solely to electronic, then these are probably not for you. For an all rounder, I've seen better, but these can definitely pull it off imo (only if you're willing to get aftermarket earpads + mods to make the sound tighter. too romantic stock  XD).

other than that, these headphones have really really really good timbre. soundstage is very large, easy to tell the direction/placement of instruments (3d). bass is very present in music, but not fast enough for electronic. you'll have to mod it to make it sound good for electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back