ATH-W1000X Thread!
Mar 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #796 of 1,994
Quote:
I think It's kinda overpriced for the amount of power it offers but what do you guys think of the Woo Audio WA6?

well I hear Woo Audio makes amazing products but I've never heard one

r u talking about the DarkVoice btw? 

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #797 of 1,994
Adding series resistors to the output will make the load see a higher output impedance, yes. But that isn't anything I'd worry about with the W1000X (they're quite stable). That said, they really don't need an amplifier with absurd amounts of power (they're *very* sensitive), so I'm not sure why you'd want something like the Lyr or similar to drive them. :xf_eek:

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #798 of 1,994
Quote:
Adding series resistors to the output will make the load see a higher output impedance, yes. But that isn't anything I'd worry about with the W1000X (they're quite stable). That said, they really don't need an amplifier with absurd amounts of power (they're *very* sensitive), so I'm not sure why you'd want something like the Lyr or similar to drive them.
redface.gif

I've got a Hybrid Millet Whiplash modded, with an inpedance switch as well as a Solid State with gain options on the way, sadly my indeed G3 does not have optional gain and it drives almost every can I have to max volume at around 9-10 o clock e.e

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #801 of 1,994
Quote:

Got my cans in today and 

#1 the fit is strange, the Pads do not adjust up and down only left and right, which is damn stupid of audio technica. I mean a $700 head phone and you stupid people can't give it a more full range of motion... I saw a few videos that suggested we warp out head bands, and this has helped as mine are now sufficently warped.

In addition they are very lighty and the pleather pad is very annoying and is almost to small for my apprently big ears, I hope the L3000 pad [which is still in processing -.-] makes a little bit of a differeance. As I wouldn't mind a more forward mid sound on these. Although amazingly [wow nice detail] I'm using them with my THICK warm amp :O

so I am enjoying them despite the stupid freaking head band. And these seriously need to be recabled and hell I'd even go so far as to have these slammed into a nice Byerydanic Head Band! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656131/ath-w1000x-review#post_9273591

The review, not sure if I like the thin tube with these or the thick... I'm leaning with the thin after using the thick for a good while. I finally got the fit right. Had to widen them out a little 

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #802 of 1,994
you bought yours for $700? They actually go for under 400 now lol.

As for the headband, it can be a bit loose for some people. I find it extremely comfortable and snug.

By the way, why do you need to recable them?

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #803 of 1,994
Quote:

As for the headband, it can be a bit loose for some people. I find it extremely comfortable and snug.

HECk no, I paid $300 for em. But they are $700 new... or they where. Either way at some point they costed that much lol. Still I paid $300 for em

but yea the head band sucks... I had to really WARP the crap out of it and widen it out a little. Made it a little tighter again'st my head. but I still can't move around to much

and Why re cable, cuz the stock cable looks terrible <3. I like Coiled and straight cables, this LONG stock cable just looks cheap 

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #804 of 1,994

+1. The headband isn't really a problem imho - the more adjustable version on the A900X is actually a worse fit IME. The earpads will "expand" a little bit as they warm up, but it's certainly a snug fit. Really not too many complaints overall - they're a well put together headphone, if a bit quirky (and the various fit issues with 3D Wing have been documented over the years - the easiest "mod" I've yet seen is a shoe-lace across the wings, which should solve the vast majority of fit concerns). On the pricing (and this is at @gmoney) - under $400 *where*? I've seen them no lower than $450 BNIB from authorized dealers; I know that years ago Expo was letting them go for ~$375 on a promotion, but that wasn't every-day pricing.

To Mshenay - perhaps the W1000X just aren't for you...it seems like they aren't "jiving" with you out of the box (and I really have gotten a sense, over the ~3 years these have been available, that people tend to either fall for them out of the box, or can never quite get into them). On the cable, I'm not sure I'd lay down the cash for a recable, but it's certainly an AT cable - quite springy and long. I wouldn't expect any problems from it, but it's certainly not as smooth and behaved as say, the cabling on a modern Grado. Also - it's bloody hard to follow some of your posts. :xf_eek:

Anyways, thanks for posting impressions and pictures.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #805 of 1,994
Oh i warped the crap outa the head band I mastered the ear fit n now i loves em

Because i love em ima recable em, but the sound is prefect, n the fit is very light which is new to me, but the fit is great now

So i got it to jive lol, i jst have a big head n ears, but she's workin for her new daddy

Most certainly a great buy, N i love the price i paid... 300$ used refurbished

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #807 of 1,994
Quote:
Yeah, definitely "light" fitting (despite weighing ~350g); glad you got'em working. Do they look cone-head style now?
tongue.gif

xD yea maybe, I might still try the rubber band mod but I think maybe not as they fit decently well after the bending. I made the head band a little wider and not as tall. 

But I got a Lean Solid State on the way to :D Friday these things should get better AND mosnter hunter is out today... YAY, so  I will TOTALLY enjoy these cans with a great game [a game taht has a very mid favored bgm :D

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #808 of 1,994
Quote:
Oh i warped the crap outa the head band I mastered the ear fit n now i loves em

Because i love em ima recable em, but the sound is prefect, n the fit is very light which is new to me, but the fit is great now

So i got it to jive lol, i jst have a big head n ears, but she's workin for her new daddy

Most certainly a great buy, N i love the price i paid... 300$ used refurbished

If the wing system and clamp are good for your head shape, AT headphones barely feel like they are there on your head.  I do think the W1000X's dual flat metal band have less clamp than some of the round metal bands on other AT headphones so they can be loose and rest uncomfortably on the top of some people's ears.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #809 of 1,994
Quote:
On the pricing (and this is at @gmoney) - under $400 *where*? I've seen them no lower than $450 BNIB from authorized dealers; I know that years ago Expo was letting them go for ~$375 on a promotion, but that wasn't every-day pricing.

i bought them from buydig for 350 on ebay. i saw it, read reviews on it, bought it. simple as that. i fell in love with it right out of the box. these headphones sound way better than my mad dogs. the mids on these headphones are just so immersive, it's crazy.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #810 of 1,994
Quote:
i bought them from buydig for 350 on ebay. i saw it, read reviews on it, bought it. simple as that. i fell in love with it right out of the box. these headphones sound way better than my mad dogs. the mids on these headphones are just so immersive, it's crazy.

indeed, and the wing system works kinda for me. They feel light as a feather, until I move my head an the slide across mah hair lol

still great cans. Ioves mine as well! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back