ATH-W1000X Thread!
Mar 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #782 of 1,994
oh gawd they scale with the amp... just like the mad dogs I sold to get these xD

Still, I'm working my up through Hybrid Tubes amp, n one of these days I'll get a nice one.

Althogh I love my Indeed G3, with a clear top tube it has the best of solid state and tube :O the best $100 I ever spent! 

Still though the Millet Whiplash Modded, I have now is having issues with sound going out on one side [due to crappy rca ins... silly thing I might try [eww] 3.5mm inter connection]

Non the less that neccitates a new amp xD and ofc a better one 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #784 of 1,994
any one with pics ot the L3000 leather pads

In addution I'm picking up a Matrix M-Stage v2 for the w1000x, it's coming with 3 opamps 

Dark n fat [OP2134]
Warm n Tight [LME4990]
Lean n Mean [LME49720HA]

So I'm going to start in the middle and see if I want the tighter op amp

any one know exactly how to roll opamps e.e

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #785 of 1,994
Quote:
any one with pics ot the L3000 leather pads

In addution I'm picking up a Matrix M-Stage v2 for the w1000x, it's coming with 3 opamps 

Dark n fat [OP2134]
Warm n Tight [LME4990]
Lean n Mean [LME49720HA]

So I'm going to start in the middle and see if I want the tighter op amp

any one know exactly how to roll opamps e.e

You  open it, unplug the old one and plug in the new one, as simple as that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU5cuLL9OnQ

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #786 of 1,994
i used a mini-flathead to pry up both sides evenly and slowly until it comes out. This ensures that you won't damage the one already in there. By the way, I prefer warm and tight if you know what I mean. XD Curse my dirty mind.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #787 of 1,994
I listened to these for a couple of hours last night straight out of the box and all I can say is WOW! They're so rich and meaty down low without interfering with rest of the spectrum. These are better than all the midrange offerings I have tried or owned such as the HD600/650, K702, and DT880. Anyone know a good quality non Chinese tube amp for $600 or less to pair with these because the Lyr is just too much?

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #788 of 1,994
I use mine with the Lyr, E188cc tubes and I really do not have any noise.  If noise is a problem I may have a few resistors from my Grados send me a PM if you have issues.

Thanks for the offer but I read that adding resistors effectively increases the output impedance of the amp so I'm looking for a good all tube transformer coupled amp.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #789 of 1,994
To be honest I think solid state is better for W1000X, tubes seem to emphasise the mid-bass a bit much (at least they did for my tastes). 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #790 of 1,994
Quote:
To be honest I think solid state is better for W1000X, tubes seem to emphasise the mid-bass a bit much (at least they did for my tastes). 

I agree, I'm looking at Solid State right now. I'm getting the L3000 pads which cut dwn the mids a little and tighten the WHOLE sound stage up. In addition my Clear Top tube is... pretty LEAN, yea It has some of those nice tube mids but it's mostly air sound stage and smooooth emphasized highs [should again pair nice with the w1000x]

BUT any one know a good LEAN SS, I've looked at the Matrix Mstage v2 as well as the O2, I'm also looking at a HEAVYLY Modded Audio Cube, all around the $250 mark. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #792 of 1,994
Quote:
Well I was look at a tube amp to tame the highs a bit and maybe add a bit more lushness to the mids particularly for female vocals.

Clear tops will do just that, the are very tight and very lean. But the SMOOOOTH trebele out very nicely while still keeping a great sense of airyness to it, and ofc being a tube it adds a little bit o lushness, 

I use a 12ua7a Rca CLear Top in my hybrid indeed G3 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #793 of 1,994
Quote:
 I'm getting the L3000 pads which cut dwn the mids a little and tighten the WHOLE sound stage up.

Are you sure? From what I've heard, it brings out the mids even more than before. (According to fellow member Mercuttio.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/544507/ath-w1000x-mods/30

And yes, I agree with solid states. I prefer solid state bass vs tube bass.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #794 of 1,994
Oh yea you might be right, well i'll put it this way. My rca Clear top in my Hybrid tube is NOT as lush asmy op2227 solid state [and that's in my cheaop cMoy bb] So if the tube has less mids and lush than the OMG WARM solid state I think it will b ok but hell I can buy a solid state.

Some ppl said that it added more PUNCH to the mids as opposed to adding more lushness. I want that PUSH that mids have! That's where the real beauty is, the mad dog did NOT have that mid tighness, the mids where a little to lush for me, not real feel again'st me ears to them

the dt 880s have nice tight mids, you can really feel the mids notes! And again that tactility is what makes them so beautiful! Such a gentle warm "touch" as it where 

OMG THOSE MIDS

Listening to Monster Hunter Tri OST [LOSSLESS] Opening theme, and wow there's a nice horn that sounds BEAUTIFUL on my dt 880s with my THICK tube. I bought a solid state to use with the w1000x just in case [plus it's a sexy ss amp] so I'm looking forward to those sexy mids! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back