ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Mar 20, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #797 of 888
Hello again

as far as the Burson op-amp replacement... haven't actually opened the card, however I see in the pic in the 1st page of the thread that it houses 2 x Muses 8920 & 1 x Muses 8820 op-amps and in fact, these are both compatible with v5i.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

As far as the daughter board, I do have it right next to me and there are 2 sets of op-amps in it.

3 x LM 4562NA & 6 x JRC 2114D

Now, the former is also compatible it seems, however there's a variation in the latter.

NJM 2114 is supported, but not JRC. Is this the same company under a new name or sth?

If it is indeed, what's the Hi-Fi experts opinion here? Should I go for a 6 or a 12 op-amp replacement?

Cheers

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #798 of 888
@ancientz New Japan Radio Company, Limited, manufactures the NJM2114 High Performance Low Noise Dual Operational Amplifier in three case formats; the NJM2114D (JEDEC 8-pin Dual Inline Package) may very well have some technical improvements on the JRC2114D that preceded it. For initial trials of the BURSON® V5i, I advise installing eight across all I-V positions and leaving the National Semiconductor®/Texas Instruments LM4562N's in place in the line-level buffer positions; "rolling" the V5i's will expose their characteristics across all output positions and give you data for final placement.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #799 of 888
Thanks for chiming in also.

By installing eight, I assume you mean replacing (6 x JRC 2114D) + (2 x Muses 8920) or I'm getting it totally wrong here?

A plain computer user here, not a Hi-Fi guru lol.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #800 of 888
@ancientz On the STX II as shipped, the MUSES® 8920 is in the I-V position, the 8820 in the line-level buffer. The V5i's would replace the 8920's on the STX II and the JRC- or NJM2114D's on the X6 daughtercard (as on the original ST and STX), so the "I-V amp roll" set-up should have eight V5i's (two on the STX II and six on the X6), three LM4562's (on the X6), and one 8820 (on the STX II).

May 6, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #802 of 888
Can anyone here tell me the code which is printed onto the preinstalled Muses 8820 of the buffer socket? Its legs came off I threw it away years ago but I can't remember the code.

May 6, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #803 of 888
Hello there, newbie on this thread. Just got a secondhand stx11, is it possible to use rca's on the daughterboard to provide output to an analogue headphone amp, keeping the main card set to my power amp ? Thankyou in advance.

May 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #804 of 888
Hello there, newbie on this thread. Just got a secondhand stx11, is it possible to use rca's on the daughterboard to provide output to an analogue headphone amp, keeping the main card set to my power amp ? Thankyou in advance.
Yep, you can connect the STX2's line-output (RCAs) to just about anything with a line-input, like really any external amplifier (headphone or otherwise).
But the STX2 can not send it Dolby Headphone thru the line-outputs.
Any software that can pre-process headphone surround sound, can then feed that signal thru the STX2 and it's line-output. (which my PowerDVD software can do)
The STX2's RCA output should offer slightly better audio quality, then the signal that runs thru the STX2's headphone jack.
You might consider upgrading the STX2's three op-amps (operational amplifiers).

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #806 of 888
Hi everybody. I've just bought this card. I tried to find a previous answer here on the forum, but I didn't find it. So, my BIG problem is the awful latency using the line in/microphone port. Does anybody use this card to record? How did you fix the problem? I tried with Unixonar drivers, even with low latency but nothing happens.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #807 of 888
Hello,
I have an STX ii and got three Burson V5i... After installing all three I have a constant crackling / hizzing noise.
So the Burson support asked me to remove the LP Stage and use only two in Stage I/V.

Now the crackling noise is gone, what does this mean?

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #808 of 888
Hello,
I have an STX ii and got three Burson V5i... After installing all three I have a constant crackling / hizzing noise.
So the Burson support asked me to remove the LP Stage and use only two in Stage I/V.

Now the crackling noise is gone, what does this mean?
I have tested the dual V6 Burson opamp’s (Classic, Vivid) but sold these because the original was better.
I haven’t got any noise problem with opamp’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back