Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,336 of 3,573
The LM29990 is negative voltage regulator so this can be replaced with lm337, the lm2940 can be replaced with lm317.

Actually they are no direct replacements because the lm2990 and 40 are fixed power regulators while the lm317 and 337 are not, so it would need additional circuit elements for setting the voltage.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,337 of 3,573
Guess that's the conclusion of that. LOL.

Tim

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,338 of 3,573
I have removed the LME49990's from the I/V. I just couldn't stand those everlasting, piercing "daggers" flying right in my ear canal sent from the higher frequencies (howdy 6k!). And yeah, they did oscillate too
triportsad.gif

So I went with the stock fitting of the E1 again for a few days. - Good old NE5532's
wink_face.gif
Yeah, they definately sound a bit warmer and they emphasize the bass more than some others (which is good for me!). However, they do sound less detailed, less extended in the bottom-end and narrow the soundstage by just a bit more among the highend LME49990's. However, most importantly, those piercing "daggers" are less present now.

I thought like: "Hmm, damnit! that didn't quite worked out well... where are my god damn AD797BR's?!"
They still haven't arrived from China since I ordered them almost 3 weeks from now.

Anyway. I was thinking: "Let's try it the way, I initially wanted to place the LME49990's at - if I would have got the AD797BR's right from the start." - in the headphone buffer!
And, oh my... that synergy
basshead.gif
! At first I thought I had the Equalizer still on (yeah, I know. Shame on me! But I had to! "Dem daggerz" - you know
rolleyes.gif
...).

The "almost" stock (replacement)-NE5532's in the I/V and the 2x LME49990's being in the headphone buffer, the sound changed noticeably for me. My favorite tracks do sound more clear and "further away" from me now and even the bass, being the same in quantity as before, seem to extend more now.
I can feel the very bottom end of the bass tickle my ears and solar plexus as soon as they fully extend - yeah, really! I'm not making this up!
atsmile.gif
, I'm sure you happen to experienced that yourself once in a while (e.g. with speakers).

I would love to hear what it may sound like with the AD797BR's being in the I/V. However, I'm quite sure they may oscillate too, just like my current LME49990's probably may...
triportsad.gif

Keep in mind that even though I'm impressed by the sound right now, the diffrence, in all objectivity, is still quite subtle. It is just for me that of a diffrence, as I happen to know my music collection in and out.
Still space for improvement here. The treble is still too bright for me - darker it shall be!
biggrin.gif

Kind of an update. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,339 of 3,573
Quote:
I

have removed the LME49990's from the I/V. I just couldn't stand those everlasting, piercing "daggers" flying right in my ear canal sent from the higher frequencies (howdy 6k!). And yeah, they did oscillate too
triportsad.gif

So I went with the stock fitting of the E1 again for a few days. - Good old NE5532's
wink_face.gif
Yeah, they definately sound a bit warmer and they emphasize the bass more than some others (which is good for me!). However, they do sound less detailed, less extended in the bottom-end and narrow the soundstage by just a bit more among the highend LME49990's. However, most importantly, those piercing "daggers" are less present now.

I thought like: "Hmm, damnit! that didn't quite worked out well... where are my god damn AD797BR's?!"
They still haven't arrived from China since I ordered them almost 3 weeks from now.

Anyway. I was thinking: "Let's try it the way, I initially wanted to place the LME49990's at - if I would have got the AD797BR's right from the start." - in the headphone buffer!
And, oh my... that synergy
basshead.gif
! At first I thought I had the Equalizer still on (yeah, I know. Shame on me! But I had to! "Dem daggerz" - you know
rolleyes.gif
...).

The "almost" stock (replacement)-NE5532's in the I/V and the 2x LME49990's being in the headphone buffer, the sound changed noticeably for me. My favorite tracks do sound more clear and "further away" from me now and even the bass, being the same in quantity as before, seem to extend more now.
I can feel the very bottom end of the bass tickle my ears and solar plexus as soon as they fully extend - yeah, really! I'm not making this up!
atsmile.gif
, I'm sure you happen to experienced that yourself once in a while (e.g. with speakers).

I would love to hear what it may sound like with the AD797BR's being in the I/V. However, I'm quite sure they may oscillate too, just like my current LME49990's probably may...
triportsad.gif

Keep in mind that even though I'm impressed by the sound right now, the diffrence, in all objectivity, is still quite subtle. It is just for me that of a diffrence, as I happen to know my music collection in and out.
Still space for improvement here. The treble is still too bright for me - darker it shall be!
biggrin.gif

Kind of an update. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Thanks for the update. Kinda curious to know what headphones you  were doing the test with, I think the HD800?!

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #1,340 of 3,573
AD797 works wonderfully in buffer.

Tim

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,341 of 3,573
Quote:
Didn't think my words were harsh, must have been read differently on your side.

Check your inbox.

Tim

Hey Tim,

Just responded - check your inbox.

Nah... i didn't think your words were harsh - you got me wrong there as well... - ha! i just felt bad to have someone purchasing something for me across two continents. My earlier comments was meant to be a lighthearted query.

Anyway i love talking to you guys here... so helpful and knowledgeable. you guys rocks!!!
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,342 of 3,573
Quote:
Thanks for the update. Kinda curious to know what headphones you  were doing the test with, I think the HD800?!

Yes.
Quote:
AD797 works wonderfully in buffer.

Tim

Oh, I would love to test them right now but still nothing in my mail
frown.gif

They may oscillate in the I/V (and maybe in buffer too) - I will make some tests later this day.

I will have to fly you in and fix my E1... do your magic... turn them into a fire breathing dragon, not a big deal - you know

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,343 of 3,573
Someone in this topic stated that the ad797 is stable in i/v when followed by 49720/49860/4562 in the lpf. I am using the ad797 right now in the i/v but i haven´t found a perfect combination yet. with the 49720ha in lpf it is too bright and thin sounding, with 49860 and 4562 not quite as detailed. I am still waiting for adapters to test the opa827 and 49990.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,344 of 3,573
Quote:
Someone in this topic stated that the ad797 is stable in i/v when followed by 49720/49860/4562 in the lpf. I am using the ad797 right now in the i/v but i haven´t found a perfect combination yet. with the 49720ha in lpf it is too bright and thin sounding, with 49860 and 4562 not quite as detailed. I am still waiting for adapters to test the opa827 and 49990.

I really like the sound of the 49990 in the buffer. They give me the detail I was missing with more extended bass and without touching the highs too much.
AD797 in I/V and 49990 in the buffer might be a really nice combo. You should try it out and let us know what you think!

Are your AD797's in the I/V stable? What headphones are you using?

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,345 of 3,573
Quote:
Yes.
snip....

Kenion, almost everybody I know who owns a HD800, prefers it with a tube amp, or a solid amp with a bass and warm sig.
this brings me to the question, did anybody try the muses with the HD800? and did he/she enjoy it?

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,346 of 3,573
Quote:
I really like the sound of the 49990 in the buffer. They give me the detail I was missing with more extended bass and without touching the highs too much.
AD797 in I/V and 49990 in the buffer might be a really nice combo. You should try it out and let us know what you think!

Are your AD797's in the I/V stable? What headphones are you using?

I can´t meause oscillation since i don´t have the equipment but the ad797 sounds nice so far with no distortion or background noise so they shuld be quite stable. I am using the Sennheiser hd 650 where the bright sound is not that problematic but on speakers it is annoying and less natural. And there is always the problem with the thin sound.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,347 of 3,573
Quote:
Kenion, almost everybody I know who owns a HD800, prefers it with a tube amp, or a solid amp with a bass and warm sig.
That bring me to the question, did anybody try the muses with the HD800? and did he/she enjoy it?

Quote:
 [...]or a solid amp with a bass and warm sig.

This.

I'm sure you are able to achive a warm analog sig and bass with the E1 being a solid-state amp.
I am really enjoing my E1 in combination with the HD 800. It gives me the bass I was looking for and a lukewarm signature, though, not as perfect as for now. But I probably figure out a way.
That's why there is still the option to roll the opamps on it.

It is true that almost everyone who got a HD 800 is pairing them with a tube amp. Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to purchase tube amps of known brands like "Woo Audio", "Bottlehead Crack" and "Shiit", as I live in Germany, there isn't much to choose from (and test...). Most tube amps here are very, very expensive too so I have to make the best of what I've got.
Of course, I can go ahead and order a tube amp from the USA. But I couldn't test them, had to add a ridiculous amount of taxes to the order on top of the price (see acidic's case), and furthermore, I had to regulary order tube replacements from them too. However, I would love to test it out myself!

I'm most certain that there are a few people out there that had a chance to test the HD 800 with the E1 Muses Ed (and a tube amp). You should ask Asus staff, I know that some of them got a HD 800 at home. Raja@Asus does, for example.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,348 of 3,573
Quote:
This.

I'm sure you are able to achive a warm analog sig and bass with the E1 being a solid-state amp.
I am really enjoing my E1 in combination with the HD 800. It gives me the bass I was looking for and a lukewarm signature, though, not as perfect as for now. But I probably figure out a way.
That's why there is still the option to roll the opamps on it.

It is true that almost everyone who got a HD 800 is pairing them with a tube amp. Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to purchase tube amps of known brands like "Woo Audio", "Bottlehead Crack" and "Shiit", as I live in Germany, there isn't much to choose from (and test...). Most tube amps here are very, very expensive too so I have to make the best of what I've got.
Of course, I can go ahead and order a tube amp from the USA. But I couldn't test them, had to add a ridiculous amount of taxes to the order on top of the price (see acidic's case), and furthermore, I had to regulary order tube's replacements from them too. However, I would love to test it out myself!

I'm most certain that there are a few people out there that had a chance to test the HD 800 with the E1 Muses Ed (and a tube amp). You should ask Asus staff, I know that some of them got a HD 800 at home. Raja@Asus does, for example.

Thanks for the heads up Kenion.

Is the Muses update on your list for the E1?

The best thing about living in Germany, is that you get the best prices for German made Headphones, the problem I can't remember which...
wink_face.gif

The German Seller I ordered the Bey. 770 LE from, did not ship it (eBay refunded my payment fully), and I felt let down (Although he has good reputation) !!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,349 of 3,573
Well, tomorrow six muses01 will be at my home.
I use the xonar one as stand alone dac to my speaker, a pair of kef ls 50.
I  don't use the E1 for headphone amp.
My question is:

I have a dual lme49710ha mounted on dip, it's a good idea to use it on the (3A) rca buffer?
It is possible? I am not expert....
I will use the muses01 on the IV stage and LPF.
Thanks to clarify my trouble.
Ciao

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #1,350 of 3,573
Quote:
Well, tomorrow six muses01 will be at my home.
I use the xonar one as stand alone dac to my speaker, a pair of kef ls 50.
I  don't use the E1 for headphone amp.
My question is:

I have a dual lme49710ha mounted on dip, it's a good idea to use it on the (3A) rca buffer?
It is possible? I am not expert....
I will use the muses01 on the IV stage and LPF.
Thanks to clarify my trouble.
Ciao

It is possible to use it as rca buffer and also an upgrade over the 4562 so you should use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back