Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jun 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2,206 of 3,573
Update announcement...

I've managed to get the exact part number for the A10K. However, can't order directly from Alpha as the MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) is 1000. So I googled all the Alpha distributors. Out of all the distributor I've emailed so far, one has responded. They said they can source the pot for me, but it's base on MOQ or MOV of $300 USD (Minimum Order Value).

So I guess the only option is to start a group buy. I'm thinking if there at enough people to cover $100-$150 worth of pots I will go ahead. I don't mind wearing cost for future diy head fier who wants to change their pots too.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #2,207 of 3,573
I'm down for it, however only if the RMA unit doesn't have the A10K pots,

I will know by Monday night if that's ok, cheers for the info M3
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,208 of 3,573
Mate, if you send me your board I'll do it for you with mundorf silver/gold solder. But I'm pretty sure, Asus gonna do you right this time and give you one with the A10K pot.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #2,209 of 3,573
I just found out about the E1 and started following this thread. Im still in the process of reading all the prior posts, but I found out Newegg was selling open box Muses Editions so I ordered one last night on impulse.

Just started reading about the various "problems" that have cropped up and am admittedly a little concerned about quality. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my understanding of the issues:

1. Early Muses Ed units do not have gain jumper (used standard board, not Muses board) and have inferior B10K volume pot.
2. Channel imbalance (speaker volume only?). Possibly corrected with the "true" Muses Ed with gain jumper and different PCB (A10K volume pot).
3. Front panel buttons and knobs are plastic and not high quality. Can break or be noisy/grindy.
4. Requires firmware/software update periodically (not an issue IMO, but a consideration before use)
5. May be missing accessories and have small cosmetic defects (per NewEgg open box disclaimer - not an Asus issue)

It was significantly discounted from new (and available, since new ones are out of stock) and NewEgg offers a 30 day refund, so I figured it was worth the risk. Ive tried numerous DACs/amps over the years and am excited to see if the Asus does for me what others haven't. So far, the "higher end" units I've tried are the Benchmark DAC1 (too bright/hard/analytical) and Violectric V200 (neutral - no different than my current AVR). Neither one impressed me. Most others I've tried and/or owned (Burson HA-160D, Woo Audio WA7, Violectric V90, Schiit Asgard, Peachtree Nova) were basically the same as the V200 and left me feeling "Meh."

Some additional questions/concerns:

I'll be using my E1 fed by my Squeezebox Touch via TOSLINK or S/PDIF to my HD 800's. Since I'm not using USB (or a computer directly), can I assume that I dont need to worry about firmeware updates?

Im not sure I understand how different gain settings affect the sound signature of the amp (headphones). Given the same listening volume, shouldn't gain only affect noise floor and volume control position, or is it somehow changing the output voltage/current?

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #2,210 of 3,573
Short answer, you don't need to worry about channel imbalance. if you end up with the old version as long as you have receipt, you're entitle to get an exchange. In terms of gain setting. Leave it as is (default is high). you only need to set them on low if you're using sensitive iem etc.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #2,211 of 3,573
Quote:

1. Early Muses Ed units do not have gain jumper (used standard board, not Muses board) and have inferior B10K volume pot.
2. Channel imbalance (speaker volume only?). Possibly corrected with the "true" Muses Ed with gain jumper and different PCB (A10K volume pot).
3. Front panel buttons and knobs are plastic and not high quality. Can break or be noisy/grindy.
4. Requires firmware/software update periodically (not an issue IMO, but a consideration before use)
5. May be missing accessories and have small cosmetic defects (per NewEgg open box disclaimer - not an Asus issue)

Some additional questions/concerns:

I'll be using my E1 fed by my Squeezebox Touch via TOSLINK or S/PDIF to my HD 800's. Since I'm not using USB (or a computer directly), can I assume that I dont need to worry about firmeware updates?

Im not sure I understand how different gain settings affect the sound signature of the amp (headphones). Given the same listening volume, shouldn't gain only affect noise floor and volume control position, or is it somehow changing the output voltage/current?

1.  You can get it exchanged from ASUS.....maybe?? (due to fact you are buying and open box - don't know either way)
2.  Ditto
3.  Only one incident reported -- those with no problems don't report no problems
4.  Firmware updates are not a problem but must be done with a USB1 port ... if "not connected" message, click again without exiting firmware update program....if still a problem try a different USB1 port ... I needed to try several times but it finally worked.  (be sure you follow instructions to a tee)
5. Only 2 reported ... 99.9999% are cosmetically fine -  with open box, the chance of cosmetic defects increase dramatically.
OTHER - even if only using TOSLINK you should still update as the firmware update affects all outputs and since you are updating you should update USB as well

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,212 of 3,573
http://www.headfonia.com/the-asus-dac-xonar-essence-one/

– update Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition – 

The Muses Edition is here and the only thing that tells it apart from the standard version is the black color of the lion graphics on the top of the enclosure. Sound improvements of the Muses edition, however, is not subtle as it clearly trounced the standard edition with its vastly more spacious sound to become perhaps the most spacious sounding DAC I’ve heard in the [size=inherit]KWD 0.29 ($1)[/size]K mark. Along with the more expansive soundstage you also get a flatter frequency response especially to the stock unit. What I didn’t hear is an improved black background and a cleaner sound with less grain: the Muses edition is still guilty of these two offenses. Thanks to Asus Indonesia for providing the sample units.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,213 of 3,573
Ordered the open box Muses from newegg. It has one pen tip size knick on the top but not too bad otherwise. I'm looking for a gain switch and did not see one! Maybe I can send it in for a swap? Sounds great at quick listen. The b10k pot has imbalance at first notch but ok from there with ad2kx.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #2,214 of 3,573
Quote:
Ordered the open box Muses from newegg. It has one pen tip size knick on the top but not too bad otherwise. I'm looking for a gain switch and did not see one! Maybe I can send it in for a swap? Sounds great at quick listen. The b10k pot has imbalance at first notch but ok from there with ad2kx.

The gain is a jumper like on a computer motherboard, it's located left of the onboard amp volume pot, 2 blue jumpers you can't miss it if its there, good luck :)

Quote:
Thank you Asus.

Before Hi Gain:

After Low gain :

One for the gang

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,215 of 3,573
Hi turokrocks,

Wasn't your first unit MUSES came with the early boards with no gain jumpers and the old B10K pot? As Mr.Sneis might need your advice to get his MUSES exchange (palmfish included if he receives a unit with the earlier boards)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,216 of 3,573
Newegg showing no longer available but open box is refund only so no ability to try again really. Asus is a good co. though. If I ask nicely I bet they would let me rma after a half hour or so on the phone. Also to note-in my case open box was really Asus refurbished white box.

Those pics of the gain jumpers is super helpful. Maybe should sticky them if possible! Will double check for them but do not recall them there. The hi lo markings would be dead giveaways.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #2,217 of 3,573
Quote:
Newegg showing no longer available but open box is refund only so no ability to try again really. Asus is a good co. though. If I ask nicely I bet they would let me rma after a half hour or so on the phone. Also to note-in my case open box was really Asus refurbished white box.

Those pics of the gain jumpers is super helpful. Maybe should sticky them if possible! Will double check for them but do not recall them there. The hi lo markings would be dead giveaways.

I've had no love phoning asus for rma here in Australia, however asus north america could be a different story

We could ask Currawong to sticky

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2,218 of 3,573
Ok wow I just read many many pages, but not all, of this thread and it took quite some time, I took some notes for myself.

1) Regarding "Old version pcb vs New" - It seems Turokrocks and upside prefer the older PCB with b10k pot and NO gain jumpers.  ROBSCIX also mentioned he has heard this as well.  Any ideas why this would be the case?

2) Changing the opamps for headphone output for instance may help with channel imbalance - I think I could eventually try OPA627 with this one?  I don't feel my imbalance issue is as bad as some make it out to be, I am kinda used to this on headphone amps unless they use higher-end pots TBH.

3) FlemmingBach posted earlier about a passive IV mod that removes the opamps from the equation.  Any more info on that?

I eagerly await to see what palmfish finds when he gets his from Newegg.  I feel like we are of like mind coming from the HDVD800 thread :wink:

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #2,219 of 3,573
Ok wow I just read many many pages, but not all, of this thread and it took quite some time, I took some notes for myself.

1) Regarding "Old version pcb vs New" - It seems Turokrocks and upside prefer the older PCB with b10k pot and NO gain jumpers.  ROBSCIX also mentioned he has heard this as well.  Any ideas why this would be the case?

2) Changing the opamps for headphone output for instance may help with channel imbalance - I think I could eventually try OPA627 with this one?  I don't feel my imbalance issue is as bad as some make it out to be, I am kinda used to this on headphone amps unless they use higher-end pots TBH.

3) FlemmingBach posted earlier about a passive IV mod that removes the opamps from the equation.  Any more info on that?

I eagerly await to see what palmfish finds when he gets his from Newegg.  I feel like we are of like mind coming from the HDVD800 thread :wink:

LOL...yup. :D

I expect my E1 to arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,220 of 3,573
Quote:
Hi turokrocks,

Wasn't your first unit MUSES came with the early boards with no gain jumpers and the old B10K pot? As Mr.Sneis might need your advice to get his MUSES exchange (palmfish included if he receives a unit with the earlier boards)

Sorry for the late reply,

Yes it did , and after 2 new muses with the jumper and A10K, I ended keeping the original (with no Jumper) as I use Xlr (Emotiva speakers) and did not notice any unbalance.

Why did I keep the non jumper version, well to make it short, The muses with the jumper sounded "Capped" to my ears , loosing many details and "Soul".

Asus did replace my Muses directly from HQ as there is no Asus representative here......

I was contacted by  (http://www.head-fi.org/u/350510/asusxonar ) to do the replacement, and he was more than helpful.

Asus have top notch service
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back