Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,591 of 3,573
Yes, thanks a lot for looking into it Asus!
Highly appreciate it!
I didn't expect anything else from you
smile.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #1,592 of 3,573
I got an RMA from Newegg today to return the AEXOM today, and saw that it automatically charged me a restocking fee. When I got to customer service, they graciously waived it, but asked if  I had seen the gainswitch feature from their website or the manufacturer's website. And I had to admit I didn't see it on theirs, and when I looked, neither was it on the Asus website. So the information about the gainswitch originated from the interview(s) the development team had given on the differences between models, and the subsequent (numerous) quotes of these?

Odd.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,593 of 3,573
Quote:
I also heard from ASUS that the XLR are fully balanced.

Tim

Ok so I decided to do some research on what is a true balanced dac/amp and came to this conclusion. True balanced is a dac or amp that has fully independent mono circuitry for each of its channels. For example HeadAmps, yet to be released GS-X mkll amp has mono circuitry right down to the power supply

However, I have not seen or have read about a dac with 2 independent power supplies which I feel is unnecessary unless you have 3, one for digital, two for mono analog, but I have read about dac's that have fully independent mono circuitry, which takes place after the digital signal is decoded to analog.

Unless you know what looking at you won't know, for eg: I still don't know
confused_face.gif

So the Best bet is to ask ASUSXONAR, Immediately after digital has the essence one got independent mono analog circuitry to the XLR balanced out, to make it a true balanced out?

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #1,594 of 3,573
Quote:

So the Best bet is to ask ASUSXONAR, Immediately after detail has the essence one got independent mono analog circuitry to the XLR balanced out, to make it a true balanced out?

Yes, the DACs are dual mono (differential current output) and the signal is passed to the balanced outputs without converting it to single ended.  

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,595 of 3,573
Quote:

Yes, the DACs are dual mono (differential current output) and the signal is passed to the balanced outputs without converting it to single ended.  

Cool thanks ASUSXONAR, good to know, now I have the confidence to stick with my E1 with my incoming balanced amp, and more then likely now will upgrade to muses opamps
darthsmile.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,596 of 3,573
Quote:

Quote:
Ok so I decided to do some research on what is a true balanced dac/amp and came to this conclusion. True balanced is a dac or amp that has fully independent mono circuitry for each of its channels. For example HeadAmps, yet to be released GS-X mkll amp has mono circuitry right down to the power supply

However, I have not seen or have read about a dac with 2 independent power supplies which I feel is unnecessary unless you have 3, one for detail, two for mono analog, but I have read about dac's that have fully independent mono circuitry, which takes place after the digital signal is decoded to analog.

Unless you know what looking at you won't know, for eg: I still don't know
confused_face.gif

So the Best bet is to ask ASUSXONAR, Immediately after detail has the essence one got independent mono analog circuitry to the XLR balanced out, to make it a true balanced out?

I did an extensive A/B between the balanced XLR and standard output to my airmotiv speakers, and I did notice a cleaner (more refined) sound from the XLR  compared to the normal which also sounded a bit warmer. You have to know the song you are A/bing very well to find the small differences, and in the end I preferred the XLR .
Yesterday, while doing some work and listing to the Asus Muses , I found myself stopping everything I am doing and just sit and relax with the music coming from the Muses, as its so well balanced and enjoyable, I really wish you guys would understand what I am talking.
I can't put it in words, but the Asus Muses is opening/burning really well after some time (about 100 hours) and it sounds "Musical" to my ears, in the sense that it makes you "fall in love again with your collection" even the Vinyl rips I made to 96/24 with all the "crackles/noise" I find them less irritating, and enjoying them again. Sometimes measurements are not enough to convey the real SQ, you need to hear yourself.
I am not over hyping, and I did my research before I got the Muses , did I make the right choice? Its not because I own it, as I can return it , but because I am really enjoying it. To put it simply, sometimes you eat an apple almost perfect in size color texture..etc, but its tasteless no enjoyment  , on the other hand you eat an apple a far cry from being perfect in color and shape, but it is so delicious that you  forget about all the other bad stuff, and that is what the Muses does, it sounds so "Musical" that you just can't get get enough, yes that much.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #1,597 of 3,573
Quote:

I did an extensive A/B between the balanced XLR and standard output to my airmotiv speakers, and I did notice a cleaner (more refined) sound from the XLR  compared to the normal which also sounded a bit warmer. You have to know the song you are A/bing very well to find the small differences, and in the end I preferred the XLR .
Yesterday, while doing some work and listing to the Asus Muses , I found myself stopping everything I am doing and just sit and relax with the music coming from the Muses, as its so well balanced and enjoyable, I really wish you guys would understand what I am talking.
I can't put it in words, but the Asus Muses is opening/burning really well after some time (about 100 hours) and it sounds "Musical" to my ears, in the sense that it makes you "fall in love again with your collection" even the Vinyl rips I made to 96/24 with all the "crackles/noise" I find them less irritating, and enjoying them again. Sometimes measurements are not enough to convey the real SQ, you need to hear yourself.
I am not over hyping, and I did my research before I got the Muses , did I make the right choice? Its not because I own it, as I can return it , but because I am really enjoying it. To put it simply, sometimes you eat an apple almost perfect in size color texture..etc, but its tasteless no enjoyment  , on the other hand you eat an apple a far cry from being perfect in color and shape, but it is so delicious that you  forget about all the other bad stuff, and that is what the Muses does, it sounds so "Musical" that you just can't get get enough, yes that much.

Awesome man, can't wait to tryout balanced XLR muses01 enhanced for myself. I'm glad you are enjoying it
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,598 of 3,573
Quote:

Well simplified.

I would agree on the same thing.
The Essence One with Muses has the most musicality out of anything that i've ever heard.
Sadly my A5+ does not use XLR, so i will never know what you are talking about regarding a balanced speaker connection.

I was on google trying to find research about why nicely aesthetic apples taste bad, but it kept coming up rated R stuff, so i don't think i should discuss that any further.

The muses makes me feel as though i woke up early to a cup of coffee and ate a nicely made sandwich with a cup of orange juice medium pulp.

Now i'm right in harmony
With that doo-wop doo-wop di dee
WHOA, one more cup and its a who-wop shoo-bop for me
Oh, the best part of waking up
Is folgers in your cup
The best part of waking up
Is folgers in your cup

That pretty much summarizes my feelings with Essence One.

Tim

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #1,599 of 3,573
Quote:

I presume that you have standard IC's at outputs - LME 49720NA for XLR and LM4562NA for RCA. That should make the difference as you described it. Try to swap opamps at outputs.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #1,600 of 3,573
I agree with Marasovic.

The two may be the same spec wise, but i hear they're made in different parts of the world , so the material could be a changeable factor.
Who knows, this could largely affect the sound that you're hearing.

Tim

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,602 of 3,573
Now that i look at it, you're right.

Both XLR and RCA Buffers are LM4562

Tim

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #1,603 of 3,573
Quote:
I presume that you have standard IC's at outputs - LME 49720NA for XLR and LM4562NA for RCA. That should make the difference as you described it. Try to swap opamps at outputs.

I am dying to start rolling, but I have to wait for my replacement unit (later), than the real "Fun" should start.

Thank you for you suggestion.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #1,604 of 3,573
Quote:
I am dying to start rolling, but I have to wait for my replacement unit (later), than the real "Fun" should start.

Thank you for you suggestions.

Don't tell this to Omar, but he's going to get six NE5532 and three LM4562 with his cables.

shhh.

Tim

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,605 of 3,573
Quote:
Actually my dac had the 4562 in both the xlr and rca outputs. Only the headphone buffer had 49720. So it looks like that the one comes with the same buffer for xlr and rca.

My unit came with 49720 at XLR buffer one year ago (not complaining :) ). Swapped for 49720 HA's for a long time there. Testing LT 1028 at I/V and OPA627AU at LPF. They give highly detailed, precise (may I say Studio) sound. The best combination so far was AD797br at I/V with LM4562NA at LPF. They produce natural sound without exagerating anything (no sss), all details are there, sound stage is on it's best and there is no fatigue at all.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back