Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread
May 2, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #136 of 196
Basically, when I used complys the bass was slower and muddier. I prefer the tight bass the coming out from the ax30 with silicone tips. I was wondering if there were other silicone based tips which can be used with the ax30. Maybe from other iem models which others have tested and and found to have given positive acoustic results.

May 3, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #137 of 196
I did some vent and damper mods, but chose to do them a bit different from what Rin suggested, as I'm not strictly going for measurable flatness. The major change was that instead of replacing the cloth damper with a Knowles damper for the ED driver, I didn't use a damper at all, and chose to not use any resistance adapters.

The result is something that is not flat, but rather somewhat peaky, resolves harshness more than most would desire, and has a bit of bass boost, but I feel that there are some benefits to the mod. First, not using a resistance adapter keeps the damping factor on the dynamic woofer high, retaining the most texture. There is still more bass than measurable flat, but the vent mods help tame the mid-bass and the quantity isn't unreasonable. The lack of a damper for the highs, helps give a "raw" presence to the midrange. The resultant response really isn't all that harsh in the grand scheme of things. At least, it's not harsh compared to some things that I've heard before. People can still adjust high frequency response to get to their desired quantity of treble with a resistance adapter, but the harshness that stems from not using a damper will show up much earlier. That's why I don't normally use a resistance adapter with the mod anymore.

Right now, I'm working on cutting a center hole inside the cloth damper to allow the BA not to be filtered, but to still filter the dynamic driver. The goal is to emulate the filter on the AX60.

May 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #138 of 196
I got this iem for something like $55. After listening for almost 3 days I'm starting to agree with lin0003's statements. It is an exceptional value and I can think of several iems & headphones that it outperforms (even in the $200 range). And I'm only talking about the sound.

The build itself is something to behold at the ~$60 price point. The gunmetal grey driver housings, cable splitter, and jack inspire great confidence in their durability while also being very minimalistic and stylish. The cable is a very attractive copper blend visible under the clear cable shell.

Honestly, this is the kind of iem I could keep buying over and over again if need be.
And to think, two weeks ago I didn't even know astrotec existed.

May 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #140 of 196
I finally received my set. I first tried them with the small foam tips that came with them and found them to have great clarity and separation but did lack some bass. I then tried with Comply TS400 tips and the difference was incredible. They now have great bass impact to go with the great high end. I put them on connected to my iPhone 5 and played some Kenny Wayne Shepard as I went for a bike ride on a trail by my house. Wow, I didn't want to stop riding and listening. :D These are an incredible value and if I had to close my eyes and guess the price I would say they were around $300.

May 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #144 of 196
I finally received my set. I first tried them with the small foam tips that came with them and found them to have great clarity and separation but did lack some bass. I then tried with Comply TS400 tips and the difference was incredible. They now have great bass impact to go with the great high end. I put them on connected to my iPhone 5 and played some Kenny Wayne Shepard as I went for a bike ride on a trail by my house. Wow, I didn't want to stop riding and listening.
biggrin.gif
These are an incredible value and if I had to close my eyes and guess the price I would say they were around $300.

AX30 or AX35?

May 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #145 of 196
I finally received my set. I first tried them with the small foam tips that came with them and found them to have great clarity and separation but did lack some bass. I then tried with Comply TS400 tips and the difference was incredible. They now have great bass impact to go with the great high end. I put them on connected to my iPhone 5 and played some Kenny Wayne Shepard as I went for a bike ride on a trail by my house. Wow, I didn't want to stop riding and listening.
biggrin.gif
These are an incredible value and if I had to close my eyes and guess the price I would say they were around $300.

Ax30 or Ax35?

May 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #147 of 196

Great low end, indeed.  But lousy vocals reproduction, somewhat veiled with a loss of clarity.  I tried really hard to like these, but without mids clarify the bass and treble were not enough to pull it through.  Tried a lot of different tips as well, nothing helped.  AX30, though with less bass, has a more balanced tuned signature (from what I have read).

May 16, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #150 of 196
  Instead of taping the vent holes, do you think just putting a dab of bit glue over them and smoothing it out would be a bad idea?

You risk plugging them up permanently, unless that's your goal. Maybe use hot-melt adhesive, so it's easier to remove?

Oh yeah, I removed the mesh covers from the nozzles. Now, how in the world am I supposed to put the 2.08mm knowles dampers in there? Anyone done that mod? Pics?

I didn't bother with the dampers. Putting them on would also require gluing them to the plastic tube that extends from the BA driver. If you don't mind a slightly harsher sound in the treble (but more apparent resolution), then don't bother with the damper. Use a lower value in-line resistor to make up for the excess treble. It won't be as smooth, of course, but the result is still much better than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back