Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Dec 10, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #511 of 549
I thought I was going to purchase the Kann Ultra yesterday. But I took home the Max instead. The form factor just could not be beat and the discount was irresistible. Also, the Ultra was way too large.

The Max has been driving my ZMFs. It sounds great with the Atrium Closed and the Verite Open.

I sure hope the Crimson UI becomes rolled out to the Max (any news on that?).

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #512 of 549
I thought I was going to purchase the Kann Ultra yesterday. But I took home the Max instead. The form factor just could not be beat and the discount was irresistible. Also, the Ultra was way too large.

The Max has been driving my ZMFs. It sounds great with the Atrium Closed and the Verite Open.

Congrats. Same I had a heavy discount so I went for Kaan Max. Loving it with my Cascara IEM and Vmodas. I am yet to try HD599 and Beyerdynamic DT880Pro. But this small thing is a beast. The UI def is laggy and scrolling is strange but i did ask that @JasonNYC and he did not responded about any new Firmware. Shame they dont do regular updates but most probably this is my last A&K Dap after SR25 and Kaan Max.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #513 of 549
What would you move to after AK?
Congrats. Same I had a heavy discount so I went for Kaan Max. Loving it with my Cascara IEM and Vmodas. I am yet to try HD599 and Beyerdynamic DT880Pro. But this small thing is a beast. The UI def is laggy and scrolling is strange but i did ask that @JasonNYC and he did not responded about any new Firmware. Shame they dont do regular updates but most probably this is my last A&K Dap after SR25 and Kaan Max

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #514 of 549
Congrats. Same I had a heavy discount so I went for Kaan Max. Loving it with my Cascara IEM and Vmodas. I am yet to try HD599 and Beyerdynamic DT880Pro. But this small thing is a beast. The UI def is laggy and scrolling is strange but i did ask that @JasonNYC and he did not responded about any new Firmware. Shame they dont do regular updates but most probably this is my last A&K Dap after SR25 and Kaan Max.
jason Not responding here for a long time already...
For some reason I don't think there will be new firmware...
They seem to be focusing on other things, which is strange considering this dap is powerful and good, and a firmware and UI upgrade could take it higher.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #515 of 549

KANN max does a decent job with bio cellulose and orthodynamic drivers. Absolutely sucks with planars. The MAX doesn’t deliver sufficient current and the amp section itself is not a refined power source.
Overall though. I love the DAP. I’ve had it for almost a year now.
Like you. Couldn’t resist the discount…even then! 😉

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #516 of 549
KANN max does a decent job with bio cellulose and orthodynamic drivers. Absolutely sucks with planars. The MAX doesn’t deliver sufficient current and the amp section itself is not a refined power source.
Absolutely. I’ve read some reviews that this can drive a Susvara. I have a Susvara and I dunno what they’re hearing but to me their reliability as a reviewer becomes suspect.

If there’s another DAP that is as compact as this and as powerful (enough for both iem and TOTL dynamic headphones), but with better UI, I’d look into those. Until then, I think this is exactly what I need.

I didn’t like these with the Utopia 2022 btw but I think that’s because I’m just not loving the Utopias in general.

Yeah I think AK can invest more resources on customer communication and software for sure. They have such excellent hardware and they can learn much from their competition.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #517 of 549
Well my Max can drive Kennerton Thekk planars with ease. Almost to the level of desktop amplifier (iFi Pro iCan).

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #518 of 549
Absolutely. I’ve read some reviews that this can drive a Susvara. I have a Susvara and I dunno what they’re hearing but to me their reliability as a reviewer becomes suspect.

If there’s another DAP that is as compact as this and as powerful (enough for both iem and TOTL dynamic headphones), but with better UI, I’d look into those. Until then, I think this is exactly what I need.

I didn’t like these with the Utopia 2022 btw but I think that’s because I’m just not loving the Utopias in general.

Yeah I think AK can invest more resources on customer communication and software for sure. They have such excellent hardware and they can learn much from their competition.
Well said, and yeah? The Susvaras or DCA stealth? Madness. Lol. Absolutely not. That is ridiculous and false claims.
My friend. I’ll be honest with you. I have an LCD XC and with the MAX sure I can get some reasonable volume levels but the power resolution is hot garbage.
The amp section clips with the XC when pushed. Also makes the headphone sound shrill and ordinary.
If the MAX doesn’t work well with the XC I can imagine how bad it would be with the stealth or Susvara. Again. It would be ridiculous.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #519 of 549
When i had the Max, it didnt drive my cheap Sundaras to the level of Zen Dac v2 which costs 170e lol. The bass was weaker and it struggled when i turned the volume higher. All these numbers published by AK dont really matter in real life.
But.. the AK pa10 is a different story. It drives the Sundaras and Aryas with so much authority and control that i only remember hearing from a powerful desktop amps. It gives thr Sundaras a very tight and punchy bass, its never shrill on top, they sound amazing. When i pair the pa10 with ak sp1000, im getting an audio heaven.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #521 of 549
for some reason the PA10 just didn’t do it for me, but it was when I was auditioning it beside a Woo Tube Mini (which sounded better to my tube-loving ears), and an Enleum portable (which was an unfair comparison). Looks like the Max is picky with transducer pairings, but I’m glad it synergises well with my ZMFs and the ie600 which makes me a happy consumer.

I like the sound and UI of Ultra better but not vastly, and not at cost of the form factor. I’m just gonna have to wait for AK to release the next gen Max.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #523 of 549
Dec 12, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #524 of 549
Like builders say :L3000:
is a small portable power generator inferior because it can't replace the home's fixed power connection, to which I plug in every demanding electrical device?
Thanks to the generator, I can hook up a small but useful welder far from home, while at home, I have large welders and a compressor powered by the stationary electrical supply.

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #525 of 549
kann Max, still an excellent player, carries with great competence Headphnes "LCD-4, HE500, Diana V2, HD800s". I received the shanlig H7, from what I read about it I thought it would be a little better, to my ears the Kann was much better, better treble, more airy, more transparent, more emotional... Hmmm how would the M9 plus sound compared to Kann Max?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back