Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #485 of 551
New owner of a Kann Max, I had a DX320 that broke after 10 days of use... kann Max impressing me even more, mainly for the much better performance in more demanding headphones. Tested so far:
HE6SEV2
HE500
Euclides Audeze
Timeles
Dioko
Mest Mk2
Isabellae Oriolus

Do you know if it would be possible to share equalization? I would like help creating a more neutral profile.

I have other headphones to test yet, there was no time.Monday I must test: Diana, LCD-4 e HD800s.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #486 of 551
Does the Astell & Kern KANN MAX have such an affliction that at the beginning of the song in the first second you can hear a knock or tick?
Particularly audible when subsequent tracks have different sampling, e.g. in Tidal, or when you press next track, the next track plays for a while?

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #487 of 551
Picked up a kann max but it hasn't been delivered. Is there any audio settings that would be preferable? I will be using it with an Arya Stealth V3. My previous dap didn't have enough power to really push those headphones.

EDIT: The dap came in the mail, very nice size. It gives the Arya Stealth v3 a fuller sound and pushes it properly. I like the interface and using qobuz with it. The dap has a nice airy sound with a lot of clarity. The battery is surprisingly good. I spent this morning listening to music for many hours and there wasn't a drain like my previous dap. My one and only gripe would be that the touch interface can be either slow or not sensitive enough.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #489 of 551
Hi, my name is Oliver, I'm from Germany and I'm new here. With the Kann series from Astell&Kern, I slipped into the category of mobile high-end players. I was very satisfied with my Kann Alpha. I couldn't turn down an offer from my favorite online shop to switch to the Max and in the process to part with my Alpha. Overall, I'm happy with my decision. The Max is more analytical. At first I had to get used to it. In such a case, it is important that, for example, inears sit correctly. Or just the right interaction with Overears. What irritates me a little is the fact that no firmware update has been released yet. When I asked the German distributor about this, I got a sobering answer. The only thing that was said here was that the Max was already so perfect that firmware updates were no longer needed. Aha, that's why the big players in consumer electronics like Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Samsung, Panasonic and LG etc. still release firmware updates for their new products. LG with their Oleds and Denon with their AV receivers should have absolutely perfect products. Nevertheless, especially with new products, firmware updates are continuously being brought out on the market to improve them or to add new functions. When I then contacted the international Astell&Kern support, they tried to explain to me that regular firmware updates are no longer released for a product's predecessor model. huh?! Can someone tell me the successor model to the Max? Do the gentlemen still know their own range of products? Only the succinct standard answers always come. From this point of view I have to say that I am very disappointed with Astell&Kern.

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #490 of 551
Hi, my name is Oliver, I'm from Germany and I'm new here. With the Kann series from Astell&Kern, I slipped into the category of mobile high-end players. I was very satisfied with my Kann Alpha. I couldn't turn down an offer from my favorite online shop to switch to the Max and in the process to part with my Alpha. Overall, I'm happy with my decision. The Max is more analytical. At first I had to get used to it. In such a case, it is important that, for example, inears sit correctly. Or just the right interaction with Overears. What irritates me a little is the fact that no firmware update has been released yet. When I asked the German distributor about this, I got a sobering answer. The only thing that was said here was that the Max was already so perfect that firmware updates were no longer needed. Aha, that's why the big players in consumer electronics like Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Samsung, Panasonic and LG etc. still release firmware updates for their new products. LG with their Oleds and Denon with their AV receivers should have absolutely perfect products. Nevertheless, especially with new products, firmware updates are continuously being brought out on the market to improve them or to add new functions. When I then contacted the international Astell&Kern support, they tried to explain to me that regular firmware updates are no longer released for a product's predecessor model. huh?! Can someone tell me the successor model to the Max? Do the gentlemen still know their own range of products? Only the succinct standard answers always come. From this point of view I have to say that I am very disappointed with Astell&Kern.
Unfortunately, the life of electronics is very short these days.
No second 5Ghz WiFI range, no newer 5.x BT transmission, newer codecs, newer chips and finally you're left with an old operating system that is incompatible with the software .... sad :slight_frown:
A few months ago, after the premiere of A&K SR35, I hoped that Kann Max would also receive a new the same like SR35, finally refined, great UI / UX Crimson.
I quickly realized that KannMax has been buried and there will be no system update - we are currently waiting for a new product from the KANN series.

Aug 26, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #491 of 551
A year and a half ago, when Kann Max was released, the hi-fi world looked a little different. But no one ever bothered about this player. and I fear that the smaller players from Astell&Kern will continue to only have 2.4 Ghz. Also with the implementation of a Bluetooth codec one shows infinite restraint. One mustn't forget one's "old" (in Max's case "current") players and put them on the sidelines if one wants to win over potential buyers for the new models. Samsung is leading the way with the Galaxy Watch series! LG, Denon etc. also maintain their older series.

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #492 of 551
I agree with you,
I have a deep feeling that A&K are neglecting this player...
Maybe they're not happy with something, or they're more focused on other things,
But they didn't even open this thread and in fact there is no official thread for max!
And the involvement of the a&k representative here is very small...
And that there is no firmware update, even without dramatic changes, just something to please the customers...

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #493 of 551
Hey guys, I'm about to update Kann Alpha to Kann Max and have couple of questions...

When you use Kann Max as a pc dac with a usb, does it charge at the same time with playback? I always hate why Alpha doesn't charge so I end up with empty battery.

Is gain mode finally on quick menu so you can quickly change it or you still have to go to settings to change it?

And the last one - does this upgrade really worth it?

Sep 10, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #494 of 551
Peguei um kann max, mas não foi entregue. Existe alguma configuração de áudio que seria preferível? Vou usá-lo com um Arya Stealth V3. Meu dap anterior não tinha energia suficiente para realmente usar esses fones de ouvido.

EDIT: O dap chegou pelo correio, tamanho muito bom. Dá ao Arya Stealth v3 um som mais completo e o empurra corretamente. Gosto da interface e de usar o qobuz com ela. O dap tem um som agradável e arejado com muita clareza. A bateria é surpreendentemente boa. Passei esta manhã ouvindo música por muitas horas e não houve drenagem como no meu dia anterior. Minha única reclamação é que a interface de toque pode ser lenta ou não sensível o suficiente.
Did you learn anything about your doubt? I liked the sound, but the processor is actually a little slow, I'm having problems with Bluetooth that keeps disconnecting, difficulty connecting to some routers...

Regarding the DAC Filters, I don't notice any differences in the sounds.

I have no experience in equalization, I read somewhere that this part would be good.

Does the equalization work satisfactorily?

Sep 10, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #495 of 551
A lot of disregard, regrettable, it's really a shame that I only noticed this negligence after having purchased it... From what I understand this product was "DISCONTINUED", they should have refunded it, collected it, exchanged it since this player seemed so promising and left it in the lurch... Hoping for someone blessed to develop some MOD or software, like they did on the Sony 1Z, improving things a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back