Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,276 of 3,321

Woah those are nice measurements, but just fyi the Plenue M has different dac PCM1795 while Plenue 1 has PCM1792A. But I suspect the measurement's will be very close between them with the main goal being two different sound sigs.

Huh did not notice that really. I demoed both, and they were nearly identical, so I thought they used the same DAC. The SNR specs on their website claims that they have the same SNR, so I'll take Cowon's words on this one.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,277 of 3,321
I got to demo the Jr with RHA's T20i's at CanJam in London this past weekend.

What a great pairing. I think I'll be pulling the trigger on the JR once t20i's are available in Australia. It sounded impressive with my Shure 840's but I'm not going to use them with the jr often.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,278 of 3,321
I tried to post this in the help forum, but not getting any answers, so I'll try here!

I pulled the trigger on the Jr (thanks everyone for answering my earlier questions!), and I want to get some new cans to go with it.  I have my eye on the Alpha Dogs.  Is the Jr ok for driving this headphone?

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,280 of 3,321
  I tried to post this in the help forum, but not getting any answers, so I'll try here!

I pulled the trigger on the Jr (thanks everyone for answering my earlier questions!), and I want to get some new cans to go with it.  I have my eye on the Alpha Dogs.  Is the Jr ok for driving this headphone?

If you are in that price range you can get excellent deals on the Sennheiser HD700 for under $500. I have them and the AK Jr drives them quite easily and well.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,282 of 3,321
  Thanks for the suggestion, but I need a closed back headphone so I don't drive my coworkers crazy :)

Understand. You might give a listen to the Oppo PM-3's while you are at it. I heard them at my local can-jam with the AK Jr and they went very well even though I only had about 15mins with them. 

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,283 of 3,321
A bit of help, please:

Using FW 1.03. There are hundreds of songs listed as "unknown album" and "unknown artist" in the album listing on my AK Jr.

Have tried using Metadatics to add more info (on a test 16/44 album that I purchased online) to help the AK Jr sort it. Removed "unknown album" on the AK Jr. Copied new version with added metadata from Mac. Safely ejected Ak Jr. Auto-synced...

...and, it does not work. The album is not listed and resides in "unknown album" mixed with plenty of other songs.

FYI:
Album view: About 100+ other albums are showing (some with artwork, some without). Cannot figure out why.
Folder view: All "known" and "unknown" albums are visible and sorted in alphabetical order.
Player view: Embedded album art for some "unknown album" songs show up, with data on file resolution (first line), as well as track number and title (second line). On the third line, there is "unknown" instead of the name of the artist as tagged in metadata.

1. Anyone else having this issue?
2. Is this an AK Jr software bug or do I have to do something "special" in Metadatics?

TIA.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,284 of 3,321
  A bit of help, please:

Using FW 1.03. There are hundreds of songs listed as "unknown album" and "unknown artist" in the album listing on my AK Jr.

Have tried using Metadatics to add more info (on a test 16/44 album that I purchased online) to help the AK Jr sort it. Removed "unknown album" on the AK Jr. Copied new version with added metadata from Mac. Safely ejected Ak Jr. Auto-synced...

...and, it does not work. The album is not listed and resides in "unknown album" mixed with plenty of other songs.

FYI:
Album view: About 100+ other albums are showing (some with artwork, some without). Cannot figure out why.
Folder view: All "known" and "unknown" albums are visible and sorted in alphabetical order.
Player view: Embedded album art for some "unknown album" songs show up, with data on file resolution (first line), as well as track number and title (second line). On the third line, there is "unknown" instead of the name of the artist as tagged in metadata.

1. Anyone else having this issue?
2. Is this an AK Jr software bug or do I have to do something "special" in Metadatics?

TIA.

You kind of have to inspect the songs yourself. Compare the ones that work to the ones that don't work and see what is different between them.

I remember I had an album where the song extensions were ".Mp3" instead of ".mp3" and that made the songs show up as Unknown Artist/Album.

I also had embedded artwork that were progressive jpegs and that caused the Jr to not load the artwork for those albums. Using a baseline/optimized jpeg works fine. I also make sure to use 500x500. It might be able to use a higher resolution image, but I stick to 500x500.

Also, try out MP3tag instead. I use it on both my Mac and PC.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,285 of 3,321

Just got the AK Jr. and loving it so far with my Z7s.

Like others here, having trouble getting the sound to work in usb dac mode.  At first, no sound in Win8 64-bit (tried 3 different usb 2.0 ports and cables) or Win10 32-bit (also via usb 2.0). AK is recognized but no sound when testing playback device (after changing iriver to default) nor any sound elsewhere. Tried firmwares 1.02 and 1.03.

Regular DAP playback works perfectly as does usb charging and usb file transfer (slow though).

I was only able to get sound in usb dac mode working on an old laptop running OSX 10.5 (no usb 3.0 on it). Also tried disabling xhci/ehci in bios on my Windows8 machine but no change. Strangely, the ONLY way I get any sound in Win8 64-bit is by connecting the usb cable to a 3.0 port!? But the sound is distorted. I wonder if iRiver meant to say usb 3.0 required for 64-bit OSes?

Also thinking (after reading John Darko's review of the AK Jr.) that it needs a certain amount of power to work properly as a dac (hence why the usb 3.0 port gives some sound). But I also tried some dual usb 2.0 cables for extra power with no success.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,286 of 3,321

You kind of have to inspect the songs yourself. Compare the ones that work to the ones that don't work and see what is different between them.

I remember I had an album where the song extensions were ".Mp3" instead of ".mp3" and that made the songs show up as Unknown Artist/Album.

I also had embedded artwork that were progressive jpegs and that caused the Jr to not load the artwork for those albums. Using a baseline/optimized jpeg works fine. I also make sure to use 500x500. It might be able to use a higher resolution image, but I stick to 500x500.

Also, try out MP3tag instead. I use it on both my Mac and PC.
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html

I second this as I too found the bug with capital letters in the extension. Its the major Con for this player which fortunately is solvable via software update. Even though I have to invoke Parallels, I find MP3Tag to be the best.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #1,287 of 3,321

I second this as I too found the bug with capital letters in the extension. Its the major Con for this player which fortunately is solvable via software update. Even though I have to invoke Parallels, I find MP3Tag to be the best.

If you visit the link in my post, they actually have a Wine-wrapped version of Mp3tag, so you can download and use that instead of having to run the Windows version in Parallels (or any other VM software).

Here's a screenshot of it:

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,288 of 3,321

Thanks will check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back