Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,261 of 3,321
Anyone here caan compare ak jr and dx90 please

I think there are some major differences, right off the bat I can think of:

JR is a lot thinner than DX90, and if you care for looks, than it's obvious here.
JR User Interface is just that much better than the DX90
JR has 64gb built in vs 8gb.  Both can hold only 1 microSD up to 200gb.
AK has single line out, can't bypass DAC if you want an external amp.
JR has a single DAC whereas DX90 has dual DAC's - soundwise, both are excellent with JR being a little warmer on the SE846.
JR can be used as an external USB Dac
JR has bluetooth.
JR has a really basic 5 band EQ, DX90 has a 10band EQ if I recall.
Batterylife is about the same on both.  DX90 can get alot louder though.  DX90 has removable battery.
DX90 comes with more accessories if you care, 2 screen protectors and a rubber case.  JR is pretty barebones.
DX90 is discontinued.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,262 of 3,321
There are several posts in this thread (including mind) that compares the two. Despite the dual DAC implementation and the removable battery, I sold my DX90 and do not miss it.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #1,264 of 3,321
I can't discern the difference of the dx90 and jr. So it all boils down to interface , looks, and internal memory. It also shows dual dac and single dac is still about implementation.

They cost about $50 difference here so not much.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,267 of 3,321
Morning, please bear with me as I'm not a real tech head as I have a question about the output of the AK jr. Using my ie800 with the jr the volume level is more than enough but I am moving house shortly and can no longer use my active monitors for my remixes so I thought I'd get a good pair of headphones to replace - I tried the hd700 and hd800 yesterday at Richer sounds for an hour and was shocked to see how little volume came throug on either via my jR. These phones would only ever be used occasionally outside my studio setup so not a major issue but could I get a portable headphone amp like the e17 to ramp it up as I am a little deaf on one ear and it would be nice to not always use my ie800 for leisure use.

If you don't mind bulk, get the O2. I have one paired with my HD800, and it's pretty much all you can ask for. 120db+ SNR and ruler flat frequency. That's the best spec I've ever seen from an amp under $1000. It has more than enough power to drive the HD800 too.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,268 of 3,321
Can someone tell me if you turn the unit completely off and then power it back on, does it have to rebuild the music library?  From what I understand the AK100 II does this (Anyone can confirm this?), as does my Sony Walkman NWZ-A17.  I always found this kind of annoying as it takes several minutes to do this.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,269 of 3,321
Nope, it doesn't need to do that. When turning it back on, the library is just as it was when I turned it off. No need to re-scan unless I added new stuff.

However, I do have auto-scan turned off. I'm going to see if it scans when I turn it off and then on if I have auto-scan on.

Edit: Nope, even with auto-scan on, turning the Jr off and then back on doesn't require a re-scan.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,271 of 3,321
  Nope, it doesn't need to do that. When turning it back on, the library is just as it was when I turned it off. No need to re-scan unless I added new stuff.

However, I do have auto-scan turned off. I'm going to see if it scans when I turn it off and then on if I have auto-scan on.

Edit: Nope, even with auto-scan on, turning the Jr off and then back on doesn't require a re-scan.

Thanks for checking!

I think that if you reset the Jr you will have to  rebuild the library (hold on/off button 10 sec).
If you shut it off normally (hold on/off 3 sec) no need to.

How often do you need to "reset" it?  Is it something it will do if left unused after some amount of time, like a few days?

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,272 of 3,321

Thanks for checking!

How often do you need to "reset" it?  Is it something it will do if left unused after some amount of time, like a few days?

I never had to reset it. It freezes once a while, but turning it off by holding on to the power button hasn't really reset anything for me. It's just cold booting, that's all. It doesn't reset your AK. So normally, you would probably never have to reset it. I've had mine for 3 months, and am yet to reset it a single time.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,273 of 3,321
I never used reset myself. Why should we? Unless you have a problem, want to sell it ...

Here is the extract of the manual
 Using the reset function.
If the product malfunctions or stops while in use, press the [ ] key for more than 10 seconds to turn it off. Then you can turn it back on and use it.
►When you use the reset function, the current time and memory data will not be deleted. Do not use the reset function while the product is in use. It may seriously damage the memory

You should not loose music DB thar way.

The DB updates automatically (I choosed this option) when I plug the device as a mass storage, that is all. Just plain normal behaviour.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,274 of 3,321
If you don't mind bulk, get the O2. I have one paired with my HD800, and it's pretty much all you can ask for. 120db+ SNR and ruler flat frequency. That's the best spec I've ever seen from an amp under $1000. It has more than enough power to drive the HD800 too.

Thanks for the recommendation but this would just be for the occasional outside usage so size would be important if it's just to be slung in my messenger bag - I'm leaning towards the Cayin C5 or the Oppo HA-2 but am going to wait till my 700s arrive tomorrow and then play with all my audio equipment as a few 700 owners have said they have an Ak jr and the volume is fine :) and really 99% time this is to be used with my MOTU 828 so if they run with than fine I may not even bother with an amp. It's just a pain that here in Bristol I can't see anywhere to go and play with a few as I bet if I had some time with a few I would buy one.....

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,275 of 3,321
  I'm assuming it's pretty much the same for plenue 1, as they have identical chips. So here. http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=cool_review&no=422

Woah those are nice measurements, but just fyi the Plenue M has different dac PCM1795 while Plenue 1 has PCM1792A. But I suspect the measurement's will be very close between them with the main goal being two different sound sigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back