Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #2,851 of 3,321
A couple of days later and today I decided I want a refund, at first I kept ignoring the lag but then it kept freezing for a couple of seconds, this with a 16gb sd card, this is simply not acceptable for a 360€ device, if any of you guys have any suggestions for a dap at this price please dont hesitate to tell me. I was thinking about the dx80.

I believe the X5SG from Fiio is within your price range and has great sound quality.
If you'd prefer something like DX80, the DX90 is a much better buy, despite being old and unsupported(?) AFKIK.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,852 of 3,321

Simply connect the JR via USB (USB2.0 or 1.1 only), select the DAC option on the JR option screen and Enjoy. No problems.

I am one of many, that would disagree with that.
I have never gotten the JR to function as a DAC using the USB.
In fact,I think you will find that if you have the JR functioning as a DAC you are in the minority.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,853 of 3,321
My AK Jr. was stolen recently, along with my entire backpack including my IEMs and headpohnes, which was in the trunk of my car (which was also stolen).

I've done research on a ton of other DAPs, just to see if I could find something better/different I might like. For the life of me, nothing seems to top this, at least for me. I loved the sound, never had lag issues, and the device itself is just about perfect. Looking to buy another ASAP.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #2,854 of 3,321
Sorry to hear about your stuff being stolen, especially the car (hopefully it'll be recovered with no damage); must be an enormous headache.

I agree with you about the Jr. being hard to beat. No lag for me either but I strictly use folder browsing. Lots of other daps out there but none match it's combo of slimness, sound quality, and usability. I've got a handful of daps but use the Jr. much of the time.

The AK70 is thicker yet shorter than the Jr. A few guys here upgraded to it and seems the sound quality is as good or better than the Jr. Plus you get a balanced out and wifi. Might be worth a look.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #2,855 of 3,321
In fact,I think you will find that if you have the JR functioning as a DAC you are in the minority.

Did you try with different usb to micro-usb cables? The one that AK Jr shipped with was a no go for me with my MacBook Retina. Then I started trying out other cables that I had with me. The one from OnePlus One smartphone works perfectly. So I've been using that since then.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,857 of 3,321

That's quite unfortunate. Ill assume that you've tried all possible solutions (Different USB cables, Different USB ports, Firmware update etc..)
Could be possible that the only people talking about the JRs DAC function are the ones who want to complain or find a solution.

The AK70 is thicker yet shorter than the Jr. A few guys here upgraded to it and seems the sound quality is as good or better than the Jr. Plus you get a balanced out and wifi. Might be worth a look.  

I wouldn't say the AK70 sounds better, but different. SQ wise, they are about the same in my opinion.
It seems to have a wider soundstage and lacks the warmth of the JR. Minor differences.
The real upgrade is in the Usability and extra features - DSD128 support, USB out, Balanced etc.

Can I get confirmation that the AKJR works with any USB cable?

Standard USB to Micro USB only.
All will be able to charge the device but some will not be able to connect the device for data transfer or DAC. Would be best to avoid the cheapest cable and spend a bit more/pic a reputable brand to ensure full capability. (Maybe a $5 cable? Plenty good cables here around $5!)

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #2,859 of 3,321
I am running Win 10, I have tried numerous cables and all the ports both USB 2. and USB 3.
The firmware is version 1.03 . and I have never gotten it to play as a DAC connected .
I love the device itself and think its brilliant for the price. However, I feel that Astell & Kern should
have acknowledged the issue, as there are too many reporting that it isnt working as a DAC,
false advertising. I like the AK JR but would not consider another device from Astell & Kern, based on 
the level of support.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,860 of 3,321
  Ak Jr now much reduced on Amazon UK - Was 399gbp now 250gbp. Cheaper than x5ii.

What do think of the AK for this price? Usability, firmware etc.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts

As long as you stay away from DSD, the interface isn't very laggy.
Freezes once in a while (2 times in the past in the several months ive owned it)
Sound quality is phenomenal. Better than the X5III in most regards.

If you value portability and SQ, the JR wont disappoint. Lag is the only downside IMO.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,861 of 3,321
  I am running Win 10, I have tried numerous cables and all the ports both USB 2. and USB 3.
The firmware is version 1.03 . and I have never gotten it to play as a DAC connected .
I love the device itself and think its brilliant for the price. However, I feel that Astell & Kern should
have acknowledged the issue, as there are too many reporting that it isnt working as a DAC,
false advertising. I like the AK JR but would not consider another device from Astell & Kern, based on 
the level of support.

Ive only been able to confirm it working on Windows 7 and 8 so I cant say whether or not Windows 10 is to blame.
The JR only supports USB2.0 and 1.1. Also check the audio settings of Windows or your respective music player to ensure that the output is set to the JR's DAC.
As the volume is controlled via the JR, be sure to turn the volume up to your liking, or max if you are using an amp.

If none of the above works for you, id suggest that you contact AK directly.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #2,862 of 3,321

As long as you stay away from DSD, the interface isn't very laggy.
Freezes once in a while (2 times in the past in the several months ive owned it)
Sound quality is phenomenal. Better than the X5III in most regards.

If you value portability and SQ, the JR wont disappoint. Lag is the only downside IMO.

Yes, totally agree on the sound.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,863 of 3,321
If I had known about the user interface issue being so bad I would not have purchased. But I could live with it if it weren't for the fact that my a&k jr will not stay hooked up to any device via Bluetooth. No issues when wired.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,864 of 3,321
the level of support.

Using windows 10 on a Lenovo laptop, and DAC is working for me using the usb cable provided with the unit. Running firmware 1.03 also.

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #2,865 of 3,321
i have tried multiple USB Cables,and brought new cables to try to eliminate that as the issue for it not working as a DAC.
It recognizes it on the PC as it appears as a device to be able to select under speakers,but I get no sound, I have tried all 
the different settings in windows etc,but even though it sees it,no sound. I think my only option is to contact Astell & Kern.
but based on their support to the AK JR am not too hopefully. Hopefully enough people that are experiencing
the same issue,complain.they might take some issue.....Doubtful though. Which is sad as I like the quality of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back