Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #2,837 of 3,321
Hi all I'm looking to buy some new ear buds to use with this player. I don't really wanna spend more than £150. Would something like Sennheiser IE8I's still be considered a solid choice now a days? I prefer more bassy sound. Any advice is appreciated or maybe you have a pair you can recommend?! Thanks all

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2,839 of 3,321
Hi all I'm looking to buy some new ear buds to use with this player. I don't really wanna spend more than £150. Would something like Sennheiser IE8I's still be considered a solid choice now a days? I prefer more bassy sound. Any advice is appreciated or maybe you have a pair you can recommend?! Thanks all

I'd say that IE8s are solid depending on the price you get them for. If you want something super bassy, you can try asking in the Basshead Thread and see what they would suggest in your price range.

New here. Hope I've right thread..only just night ak jr but my amp dosent recognise it...any advice would be appreciated

A few things you should try:
1. Use a pair of earphones/headphones without the amp. so plugged right into the AK Jr
2. Try the amp with another device - other player, phone, computer, etc.
3. Try another interconnect cable

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,842 of 3,321
Its still a bit slow but that doesnt bother me for one, the latest firmware version is 1.03.

Sadly, that's not my experience.

Recently I purchased an AK Jr out of curiosity. While the AK Jr sounds better than my current Sony A26HN, I hated, hated, hated the lagginess of its touch UI. Tapping one page back from the now playing page can at first seem to not register, but is actually lagging. After 3 seconds, you think the first tap didn't register, so you tap again. By the time the UI catches up, you've gone two taps back to the home screen.

Another issue is that the AK Jr is very picky on ID3 tags. Cover artworks in PNG? Sony, no problem. iOS, no problem. The AK won't display them. APE tags? The AK gets stuck when doing a library scan.

The whole experience with the AK Jr is infuriating. I've already put up the AK Jr for sale, and I can't wait to get rid of that damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #2,843 of 3,321

Recently I purchased an AK Jr out of curiosity. While the AK Jr sounds better, I hated, hated, hated the lagginess of its touch UI. Tapping one page back from the now playing page can at first seem to not register, but is actually lagging. After 3 seconds, you think the first tap didn't register, so you tap again. By the time the UI catches up, you've gone two taps back to the home screen.

Another issue is that the AK Jr is very picky on ID3 tags. Cover artworks in PNG? Sony, no problem. iOS, no problem. The AK won't display them. APE tags? The AK gets stuck when doing a library scan.

The whole experience with the AK Jr is infuriating. I've already put up the AK Jr for sale, and I can't wait to get rid of that damn thing.

It puzzles me, AK JR user experiences.

Some members report terrible UI lag wanting to break things, while others appear problem free.

I don't have any issues with mine on 1.03 firmware, I'm also not saying any of you are incorrect either.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,844 of 3,321

Some members report terrible UI lag wanting to break things, while others appear problem free.

I don't have any issues with mine on 1.03 firmware, I'm also not saying any of you are incorrect either.

I think if someone has a lot of music and is browsing via the Artists/Albums menus (instead of Folders), there will be some lag there. A&K made a, IMO, terrible decision where they wanted to display a album cover thumbnail next to every Artist/Album. I personally think that this is the cause of the lag because when I switch to browsing via Folders, the experience is much better since the player just has to load up a simple image of a folder next to each item instead of a bunch of different album cover thumbnails.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #2,845 of 3,321

Recently I purchased an AK Jr out of curiosity. While the AK Jr sounds better, I hated, hated, hated the lagginess of its touch UI. Tapping one page back from the now playing page can at first seem to not register, but is actually lagging. After 3 seconds, you think the first tap didn't register, so you tap again. By the time the UI catches up, you've gone two taps back to the home screen.

+1

Try playing DSD with the EQ on. I really do enjoy the sound quality (Size, weight and look too!) of the Jr but the interface is also driving me towards a replacement.
24/96 or 24/192 isn't so bad so its obvious that the DSD converting is a quite overwhelming for the CPU.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2,847 of 3,321

Had some problems with some tags as well but started using mp3tag program to redo the faulty tagged files, so i started redoing whatever i had, took some time but never the less got it all done, i've also embedded all my album art into the files, i noticed that larger jpg files pixel wise would not show up, so i used the cover option from the mp3tag program.

I also use folder view to navigate the Jr. pretty much lag free, it's just my preference. As far as Ape, i can't say, if i did have any ape files they were converted to flac, which i prefer.
Sorry you don't like your unit, i am enjoying the Jr. myself, good luck in your hunt for something else, certainly no lack in choices out there.

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,848 of 3,321
A couple of days later and today I decided I want a refund, at first I kept ignoring the lag but then it kept freezing for a couple of seconds, this with a 16gb sd card, this is simply not acceptable for a 360€ device, if any of you guys have any suggestions for a dap at this price please dont hesitate to tell me. I was thinking about the dx80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back