Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 16, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #6,721 of 9,041
Hi Samuel777 You are right. The firmware 1.4 SQ is absolutly terrible. I bought this extremly expensiv player because of its SQ. For nothing else. I was very happy with the sound til version 1.32. After the update to 1.4 I do not listen music with my AK380 for it makes me nervous. So at the moment the AK380 is useless. I have to find a way to downgrade the firmware to 1.32. Has anyone an idea how to do this. I think that, technically speaking, that could be done easily. and should be a normal download service for this HighEnd player. I am in dispair with the 1.4 SQ. Please help.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #6,722 of 9,041
Hi Samuel777 You are right. The firmware 1.4 SQ is absolutly terrible. I bought this extremly expensiv player because of its SQ. For nothing else. I was very happy with the sound til version 1.32. After the update to 1.4 I do not listen music with my AK380 for it makes me nervous. So at the moment the AK380 is useless. I have to find a way to downgrade the firmware to 1.32. Has anyone an idea how to do this. I think that, technically speaking, that could be done easily. and should be a normal download service for this HighEnd player. I am in dispair with the 1.4 SQ. Please help.

So, person who has posted 4 times: In what way is the sound quality now terrible? I have FW1.4, it sounds the same as 1.32. What changes do you hear?

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #6,725 of 9,041
So, person who has posted 4 times: In what way is the sound quality now terrible? I have FW1.4, it sounds the same as 1.32. What changes do you hear?
I have descibed it already before: The soundquality changes coming with firmware upgrade 1.4: The sound is much more lighter. More hiss. Less ground and bass pressure and to my taste it sounds flat and nervously.
I use a Stax 007 Headphone, which is very sensitiv to SQ changes.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #6,726 of 9,041
I have descibed it already before: The soundquality changes coming with firmware upgrade 1.4: The sound is much more lighter. More hiss. Less ground and bass pressure and to my taste it sounds flat and nervously.

I have shure se846 and two ak380cu next to each other. One is with 1.32 and one is 1.40. I honestly can't hear any difference especially not hiss. Se846 is a very sensitive to hiss.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #6,729 of 9,041
Guys, just wondering if Pro Eq has been taken out of the equation as it is still on by default, unfortunately.

As in, it's on even with the Eq off.

On the Cu, I am enjoying FW1.40 but share some of the above observations when Pro Eq is on.

As previously mentioned in an earlier post, one needs to switch Eq on and create a flat curve.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #6,730 of 9,041

I have shure se846 and two ak380cu next to each other. One is with 1.32 and one is 1.40. I honestly can't hear any difference especially not hiss. Se846 is a very sensitive to hiss.

My DAP is the normal AK380. I use it with Shute SE846 And I confirm that the SQ has jumped down.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #6,731 of 9,041

Personally, there was no difference in sound quality / character that I could detect coming from 1.32 but this is based on memory...although I last listened to 1.32 just last night before doing the update to 1.40 this morning. I am one of those who is extremely sensitive to hiss and for what it's worth, I don't hear any post upgrade. I am sorry the upgrade didn't work out well for you. I have a friend who is still running 1.32 on his and I will ask for his thoughts once he does the update. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #6,732 of 9,041
Guys, just wondering if Pro Eq has been taken out of the equation as it is still on by default, unfortunately.

As in, it's on even with the Eq off.

On the Cu, I am enjoying FW1.40 but share some of the above observations when Pro Eq is on.

As previously mentioned in an earlier post, one needs to switch Eq on and create a flat curve.

In 1.32 I hear a difference with pro eq on and off so not sure that issue is still there. If you play a very quiet part of a track you can also hear a subtle click as you switch it on and off

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #6,733 of 9,041
In 1.32 I hear a difference with pro eq on and off so not sure that issue is still there. If you play a very quiet part of a track you can also hear a subtle click as you switch it on and off

I don't believe AK had changed anything since they put Pro Eq as default 3-4 firmwares ago....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back