Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #6,692 of 9,041
Mmm....it is the Phillips Fidelio M1 BT (Bluetooth) hedphones, as listed in the Qualcomm aptX HD webpage. The other 4 are non-headphone products, including the A&K XB 10 bluetooth puck.

OR the Qualcomm webpage is in error because if you look at the bottom half of the webpage, it says "Powered by aptX HD audio." Immediately below is see all prducts BUT underneath that are the three products " Beats Pill mini-speakers, HTC Desire smartphone and the Phillips M1 BT bluetooth hp." All the above info are delineated with the same gray background in the webpage that suggests continuity.

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #6,693 of 9,041
I got a nice paur of headphones (currently using Shure 846) to use with my 380... I hope it pairs well.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #6,695 of 9,041
Are you feeding the WA8 from the Ak Amp output?

I know it's double amping, but I personally think it sounds much better when I feed my CDM from the amp output vs the AK380 headphone out. I set the amp on low gain using the balanced out so the max it will output is 2.1v at max volume.

Would love to get other's thoughts on using the attachable AK amp to drive other amps.

Sorry, not trying to start a debate on double amping. My thought process is that the headphone outputs a 2.1v signal, but the amp on low gain does the same but the signal is better, (deeper/tighter bass, wider soundstage, etc) so why not use that output to feed the CDM.

Here's the thing about the AK Amp - I really don't think its output is as clean as the one directly off the AK380. With sensitive IEMs, it produces a mild hiss and it's audible enough for me to know it's there. I am unfortunately one of those people who are extremely sensitive to hiss. I never use the amp module unless I'm driving less sensitive / demanding headphones. For line driving purposes, the output directly off the AK380 is just perfect. It measures remarkably well and there is no hiss whatsoever even when using the most sensitive of IEMs and this I appreciate very much. 

The hiss on the amp module is a weird one. If you enable the amp without playing anything, there is no hiss. It's dead quiet. It's only when you start playing a song that the hiss becomes noticeable. So, you need to test this with some tracks that has a fair bit of quiet passages. When you stop the song, the hiss goes away. If I use the amp module as a line driver to drive another amp, the hiss, unfortunately also becomes part of the signal and that is a huge, huge deal breaker for me regardless of how good it may sound (I honestly didn't think it sounded any better than directly off the AK380). Line driving directly off the AK380, no such issues and that is why I never use the amp module unless I need to desperately drive either my LCD-3 or HD650 on-the-go. And I say desperate because the AK amp drives both cans less than satisfactory, even at high gain, single ended or balanced regardless. There's enough headroom but it doesn't have the bite, the punch and there is just no finesse of any sort.

My personal take is - the AK amp leaves me wanting and because of that, it's almost always in the storage box.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #6,697 of 9,041
Here's the thing about the AK Amp - I really don't think its output is as clean as the one directly off the AK380. With sensitive IEMs, it produces a mild hiss and it's audible enough for me to know it's there. I am unfortunately one of those people who are extremely sensitive to hiss. I never use the amp module unless I'm driving less sensitive / demanding headphones. For line driving purposes, the output directly off the AK380 is just perfect. It measures remarkably well and there is no hiss whatsoever even when using the most sensitive of IEMs and this I appreciate very much. 

The hiss on the amp module is a weird one. If you enable the amp without playing anything, there is no hiss. It's dead quiet. It's only when you start playing a song that the hiss becomes noticeable. So, you need to test this with some tracks that has a fair bit of quiet passages. When you stop the song, the hiss goes away. If I use the amp module as a line driver to drive another amp, the hiss, unfortunately also becomes part of the signal and that is a huge, huge deal breaker for me regardless of how good it may sound (I honestly didn't think it sounded any better than directly off the AK380). Line driving directly off the AK380, no such issues and that is why I never use the amp module unless I need to desperately drive either my LCD-3 or HD650 on-the-go. And I say desperate because the AK amp drives both cans less than satisfactory, even at high gain, single ended or balanced regardless. There's enough headroom but it doesn't have the bite, the punch and there is just no finesse of any sort.

My personal take is - the AK amp leaves me wanting and because of that, it's almost always in the storage box.

Thanks, you are right about the hiss. I've noticed it too with my Roxannes, but not so much with my Edition X.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #6,698 of 9,041
No hiss on mine using IEM or over the ear

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #6,700 of 9,041
I don't like the AK prices,but ohg boy i do respect them bringing out all the regular firmware updates and new features.
Quick question,any differences between 380 normal and 380 black?
no sound difference whatever, just a 500 difference

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #6,702 of 9,041
Hi,
We should all together request for this kind of service from iriver : 
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/exclusive-offer-for-loyal-he1000-v1-owners.html
specially those who have the AK380 (CU, normal, Black). When the next version is available, AK give possibility to those who have a the AK380 less than 2 years to upgrade.
It is just a suggestion!
sam

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #6,703 of 9,041
Oct 14, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #6,704 of 9,041
Hello I am new here. Need help. Yesterday I did the Firmware Update of my AK380 to Version 1.4 . I dont like the changes in the Sound Quality. I want to go back to Version 1.32. How can I manage this. Thank you for your support to do this.

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #6,705 of 9,041
Hello I am new here. Need help. Yesterday I did the Firmware Update of my AK380 to Version 1.4 . I dont like the changes in the Sound Quality. I want to go back to Version 1.32. How can I manage this. Thank you for your support to do this.

You can't downgrade unless you get hold of the hex file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back