Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Oct 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #48 of 359
Been following the Fiio E18 but came across this and the form factor is so much more friendly for my train commute. That price though! I guess that apple license is pretty expensive... 

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #51 of 359
I just heard about this thing. I think I need to pick one up at launch. it’s perfect for my needs It’s the smallest Apple approved outboard DAC/amp unit out there. and the cheapest too. compared to the bulky HP-P1 or a CLAS/amp combo or the new Centrance units, this thing is actually portable and doesn't cost over 500 bucks. 

Having playback controls on the unit is also really smart. Again, first time I’ve seen this on one of these things.

I’ve owned an RWAK100 before and liked the sound a lot (the original AK100 I was mixed about). This unit looks to be similar to the AK100 mk2 with a 1 ohm output. Output SQ should be pretty good (positive first impressions are a good sign). And no need for me to give up the smoothness of iOS :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #52 of 359
If they require a proprietary cable I would expect more choice than only a 15cm lighting and 1m USB cable at least as an available accessory; but really more should be included in the package. Personally I would not purchase this AK10 without also a 1m lighting cable, allowing me to put the iDevice further away and have the AK10 in a convenient location. 15cm seems a bit long for making an iDevice/AK10 "sandwich", but too short for having the iDevice in the inner jacket pocket and the AK10 on the hip... At ~300$ this should be solved.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #53 of 359
  If they require a proprietary cable I would expect more choice than only a 15cm lighting and 1m USB cable at least as an available accessory; but really more should be included in the package. Personally I would not purchase this AK10 without also a 1m lighting cable, allowing me to put the iDevice further away and have the AK10 in a convenient location. 15cm seems a bit long for making an iDevice/AK10 "sandwich", but too short for having the iDevice in the inner jacket pocket and the AK10 on the hip... At ~300$ this should be solved.

Agreed. But I fear, since this is the cheapest of AK's offerings, that they will milk the accessories department.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #54 of 359
Pros and cons of different approaches. I'd hate something with too many cables and accessories that I might not use. Quality will be lower and you're paying for something you don't need. What is more important as a poster earlier here who has bought it said, which is how the mini/micro USB going into the unit looks like, whether after market cable jacks will also fit.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #55 of 359
Placed my order, I hope it pairs nicely with ipod nano. Its price and versatility makes it a good relatively cheap for on the go music listening in cases where you dont want to take anything expensive.
Hopefully it pays off and hopefully some genious figures out how to pair it with ipod classic. 

I know onkyo has an app that will let you send HD audio out but I have no way to check if it will work. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #56 of 359
Placed my order, I hope it pairs nicely with ipod nano. Its price and versatility makes it a good relatively cheap for on the go music listening in cases where you dont want to take anything expensive.
Hopefully it pays off and hopefully some genious figures out how to pair it with ipod classic. 

I know onkyo has an app that will let you send HD audio out but I have no way to check if it will work. 

Hi, are you sure it works with the iPod nano because it's not listed as a compatible device on their website. Astellnkern.com

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #57 of 359
Hi, are you sure it works with the iPod nano because it's not listed as a compatible device on their website. Astellnkern.com
I guess I'll find out I hope it does. What makes it appleaing for me is that it is not just an Idevice dac alone, that is a big plus and it is the smallest device of its kind.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #58 of 359
That would be great to know!
I am confused since there are many apps claiming 24/192 playback via apple camera connection kit...
But according to Astell & Kern the AK10 is via iPhone only able to get 16/48...
I am wondering if all these apps claiming 24/192 can deal with iDevice Dac/Amps without the camera connection kits...

By the way I found a store claiming to have the AK10 in stock...
http://www.hk-68.com/newrecordsproduct/headphone-earphones/headphone-amplifier/astell-kern-ak10.html

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #59 of 359
That would be great to know!
I am confused since there are many apps claiming 24/192 playback via apple camera connection kit...
But according to Astell & Kern the AK10 is via iPhone only able to get 16/48...
I am wondering if all these apps claiming 24/192 can deal with iDevice Dac/Amps without the camera connection kits...

By the way I found a store claiming to have the AK10 in stock...
http://www.hk-68.com/newrecordsproduct/headphone-earphones/headphone-amplifier/astell-kern-ak10.html

It's 24/48 with the iPhone according to the A&K specs on their site. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back