Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Mar 13, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #347 of 359
I have been shopping for an AK10 in Tokyo and interestingly it seems over the last week they have started to sell out in many places and the price has started to come down (price went down almost $40 on Amazon here in the last few days). One place I went to purchase it told me it was discontinued, though could be something lost int he translation. Since the price has dropped I will likely get one regardless but anyone else seen signs the AK10 may stop being made?

Headphone amps are so mainstream here in Japan, all the big chain stores have decent high end gear, such a contrast to Australia where you need to order in almost everything.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #348 of 359
I have been shopping for an AK10 in Tokyo and interestingly it seems over the last week they have started to sell out in many places and the price has started to come down (price went down almost $40 on Amazon here in the last few days). One place I went to purchase it told me it was discontinued, though could be something lost int he translation. Since the price has dropped I will likely get one regardless but anyone else seen signs the AK10 may stop being made?
Maybe an AK10 II is in the pipeline, and or sales did drop dramatically as the competion don't sleep. FiiO E17K II delivers the same at half the price to name just one.
Headphone amps are so mainstream here in Japan, all the big chain stores have decent high end gear, such a contrast to Australia where you need to order in almost everything.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #349 of 359
For me the reason to go with an AK10 is for native Lightning support and size (I need mine for flying), there are so few Apple MFi devices out there and most a toys. It's a real shame that FiiO don't get any response from Apple when they request MFi access, I would like a native Lightning FiiO product. It sounds like the MFi licensing is a real obstacle to companies like FiiO. In any case, I ordered an AK10, should have it tomorrow, fingers crossed it plays nice with everything else I have.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #350 of 359
For me the reason to go with an AK10 is for native Lightning support and size (I need mine for flying), there are so few Apple MFi devices out there and most a toys. It's a real shame that FiiO don't get any response from Apple when they request MFi access, I would like a native Lightning FiiO product. It sounds like the MFi licensing is a real obstacle to companies like FiiO. In any case, I ordered an AK10, should have it tomorrow, fingers crossed it plays nice with everything else I have.

Recently a retailer here in Singapore reduced the price from Singapore dollars 399 to 299. Check with them via their FB page - e1 Personal Audio.

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #351 of 359
Well my AK10 arrived today, seems to work well with my iPhone 6, iPad Air and Macbook Pro Retina and seems to drive my DT770 Pro (80ohm) well enough. I think for this things size (it's tiny) it would be hard to beat, particularly with the direct Lightning connection. Perfect for the plane and dragging place to place I think. Now that I pulled the trigger I am sure the new model will be announced on Monday 
bigsmile_face.gif

I don't find the LED indicators and power management particularly intuitive but probably just need to get used to it.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #352 of 359
Well my AK10 arrived today, seems to work well with my iPhone 6, iPad Air and Macbook Pro Retina and seems to drive my DT770 Pro (80ohm) well enough. I think for this things size (it's tiny) it would be hard to beat, particularly with the direct Lightning connection. Perfect for the plane and dragging place to place I think. Now that I pulled the trigger I am sure the new model will be announced on Monday :bigsmile_face:

I don't find the LED indicators and power management particularly intuitive but probably just need to get used to it.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #353 of 359
Wonder what you will think of the sound? Yesterday I did a listening session with my Grado GR10 and Philips Fidelio L2 and as source my iPhone 5s , maybe I am deaf but I didn't notice any difference with or without the AK10.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #354 of 359
I probably need to spend more time comparing however to my ear with the DT770/80's I need to push the volume pretty high with the standard jack and it sounds pretty stressed at that level, with the AK10 outputting about the same volume it doesn't sound like anything in the chain is really struggling too much. I am definitely no expert listener and I don't have a particularly critical ear. I don't really know how to describe it other than it feels to me light its easier for the headphones (and my ears) to listen at volume with the AK10.

Haven't tried anything uncompressed yet, I just updated to the 1.1 firmware which mentioned it will enable 24/96 support (I didn't think MFi allowed it but it specifically says in the release notes it works with FLAC Player). I think the real test will be a 10 hour flight in a few weeks to see how an extended listening session goes.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #355 of 359
Wonder what you will think of the sound? Yesterday I did a listening session with my Grado GR10 and Philips Fidelio L2 and as source my iPhone 5s , maybe I am deaf but I didn't notice any difference with or without the AK10.

There's one difference I appreciate: the A200p (I have the Beyerdynamic version) drives the Custom Studio with ease (after disabling the EU volume limit) while the iPhone on itself does not. But right now I'm once again reminded that it needs a proprietary cable... as I can't find mine to charge it. Thats really unfortunate... I don't quite understand why it does not use Micro-USB.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #357 of 359
Just got my AK10! It was 84 Singapore dollars online, manage to catch a discount on the right day. = )

Problem is, my computer isn't detecting it. Anyone know anything about how it connects to Windows 10?

Edit: Got it working. Had to unplug and re-plug in multiple times, but the computer recognised it after a while.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #358 of 359
Just got my AK10! It was 84 Singapore dollars online, manage to catch a discount on the right day. = )

Problem is, my computer isn't detecting it. Anyone know anything about how it connects to Windows 10?

Edit: Got it working. Had to unplug and re-plug in multiple times, but the computer recognised it after a while.
It doesn't, sorry to say even if cheap, it is a waste of money. If you have an lPhone you won't detect any changes in sound

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #359 of 359
I did get it to work, though. Just took a couple more tries that I thought. 

To be honest, I just wanted to get something that would sound better than my laptop, and cut out the really irritating hiss from my laptop's headphone out. And it does that, so happy with the purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back