Astell & Kern AK10 portable DAC and amp
Dec 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #168 of 359
  I had the AK10 several weeks with my Android phone and enjoyed the lush sound. Only one problem is the original android connection cable of 0.8m too long and not a superior quality. Does anyone know any brand connection cable for this AK10. Thx.

You mean the cable that is included with the AK10 ?

I only know that there is one on ebay : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Official-iriver-Astell-Kern-AK10-microUSB-10cm-for-Android-AK10-AKML01-/111230231684?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&hash=item19e5d6a484

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #171 of 359
Good news the new firmware update not enables use to have 24/96 out using the onkyo app without the need of camera kit.

Still no ipod nano 7G support iriver please make us all happy and enable that.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #173 of 359
  Thanks Berduge. This solves the length issue but not improve the quality. Will purchase this if no other alternative.

Is the 0.8-meter android cable you mentionned the cable included with the AK10 ? Because I ordered an AK10 and the seller told me that an android cable was included, I asked him what type of cable but no answer yet.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #175 of 359
It comes with 3 cables - Lightning, Android and a longer USB one for charging. The Android is probably an afterthought as it was bundled outside the box.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #176 of 359
It comes with 3 cables - Lightning, Android and a longer USB one for charging. The Android is probably an afterthought as it was bundled outside the box.

I'm trying to get rid of my Android cable and will swop with any Android user. For an Apple Lightning one of course.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #177 of 359
I finally received my AK10 this morning, plugged into my Galaxy S4 (the official iriver android cable was included). I previously owned an AK-100, which I did not like because of the recessed / boring mids and treble.

I must say the AK10 sound is, compared to the stock S4 more detailed and "airy", with greater separation, the bass is really well defined and dynamic. But there is one important thing I don't like : the mids are boring, a bit recessed, a tad dry, not very smooth and "liquid". It is better than with the AK100 I think, but still not great. And this point is crucial for me, like a deal breaker.
I could not compare the AK10 to the AK 120 since I never tested it. Compared to the AK100 however, the sound is better IMO.

I will let my AK10 burn in a little, but I don't expect much improvement... I may very well sell it soon I think...

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #178 of 359
  I finally received my AK10 this morning, plugged into my Galaxy S4 (the official iriver android cable was included). I previously owned an AK-100, which I did not like because of the recessed / boring mids and treble.

I must say the AK10 sound is, compared to the stock S4 more detailed and "airy", with greater separation, the bass is really well defined and dynamic. But there is one important thing I don't like : the mids are boring, a bit recessed, a tad dry, not very smooth and "liquid". It is better than with the AK100 I think, but still not great. And this point is crucial for me, like a deal breaker.
I could not compare the AK10 to the AK 120 since I never tested it. Compared to the AK100 however, the sound is better IMO.

I will let my AK10 burn in a little, but I don't expect much improvement... I may very well sell it soon I think...

Wait, mids of AK100 is boring? I though AK100 was praised for liquid and smooth sound. Whoa. You must like a really mid centric sound.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #180 of 359
  Wait, mids of AK100 is boring? I though AK100 was praised for liquid and smooth sound. Whoa. You must like a really mid centric sound.

Not at all, I like a well-balanced sound, and the mids are as important as the rest of the spectrum, and to many people it's even the most important part.
Beautiful voices are not enjoyable with the AK-100 IMHO. With the AK-10 it is a bit better but nah.

I'm not the only one to say that about the AK100 by the way : http://www.audioexcursions.com/files/astell-and-kern-ak100-high-end-audio-player-review.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back