Astell&Kern A&Ultima SP2000T Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #737 of 756
Greetings, I would really appreciate insight into anyone having compared the SE300 and the SP2kT.

I really like my SP2000T but I also use it as a DAC to feed a large desktop amp. When in this mode, the SP2000T must disable the tube, so I am interested in the se300 as its R2R DAC will continue to be part of the output to an external dac. Anyone had/heard the SP2000T and can compare the sound of the two? I am interested in the SE300 for the new UI and the constant line out to a DAC, but dont want to feel like a step backwards in sound quality overall.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #738 of 756
Hello JASONNYC. I've read everything here but have never posted. I've a perplexing issue that hopefully you can assist with.

I've a 2000T that I love. A couple of sound issues (more hiss between songs or albums when in hybrid or tube mode (dead silent background in opamp mode)) with sensitive IEMs, or my very sensive/efficient home system (opamp is great since my home system is all tube based anyway, so I don't really need the subtle "extra-tubeyness" (is that a word?)) but no other issues until now.

I have ripped most of my CD collection to the player using the dedicated AK CD ripper (300+ CDs, yessir, it took a minute) and it works terrifically. Usually. It didn't work nearly as well with my previous DAP, the SA700. Had to plug and unplug cables to make it go.

Anyway, I've tried three times to rip one of my CDs, Supertramp's Famous Last Words. It looks like it works. I can watch as it makes progress on the album, or watch it work through the tracks, but when it's complete, I can't find that it's anywhere. I can even search individual songs and nope, none.

If I try to rip it again, I get the "The music is already here, allow duplicate recording?" and I've tried each way, yes and again after the second fail, no.

Copy protection? Memory is at 85% without having added a card yet (eying the 1.5TB that you've mentioned). No sign of the music anywhere.

Ideas?

Thanks,
James

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #739 of 756
Hello JASONNYC. I've read everything here but have never posted. I've a perplexing issue that hopefully you can assist with.

I've a 2000T that I love. A couple of sound issues (more hiss between songs or albums when in hybrid or tube mode (dead silent background in opamp mode)) with sensitive IEMs, or my very sensive/efficient home system (opamp is great since my home system is all tube based anyway, so I don't really need the subtle "extra-tubeyness" (is that a word?)) but no other issues until now.

I have ripped most of my CD collection to the player using the dedicated AK CD ripper (300+ CDs, yessir, it took a minute) and it works terrifically. Usually. It didn't work nearly as well with my previous DAP, the SA700. Had to plug and unplug cables to make it go.

Anyway, I've tried three times to rip one of my CDs, Supertramp's Famous Last Words. It looks like it works. I can watch as it makes progress on the album, or watch it work through the tracks, but when it's complete, I can't find that it's anywhere. I can even search individual songs and nope, none.

If I try to rip it again, I get the "The music is already here, allow duplicate recording?" and I've tried each way, yes and again after the second fail, no.

Copy protection? Memory is at 85% without having added a card yet (eying the 1.5TB that you've mentioned). No sign of the music anywhere.

Ideas?

Thanks,
James
Just that one CD, correct? Strange. I wonder if the Gracenote info for it is incorrect, so it is ripping it as another album. I haven't heard about an issue like that other than the Gracenote info being incorrect. Let me ask around and see if there is some additional info I can get you.

Not sure if you still have the SA700, but last firmware update a few weeks ago made a bunch of change to the CD Ripping function on the player, it supposedly is much better with CD Ripping now.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #740 of 756
Hi Jason. Thanks. I didn't think about the Gracenote info putting it under something else. Hmmm. Maybe I'll dig through the album files. I'm recovering from knee surgery yesterday, so it's not like I'm going fishing today. 😬

Thank you as well for info on an update for the 700. I do still have it, so will try the firmware change. We never really bonded, not certain why. I find the 2000T more musical.

Not quite like going from my Shure 846s to my Pathfinders. That was a quantum leap, but just more engaging on the T.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #741 of 756
If it doesn't have Album Artist as well as Artist, it won't show. It is there under something like "unknown albums."

I moved my files over from a 1000 SS and nearly 100 of them didn't have Album Artist filled in and they got "lost."

I can nearly guarantee you that is the issue.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #743 of 756
I have an offer for 1500$ demo unit with 2 years warranty... coming from SR25 which I also got only for 300$ with case few weeks ago.

Worth it or not? Consider everything. Thanks.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #745 of 756
I have an offer for 1500$ demo unit with 2 years warranty... coming from SR25 which I also got only for 300$ with case few weeks ago.

I think it is. I thought it was worth the upgrade from the se200 and I paid the sale price at Christmas of 1699 plus 60 for the black case.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #746 of 756
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #747 of 756

Depends on the type of demo unit on whether the warranty would be valid. We do provide some dealers/distributors discounted units for store demo. Those would not be covered under standard warranty. They are usually tagged without a valid serial number, or the serial number recorded. If the store pulled a new, retail sealed box and opened it for demo, the warranty may be valid, if it was originally a sealed, retail unit and the dealer is an authorized AK dealer. If the warranty is void, we would still repair it in the event of an issue, but at your cost. Something to think about.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #748 of 756
1) sold 2) without VAT and thats another +-300$ for me as I live in Europe. Thanks for info anyway.

Also, thanks JasonNYC for info. Its authorized AK dealer, I dont have any info about the unit so far. Still considering if : 1) not to buy anything, as I already have kinda end ish game setup. 2) Buy other IEM with the price difference, than chase 2% in sound improvement. 3) lot of times its about the 2%, but still :-D not sure yet. Thanks for insights everyone.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #749 of 756
Shows Amazon music 24.1.5 is available, but won't download and install anything but 23.13.2.

Attachments

• 20240421_080238.jpg
    20240421_080238.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240421_080250.jpg
    20240421_080250.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240421_080303.jpg
    20240421_080303.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #750 of 756
Got a used SP2000T couple of days ago and loving it! It sounds sublime to my ears! But when I’m inserting micro SD it is getting stuck on the dreaded “Scanning media” message. I’m using a Samsung SD card (see pic attached) formatted/initialized in unit. I only added couple of flac albums on the empty SD but I’m only seeing the internal storage contents on the media page. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5109.jpeg
    IMG_5109.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back