Astell&Kern A&Ultima SP2000T Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #648 of 763
Hi all)
Need help, have a MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports.
When i'm try to use SP2KT, the laptop does not see it either as a disk or as a DAP.
Any ideas how to fix this?
Are you using Android File Transfer or another file manager software that recognizes Android based devices? MacOS does not include native support to recognize Android devices. You must use a third party file management software. Android File Transfer from Google is free to use, a better option is Commander One Pro, which is available from the Mac app store for a small fee.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 14, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #649 of 763
Используете ли вы Android File Transfer или другое программное обеспечение для управления файлами, которое распознает устройства на базе Android? MacOS не включает встроенную поддержку для распознавания устройств Android. Вы должны использовать стороннее программное обеспечение для управления файлами. Android File Transfer от Google можно использовать бесплатно, лучшим вариантом является Commander One Pro, который доступен в магазине приложений для Mac за небольшую плату.
Android File Transfer reports that it was not possible to detect android devices connected to mac.
But mac mini, when connected with a USB 3.1 cable on the mac mini side and UCB C on the 2kt side, works both as a disk and as a DAP.
when connected to a UCB C - UCB C, laptop does not recognise equipment in any of the modes (buttons on the quick access panel are not active)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #650 of 763
Android File Transfer reports that it was not possible to detect android devices connected to mac.
But mac mini, when connected with a USB 3.1 cable on the mac mini side and UCB C on the 2kt side, works both as a disk and as a DAP.
when connected to a UCB C - UCB C, laptop does not recognise equipment in any of the modes (buttons on the quick access panel are not active)
solved, the cable was replaced.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #651 of 763
I am using the SP2000T as a USB-DAC with my Macbook running HQplayer upsampling to DSD256, and it's working great. However, I wonder if the SP2000T is altering the DSD stream in any way in the DAC (like re-sampling) or if it is passing it as a direct DSD stream through the ESS chips. Does anyone know?

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #652 of 763
Also, the LED indicator is always RED when connected as USB DAC. I have it set to show LED for what is playing, does it skip that setting while being used as a USB DAC?

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #654 of 763
Also, the LED indicator is always RED when connected as USB DAC. I have it set to show LED for what is playing, does it skip that setting while being used as a USB DAC?
@JasonNYC any ideas?

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #655 of 763
So on a whim i got to demo this, abiet a very short one (enough for 3 songs). Some issue with my flight changed my planned whole day of demo-ing stuff to just an hour. But at that very short time it really impressed me! Amongst the 3 modes what really caught me off my surprise was the hybrid mode, my gosh it was so thick, lush and natural (not the most transparent) and boy was it satisfying. Im no stranger to totl daps but this was one of the very few daps that really impressed me! I wouldve bought one if it wasnt for the absurd weight. Wm1z though only a few grams lighter at 490g (compared to the 505g on this) is more compact and easier to hold. If ak made a more compact version of this I'd definitely buy one.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #656 of 763
Hi Guys,

I really need your help cause I'm really losing my marbles trying to figure out if my SP2000T has an issue.

On twister 6 the reviewer mentions the volume level he is using on IEMs and it's between 37-59 and full sized cans between 60-80. The I IEMs I have are the VE Elysium and Monarch Mk2 which are not hard to drive at all and to get to a level of about 85DB my volume needs to be between 95-105 on the wheel. If I drop the volume to the levels the reviewer is using it's extremely low. Now either my entire perception of volume is whack and the reviewer actually listens to music at whisper level or this unit has an issue of some kind. At 95-105 shouldn't this be driving full sized cans to loud volumes? I got mine from the UK, is there some kind of limiter on this version compared to the US version like Sony did with their DAPs?

Im heading back to Mozambique in two weeks and I really don't see how this would be able to drive the ZMF veritas, which I read one reviewer saying they sounded excellent on them.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #657 of 763
Hi Guys,

I really need your help cause I'm really losing my marbles trying to figure out if my SP2000T has an issue.

On twister 6 the reviewer mentions the volume level he is using on IEMs and it's between 37-59 and full sized cans between 60-80. The I IEMs I have are the VE Elysium and Monarch Mk2 which are not hard to drive at all and to get to a level of about 85DB my volume needs to be between 95-105 on the wheel. If I drop the volume to the levels the reviewer is using it's extremely low. Now either my entire perception of volume is whack and the reviewer actually listens to music at whisper level or this unit has an issue of some kind. At 95-105 shouldn't this be driving full sized cans to loud volumes? I got mine from the UK, is there some kind of limiter on this version compared to the US version like Sony did with their DAPs?

Im heading back to Mozambique in two weeks and I really don't see how this would be able to drive the ZMF veritas, which I read one reviewer saying they sounded excellent on them.

Thank you in advance.
Your using balanced or Se?

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #658 of 763
Your using balanced or Se?
Hi Denis, I’m using balanced 4.4.

So I am not using any EQ, nor reply gain, and have listened to all sorts of music from Eagles to 2pac to hanz zimmer on tidal, apple music and my own files. So with the Monarch Mk 2 at 110 it is the same volume as AirPods Pro on max volume. The dap can get loud, I just thought there would be a lot more headroom than this considering how much juice it can push and reading of people using high impedance cans on them at 80-90 volume.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #659 of 763
Hi Denis, I’m using balanced 4.4.

So I am not using any EQ, nor reply gain, and have listened to all sorts of music from Eagles to 2pac to hanz zimmer on tidal, apple music and my own files. So with the Monarch Mk 2 at 110 it is the same volume as AirPods Pro on max volume. The dap can get loud, I just thought there would be a lot more headroom than this considering how much juice it can push and reading of people using high impedance cans on them at 80-90 volume.
That is very strange, i dont have my sp2000 anymore, but the power numbers are the same , and with the hifiman planar that i had the 400i with 93db sensitivity 110 on the volume was plenty loud to me

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #660 of 763
That is very strange, i dont have my sp2000 anymore, but the power numbers are the same , and with the hifiman planar that i had the 400i with 93db sensitivity 110 on the volume was plenty loud to me
Thank you for the reply Denis, just to have a frame of reference, when you say plenty loud, do you mean equivalent to AirPods on max volume? But even so, a 93db planar is considerably harder to drive😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back