Are you a cable person?
May 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #106 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrenzini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard some pretty high end equipment and equiptment that other people say makes a difference (HD650 with Stefan Audio art cable).

So, in your opinion why would I be anti-cables?

Because you have heard high end equipment but don't actually own/listen to it on a daily basis? Is this just something out of your reach so it can't possibly be true--in effect a form of denial similar to that you ascribe to the other side? Life is so much simpler when everything is black and white? In my opinion....

May 27, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #107 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you have heard high end equipment but don't actually own/listen to it on a daily basis? Is this just something out of your reach so it can't possibly be true--in effect a form of denial similar to that you ascribe to the other side? Life is so much simpler when everything is black and white? In my opinion....

I've spent an extended period of time with high end cables in my own surroundings, so that argument is caput.

May 27, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #108 of 199
Quote:

I've spent an extended period of time with high end cables in my own surroundings, so that argument is caput.

Have you spent any time comparing these high end cables to other cables to see if you could hear any difference? Did you ever switch out the Equinox in the HD650 for the stock cable to see if you could hear a difference? I had the HD650 with Equinox cable myself and after having the Equinox for 2 months out of curiosity I put the stock cable back in and yes,Virginia- I heard a difference. The stock cable sounded darker and muddier.

May 27, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #109 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you spent any time comparing these high end cables to other cables to see if you could hear any difference? Did you ever switch out the Equinox in the HD650 for the stock cable to see if you could hear a difference?

Not in the example of the HD650's but I have A/b'd interconnects.

May 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #110 of 199
Quote:

Not in the example of the HD650's but I have A/b'd interconnects.

Have you A/B'ed your interconnects in a headphone system? I ask this because I think headphones are a lot more sensitive to changes in ic's than speakers.

May 27, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #111 of 199
IMHO cables make a difference, but of course we are entitled to our own opinions. I have heard though, that it is possible to test signal integrity and I believe that methods of shielding the signal exist - just whether they are audible are up to the user
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #112 of 199
Quote:

Have you A/B'ed your interconnects in a headphone system? I ask this because I think headphones are a lot more sensitive to changes in ic's than speakers.

rolleyes.gif
are you trying to identify that I somehow haven't heard the right system to hear cable differences? What's next, "was it a full moon when you were listening"

I was asking for reasons outside of the two I listed above.

May 27, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #113 of 199
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
are you trying to identify that I somehow haven't heard the right system to hear cable differences? What's next, "was it a full moon when you were listening"

This is just going to be a back and forth thing. You strongly believe there is no difference, yet I CAN hear a difference, so who's right?

I know I can A/B the two interconnects I have right now with ease. There are many various interconnects, most are similar sounding, minor differences, while others can be night and day (I haven't experienced one yet though).

May 27, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #114 of 199
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

You need to be very familiar with the listening material and headphones in order to detect those subtle improvements from different cable. This is why owning equipment and listening it on daily basis is essential. Also your ears should be somewhat trained on how to dissect the sound, follow individual instruments and concentrate on some subtleties, just having perfect 100% hearing is not enough. Better cable does not change particular headphones into something completely different it's just subtle changes here and there that make them more refined and enjoyable.

May 27, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #115 of 199
Quote:

How can anyone be so ignorant to think silver and copper cables don't possess different sonic qualities?

Now that is a Head-Fi classic.

May 27, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #116 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also your ears should be somewhat trained on how to dissect the sound, follow individual instruments and concentrate on some subtleties, just having perfect 100% hearing is not enough. Better cable does not change particular headphones into something completely different it's just subtle changes here and there that make them more refined and enjoyable.

I strongly disagree with this. The only way in which your ears can be reliable are with stark differences even if they are subtle.

Once you have to really try to hear the differences between things subjectivity takes over and you can hear things which aren't there as you want/expect to hear them.

May 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #117 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You strongly believe there is no difference, yet I CAN hear a difference, so who's right?

Exactly, and the implication is that if I can hear a difference I must be deluding myself because I don't want to admit I spent some $ on cables. Total rubbish.

I'll be honest, if I'm not paying attention to the music so much, I'm not going to notice a difference. But, when I am paying attention, lights down low, the sound up, no distractions and I know the track, I can tell when something is pushed to the background or fuzzy. It is for those times when the cables show their value.

May 27, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #118 of 199
Quote:

I'd like to believe you but I'm afraid I can't take this on faith. It's not been quantified and therefore I think you are deluding yourself.

BTW, its kaput.

May 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #119 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, and the implication is that if I can hear a difference I must be deluding myself because I don't want to admit I spent some $ on cables. Total rubbish.

Well, that may just be your own inference, but that's certainly now my implication. If you guys can hear the differences, then a DBT would a very nice way to support your claims. Come on, you guys have got to admit that placebo has its effects in the audio world, and that the power of placebo can be quite amazing. Whether or not it is working on you can be answered with DBTs, but there's no reason to discount the argument that placebo may answer the question of why you guys hear a difference. First recognize that placebo can exist, then realize how we're not trying to insult you when we ask for DBT results.

For the record, I have not heard high-end cables, and I can't really argue either way until I have done so. They may actually make a difference, or they may not. I just feel that the powers of placebo and DBT are being neglected here by the pro-cable crowd.

May 27, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #120 of 199
Quote:

I strongly disagree with this. The only way in which your ears can be reliable are with stark differences even if they are subtle.

Once you have to really try to hear the differences between things subjectivity takes over and you can hear things which aren't there as you want/expect to hear them.

Of course you are free to be entitled to your own opinion. If you can't or don't want to hear the difference the whole world will not convince you otherwise. What's the point of keeping arguing? Do you want to be convinced? Sorry, it just doesn't look like you do.
That topic was discussed here million times as well as if there is audible difference between lossy and lossless format. Some people hear (believe, if you prefer that) in difference, some don't.
Big deal, just move on and enjoy the music, may be one day you'll believe too, if not, that's cool too.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back