Are you a cable person?
May 26, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #76 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and sometimes the differences are not subtle.

You reminded me of Patrick82.
wink.gif

May 26, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #77 of 199
Placebo is an excuse that people who've never compared cables in their system use to explain sound differences that others hear when they do.

May 26, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #78 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Placebo is an excuse that people who've never compared cables in their system use to explain sound differences that others hear when they do.

Not necessarily. Maybe those people have tried, but are unable to hear any difference, for whatever reason, so they assume no one else would be able to either.

May 26, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #79 of 199
Benefits of being a cable person:
1. Presumably better sound
2. More fun
3. Better-looking cables
wink.gif

TelosGoldenReferencepowercord.jpg

Benefits of being a non-cable person:
1. Fatter wallet
2. Simpler gear configuration
3. Less variables, presumably more peace-of-mind

May 26, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #80 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily. Maybe those people have tried, but are unable to hear any difference, for whatever reason, so they assume no one else would be able to either.

Maybe that's the case some of the time, but to me it seems the ones who claim cables don't make a difference have never compared different cables. How can anyone be so ignorant to think silver and copper cables don't possess different sonic qualities?

May 26, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #81 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benefits of being a cable person:
1. Presumably better sound
2. More fun
3. Better-looking cables
wink.gif

TelosGoldenReferencepowercord.jpg

Benefits of being a non-cable person:
1. Fatter wallet
2. Simpler gear configuration
3. Less variables, presumably more peace-of-mind

That's a serious looking power cord. My grandma might mistaken it as a godsend and keep it on her shrine.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #83 of 199
Yeah its pretty infuriating when people don't do some good testing before forming an opinion (Not to say all non-believers don't test. All I am saying is that there are people who do form opinions without testing and its lame). But it is also important in keeping an open mind. I for one am jealous of people can do not hear a difference because then they don't need to spend as much! Sadly I do hear a difference :/

May 26, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #84 of 199
Cable geometry, dielectric, and material can perhaps make measureable differences in various ways (e.g. various attributes, and then sometimes in measuring certain types of distortion with certain devices), but that's a much different sort of claim from claims that this is audible. A pretty large amount of measureable phenomena aren't audible. It seems like people overestimate the sensitivity of human ears when trying to develop theories on what sorts of changes make for audible results, to sometimes surprising degree. I've tried a variety of cables including some rather pricey stuff, and even had the fun of trying to measure performance characteristics on a few, and I have ear training from testing various psy models for lossy codecs since the late 90s. About the only situation in which I obtained a particularly audible change was going from a very short (0.15m) to a longer (2m) cable, and I suspect this may have been due to the longer cable inducing oscillation to the point of audibility in the nearly totally unstable output device (a much more serious problem anyhow :p). I'm open to the possibility that my test methodology was in some manner flawed, though I would be surprised to find that I managed to overlook audible differences when I can detect rather minor distortions in psy model testing without significant modifications to test methodology.

Understandably, I think, I decided I'd avoid a big investment in cables for my own use. I use basic cable that gets the job done. I've tried pretty diligently to find audible differences, and at that point I'm looking at differences so subtle (if at all existing) that my money is better spent elsewhere. Even the differences I've seen others describe don't strike me as getting near the price/performance ratio of various other tweaks I could bother with, so it doesn't seem like a wise investment for me. However, nice cables do look snappier and, let's face it, aesthetics is a major part of the hobby for many people as well. There are certain situations where design/construction is very important (such as impedance matching for an S/PDIF connection) and so I take that seriously. I may make some snappy cables for the heck of it if I get bored enough and have the time and resources, and then test them of course.

I'm certainly happy to entertain another cable test if someone wants to put up with me :p. I don't have much investment in it either way so I'd be happy to verify your findings if I should encounter such results
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #86 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! Cognitive dissonance, K!!

hey, "the more you pay, the more it's worth!"

I had to really bite down hard to order and pay for those silver cables you recommended (150 bucks), but they seem to be well made, and definitely do the job.

The $150 Signal Cable Silver Resolution Balanced sure is a great sounding cable. But to my ears the $1000 RSAD Poiema!!! Signature provides a new level of clarity and bass extension.

Well worth the money for me. But I am sure others can live happily with a $5 interconnect...
tongue.gif

May 26, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #87 of 199
Some will never realize the true potential of their system because they refuse to even consider proven tweaks. It's like cooking without salt.

But then, for others tweaking is just another black hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back