Are these Grado GS 1000s fakes? Help!
Mar 19, 2008 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Deckard79

New Head-Fier
Hi folks!

Sorry to make this first post of mine such a downer.

I've just purchased some Grado SR-125s from ebay - they should be arriving tomorrow. I noticed that this seller, who has low feedback, has suddenly started selling large numbers of Grado cans including the top-of-the-range GS-1000s:

GRADO - GS 1000 STATEMENT HEADPHONE on eBay, also Corded, Headphones, Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 15-Mar-08 01:00:54 GMT)

I'm starting to get a little worried, as look at the second picture on this listing...

The headphone cable appears to be completely detatched, they look highly 'glossy' and the limited warranty card appears rather basic and amateurish.

Now, I may be paranoid but.... does that look counterfeit to you?

Suddenly, my excitement over getting the 125s is turning to fear of being ripped off!

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 35
Looks alright to me. Just seems to be a relatively new seller. He has positive feedback recently for the sales of Grado phones.

The headphones look detached because they are packaged in the box with the cable routed under the foam. The warranty card looks like typical Grado.

Let us know when you receive them.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 35
The warranty card looks just like the one that just came with the pair of grados I just got. Seems like a legit pair, but who knows. If you decide to pull the trigger then maybe pay with a credit card just in case. I may be mistaken but I believe GS1000s have serial numbers. Maybe ask for that and cross-reference that with Grado Labs in Broooklyn.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 35
Cheers mate, appreciate the reply. He is also selling RS-1 cans which on the second photo do not have the wooden cap with 'RS-1' in the centre... though he claims these are a 'new model'.

But anyway, proof will be in the listening... will bet back tomorrow with an update...

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 35
The seller changed their name on 2nd March from gradoboy1 to sladebrook80. At least that means they haven't just started selling grado cans out of the blue. Keep us posted.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The seller changed their name on 2nd March from gradoboy1 to sladebrook80. At least that means they haven't just started selling grado cans out of the blue. Keep us posted.

Didn't notice that before - ah well, they're probably just a Grado enthusiast. Well spotted
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 35
Good call on the name. But $995 (headroom advertised price) = £500. These are £525. The price doesn't indicate a fake to me. And the cable is a 15' extension included with the GS1000s I think.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 35
Awesome folks, thanks for all the quick replies and reassurance. Think I've found a home here
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone else had any experience with the SR-125s? Had been using the SR-80s until recently, and those sounded pretty darned good. What improvements could I expect to pick up over those?

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckard79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome folks, thanks for all the quick replies and reassurance. Think I've found a home here
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone else had any experience with the SR-125s? Had been using the SR-80s until recently, and those sounded pretty darned good. What improvements could I expect to pick up over those?

After very recently having the opportunity to listen to both of these with the same source, one after another, I will tell you that the difference i observed between the 80 and the 125 is almost negligible. They are both bright and have a very similar sound, but i did notice a very slight improvement in the highs going from the 80s to the 125. by improvement i mean that i found that range to be less... harsh and tinny.

I then listened to the 225s right after these two for the hell of it. If you are going to upgrade from the 80s to something higher in the prestige series, i'd recommend the 225s. Im biased cause i own a pair, but i bought them for a reason. they are a great headphone, and certainly a much more noticeable and (as far as im concerned) more worthwhile upgrade.

with that said... they say that once you start posting and reading here that your wallet gets lighter, and I hope I am helping, at least in that respect
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 35
Is this viral advertising for a ebay seller?

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After very recently having the opportunity to listen to both of these with the same source, one after another, I will tell you that the difference i observed between the 80 and the 125 is almost negligible. They are both bright and have a very similar sound, but i did notice a very slight improvement in the highs going from the 80s to the 125. by improvement i mean that i found that range to be less... harsh and tinny.

I then listened to the 225s right after these two for the hell of it. If you are going to upgrade from the 80s to something higher in the prestige series, i'd recommend the 225s. Im biased cause i own a pair, but i bought them for a reason. they are a great headphone, and certainly a much more noticeable and (as far as im concerned) more worthwhile upgrade.

with that said... they say that once you start posting and reading here that your wallet gets lighter, and I hope I am helping, at least in that respect
evil_smiley.gif

don't worry mate, that steady decline in finances process has already begun
wink.gif

First it was hifi equipment, but now onto cans. Those SR80s really gave me a great taste of some wonderful sound. In fact, they sounded superior to my £400 Acoustic Energy Speakers...

This is no doubt the start of a long, incremental process. It'll probably be 225s or 325s by the end of the year!

If the highs of the 125s are a little more detailed, that's pretty positive. I'm modding my Auzen Prelude with some nice high-end opamps and hoping the combination will be quite satisfying... bring on tomorrow!

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this viral advertising for a ebay seller?

nah mate, don't worry. I read a thread on here about counterfeits and it suddenly occurred to me I could get stung too... some of the stuff on this forum is terrifyng. How can ebay get away with such lax controls?

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckard79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah mate, don't worry. I read a thread on here about counterfeits and it suddenly occurred to me I could get stung too... some of the stuff on this forum is terrifyng. How can ebay get away with such lax controls?

fake grado? where?
Just surprised that your first post on head-fi is the first message in this thread. I do not see anything wrong with the seller your mention or *any* sellers on ebay except the usual china fakes (very easy to identify them).

For example this one is also good (but used):
Grado GS1000 GS 1000 Headphones Headset - eBay (item 330220778748 end time Mar-23-08 18:00:00 PDT)

NEW:
BRAND NEW GRADO GS 1000 GS1000 Headphones!! on eBay, also, Headphones, Portable Audio, Consumer Electronics (end time 21-Mar-08 13:48:25 GMT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back