Are these Grado GS 1000s fakes? Help!
Mar 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 35
Bad ebay sellers, especially cheaters selling fake or improperly labeled Grados, are common and frequently mentioned on Head-fi Helios.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this viral advertising for a ebay seller?

If it was, I'd buy from him. It'd be a genius idea. In all likelihood, the guy (like many, many people) probably just lurked until he had a reason to post.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #18 of 35
Well, the cans arrived this morning and you guys were right - they are not fake. Very relieved, but to be honest I think I'll probably think twice from now on when purchasing through ebay as the risk is always there and growing...

And to a couple of folks, come on, if I wanted to advertise I wouldn't do so by claiming the products to be counterfeit! If you want you are welcome to look up my own userid on ebay - smile.pc.

So, on with the long process of burning in. To be honest they sound great already. Is the burning in idea any more than a myth (like bi-wiring speakers)? Perhaps my hearing isn't good enough to tell the difference.... but then, if in 30 hours I hear a huge difference i'll take that back!

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #19 of 35
Buying off of ebay may give you issues if you need to file a warranty claim. Not sure how strict Grado is in actual practice, but their website indicates that they only honor warranty from authorized resellers who, in turn, are not authorized to sell on such places as ebay. Says you have to keep your purchase receipt.

Grado Labs, Inc.

Just giving you the heads up since one of your concerns was the warranty card.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #20 of 35
Congrats, enjoy your new Gs1ks. That bass will settle down, give them a couple hundred hours. Feed them everything and youll hear the changes.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, enjoy your new Gs1ks. That bass will settle down, give them a couple hundred hours. Feed them everything and youll hear the changes.

Oh, if only I had bought GS1Ks!
wink.gif

My budget limited me to buying the SR-125s from this guy... I only referred to the GS1000s because I was concerned from the photo they may have been counterfeit (and am happy to say I have been proven wrong).

The warranty point made earlier is a very good one. I've been stung in the past as manufacturers of various things have decided not to honour their warranty due to the fact the items were sold through unauthorised sellers.

Definitely worth keeping in mind if you're going to shell out an arm and a leg.

Regardless, in future I'll stay away from ebay when it comes to audio equipment. This transaction turned out fine though
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 35
Oooooops ....
redface.gif
. My mistake. LOL. Well, congrats on the 125.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooooops ....
redface.gif
. My mistake. LOL. Well, congrats on the 125.

Cheers!

They sound wonderful... even my wife seemed genuinely impressed when she tried them out. Have to say I love the Grado sound... Night Beat by Sam Cooke never sounded so sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by afternoon025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems ok.you can ask for some photos if you really worry about it.

Yep it's definitely fine - you can pretty much tell the moment you hear them. I was talking to another guy who had actually purchased the GS1000s from that seller - he was also concerned initially and had also read through Head-Fi for more information.

Looks like this place is the definitive source for excellent advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #26 of 35
That GS1000 looks like the real deal to me.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #27 of 35
I'd love to see a pair of counterfeit grados. I've never seen such a thing. Grado is too small a volume product to get noticed by counterfeiters. They most clone things like senn px100s or apple ibuds.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #28 of 35
It would be too expensive to counterfeit headphones like GS-1000 anyway. The woodwork alone would take too much time to build and would cost too much to counterfeit. It would just not make sense.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be too expensive to counterfeit headphones like GS-1000 anyway. The woodwork alone would take too much time to build and would cost too much to counterfeit. It would just not make sense.

Have to disagree there - far more complex products have been counterfeited successfully - look at basic hifi loudspeakers, amplifiers, even complex electrical devices such as handheld consoles are being attempted and were sitting pretty in these market place malls.

The material expense of Grado phones, even the GS1000s, wouldn't amount to much.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree!
Probably don't take to much time or cost a lot of money, for someone with the correct gear and knowledge, to reproduce the woodwork.

I am sure its possible to reproduce the GS1000 for far less than $1000 a unit. The material costs are not that high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back