Are there Silver SR325i's
Jan 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Just had some headphones delivered in a 325i box, but the metal enclosure is silver rather than gold.

Does anyone know whether the 325i also comes in silver, or whether I've got a 325 in a 325i box? They sound good though.

Ian

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 144
That's an older version. Grado changed to the newer, gold cup model a few years ago.

Their marketing copy from that time stated that the sound was tweaked a bit as well. There are more than a few threads here on Head-Fi about the differences by those who have owned/listened to both.

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 144
what did you order?

325 or 325i

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Just had some headphones delivered in a 325i box, but the metal enclosure is silver rather than gold.

Does anyone know whether the 325i also comes in silver, or whether I've got a 325 in a 325i box? They sound good though.

Ian

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 144
on the face of it, sound like you have recieved 325 only. post a picture so we can be sure.

also ask the seller if he had it dipped or stripped. i silvered my mesh on mine, but the casings were still gold

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 144
Quote:

I ordered a 325i.

The box says 325i but the headphones inside are silver.

Ian

Then you got the 325s. You should pursue this immediately.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 144
I recall a story of someone here that bought a SR225 that were just SR60s with SR225 cups on them.
frown.gif

Anywho, do what Shoreman said. Pursue immediately.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 144
Thanks guys. I have contacted the people selling them and told them about it. They jumped and replied to my email almost instantly so I think they are concerned too. Especially as they were in a sealed 325i box. I sent them a picture and I've emailed Grado Labs about UK suppliers.

Sometimes you do see pictures of a 325 when they are advertising a 325i and it's a bit disconcerting. What I don't get is how a mistake like that could be made - surely someone would know that the 325i is gold?

I thought it was me .... Actually, I thought maybe they produced gold versions for the celebration year and went back to silver.

If any UK buyer wants to know the suppler, email me. Fore-warned is fore-armed. (Although they will take them back, I reckon)

Ian

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 144
If the box was sealed there would be no way of telling if they were gold.
wink.gif

Anyway I hope you get lucky and that they get replaced without any hassle. It sounds like the supplier is honest. Good luck!

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 144
It was the first thing I thought when I saw the box, because the Pizza type box has plastic 'windows' and you can see the cups from the outside.

I think that they may have a dodgy supplier.

I'm not too happy with them because I ordered on 21st December and they emailed me to say that the first pair delivered were crushed so they sent them back. This is a second pair and it seems some supplier is putting 325's into 325i boxes.

Ian

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are the old 325, they might be worth a lot more depending on the driver iirc

Well this is the thing. They do actually sound fantastic and the stuff I've read about the 325 doesn't accurately match what I'm hearing. The biggest moan about the 325 is that they are too toppy, but I am finding this pair quite sweet with a beautiful attack on bass notes with no hang on afterwards at all.

A quick comparison with the Audio Technica ATH AD1000 has made the 325 seem very mellow!! The 1000's clatter away and are quite harsh in comparison and the 325's are new and not broken in yet.

I'll wait and see what happens. (I quite like them but if the 325i is an improvement on these, then I'll be more than happy)

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 144
i always found the 325i nice and detailed i really appreciated there spacious non closed sound

they were extremely well paired with electronic music oddly. great synergy there.

bass heads need not apply as stock.

hope you get the best result for you either way ian!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 144
Quote:

Well this is the thing. They do actually sound fantastic and the stuff I've read about the 325 doesn't accurately match what I'm hearing. The biggest moan about the 325 is that they are too toppy, but I am finding this pair quite sweet with a beautiful attack on bass notes with no hang on afterwards at all.

A quick comparison with the Audio Technica ATH AD1000 has made the 325 seem very mellow!! The 1000's clatter away and are quite harsh in comparison and the 325's are new and not broken in yet.

I'll wait and see what happens. (I quite like them but if the 325i is an improvement on these, then I'll be more than happy)

I personally hate the gold 325i sound. Its so shrieky sounding :p

Can you take a pic of the drivers so we can try to identify it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back