Are there any other headphones that have the same surround effect as Ultrasones?
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 106
pd_akg_k1000_141206.jpg

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 106
I like Ultrasone a lot and maybe it's my ears, but the one thing that doesn't impress me is S-logic. I just don't hear it. I think the sound is great, it's detailed, warm but not too warm, mids are very nice, bass and treble good and soundstage is fine. Is it me? I am just not hearing a very wide soundstage. Let me rephrase this: I don't think the Ultrasone soundstage is what makes it special. My Beyerdynamics DT 990 have a bigger soundstage and so did my AKG K500. I am wondering if it's me though... Waiting to hear more from Ultrasone owners.

So to go back to the original question of this thread: I wouldn't buy Ultrasone because its special soundstage.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 106
I don't hear it and never have. I like the Ultrasone headphones and for the most part enjoy what I hear but S-logic? Don't get it.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 106
All headphones are basically designed like the S-logic headphones are now. It's like 50 years ago when budweiser said they used special filters to make their beer. Well at the time so did everyone else but Bud was the only company that said they were. It was a marketing ploy. All s-logic means is that the drivers are aimed at an angle instead of straight into your ears so that the sound reflects off your outer ear before going in, giving your a more realistic sense of the sound. Well last time I was in best buy and looked inside a pair of Bose triports they even had the drivers aimed slightly off axis. I would assume that just about all circumaural headphones are designed the same way. If you want a huge soundstage get some Grado GS-1000's.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 106
I don't know. With my Ultrasones it's like I put my head in a box, and in that box is a beautiful world of music. With other headphones it's like the box is in my head.

Does that make any sense?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 106
Quote:

All s-logic means is that the drivers are aimed at an angle instead of straight into your ears so that the sound reflects off your outer ear before going in, giving your a more realistic sense of the sound ...

I think the Ultrasone drivers are aimed straight, but not into your ear. That's how the bounce effect works. They are offset. Other HP's have this too. But S-logic does present a different soundstage than the 701's, which indeed as others here say have a super sound stage. My Ultrasones (750's) are closed and the 701's open, so even though I listen to both I cannot make a direct comparison. I do think however that there is something "different" about S-logic ... which is why Ultrasone is loved or hated.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Join team AKG if you want soundstage!

x2 for the soundstage...but it's different FROM the other brand, Ultrasone surround effect sound are really involve the whole body, not JUST head...like heard the music from speakers, not headphone...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try K501 to expand that box to a stadium

agreed !

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Ultrasone drivers are aimed straight, but not into your ear. That's how the bounce effect works. They are offset. Other HP's have this too. But S-logic does present a different soundstage than the 701's, which indeed as others here say have a super sound stage. My Ultrasones (750's) are closed and the 701's open, so even though I listen to both I cannot make a direct comparison. I do think however that there is something "different" about S-logic ... which is why Ultrasone is loved or hated.

x2 !

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Ultrasone drivers are aimed straight, but not into your ear. That's how the bounce effect works. They are offset. Other HP's have this too.

Correct. That's all there is to it, the rest is just Ultrasone marketing BS. Offset drivers do make a difference, though, but it's not any kind of magic or unique technology.

I never noticed any kind of unique soundstaging effect from the 2500. Soundstage was pretty nice though, not too big but nicely separated, with good imaging and space between instruments.

Just about any kind of headphone with good soundstage will give you similar results, though. What you want is a headphone specifically with good imaging - K340, K501, HD650 balanced (single-ended is too fuzzy and diffuse), and of course electrostatics like O2 (but not so much 404 and similar Lambda-style 'stats) all have really good imaging.

Imaging was definitely one of the 2500's strenghts, and the only headphone in the pricerange that was outright better at it was the K340.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Ultrasone a lot and maybe it's my ears, but the one thing that doesn't impress me is S-logic. I just don't hear it. I think the sound is great, it's detailed, warm but not too warm, mids are very nice, bass and treble good and soundstage is fine. Is it me? I am just not hearing a very wide soundstage. Let me rephrase this: I don't think the Ultrasone soundstage is what makes it special. My Beyerdynamics DT 990 have a bigger soundstage and so did my AKG K500. I am wondering if it's me though... Waiting to hear more from Ultrasone owners.

So to go back to the original question of this thread: I wouldn't buy Ultrasone because its special soundstage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't hear it and never have. I like the Ultrasone headphones and for the most part enjoy what I hear but S-logic? Don't get it.

These two comments from Reb and jamato are testaments of how truly great some Ultrasone headphones apparently are. The idea that they can't hear the S-Logic effect and they still think that Ultrasone makes great headphones really says something, IMO. Please read the first post (mine) in the thread "The Sound of the Ultrasone Proline (Pro) 750" (link to this thread in my signature area). This post describes the way I hear the Proline 750 sound stage and I also write about the theories of why some people are unable to hear the Proline 750 (S-Logic) sound stage the way it is meant to be heard by the Ultrasone developers.
Believe me, I've experienced the S-Logic "surround effect" myself. I can assure you that it is no marketing ploy but, indeed, a very real audio feature of the Pro 750.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All headphones are basically designed like the S-logic headphones are now. It's like 50 years ago when budweiser said they used special filters to make their beer. Well at the time so did everyone else but Bud was the only company that said they were. It was a marketing ploy. All s-logic means is that the drivers are aimed at an angle instead of straight into your ears so that the sound reflects off your outer ear before going in, giving your a more realistic sense of the sound. Well last time I was in best buy and looked inside a pair of Bose triports they even had the drivers aimed slightly off axis. I would assume that just about all circumaural headphones are designed the same way. If you want a huge soundstage get some Grado GS-1000's.

Except for possibly the parts about Budweiser and the Grado's GS-1000 sound stage, the information in your post, Joelc87, is very much in error. I would write "IMO" except that all one would need to do is a modest amount of research to find out just how factually incorrect most of the information is in your post. I suggest you do better research before you post any more highly erroneous comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back