Are Planar Magnetic headphones really better than dynamic one's, or is there a fundamental misconception going on?
Nov 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #46 of 85
Thanks for this, great advice. It's the audio purist in me that dictates these things. I understand that there are different types of audiophiles, we are a strange breed! I fall into the category of striving for the best...over the years I have learned allot and I will not stop researching and listening until I find what sounds like the best to me. I thought I found it with the AKG K702 but my recent planar purchase (Fostex TH500RP) has forced me to question my long held belief and notion that I would never find another headphone that I would prefer the sound of more, and has made me question whether or not planar magnetic headphones are overall superior or inferior. Welcome to the workings of my mind! this is just me, I question these things. I question everything. It's the scientist in me. Personally, I don't think it is possible to conclude which driver type is better, between planar magnetic and dynamic, on the face of it, if pricing is anything to go buy (pardon the pun), then planar magnetic headphones appear to be superior to dynamic one's as they tend to cost more..but from an objective technical point of view, planars do have some serious and shocking disadvantages over dynamic drivers mostly due to the positioning of the magnets which obstruct some soundwaves and the shape of planar magnetic drivers also presents a problem regarding distortion (the sound waves travelling along the diaphragm and breaking up at certain points). It is confusing to say the least! these are some serious technical disadvantages yet it goes against everything i'm hearing when I compare my TH500RP subjectively to my K702. Why do they sound so good when compared to dynamic and they shouldn't, according to physics?! it's amazing.
Yes. You bring up a good point. Most of the people on Head-fi are on their own personal audiophile journey. In order to find joy and happiness along the way, we must go it alone (with input and data points from others as well). One person's joyous journey could be another's hell. I guess it's all good. I wish you success and happiness! :)

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #47 of 85
Thanks for this, great advice. It's the audio purist in me that dictates these things. I understand that there are different types of audiophiles, we are a strange breed! I fall into the category of striving for the best...over the years I have learned allot and I will not stop researching and listening until I find what sounds like the best to me. I thought I found it with the AKG K702 but my recent planar purchase (Fostex TH500RP) has forced me to question my long held belief and notion that I would never find another headphone that I would prefer the sound of more, and has made me question whether or not planar magnetic headphones are overall superior or inferior. Welcome to the workings of my mind! this is just me, I question these things. I question everything. It's the scientist in me. Personally, I don't think it is possible to conclude which driver type is better, between planar magnetic and dynamic, on the face of it, if pricing is anything to go buy (pardon the pun), then planar magnetic headphones appear to be superior to dynamic one's as they tend to cost more..but from an objective technical point of view, planars do have some serious and shocking disadvantages over dynamic drivers mostly due to the positioning of the magnets which obstruct some soundwaves and the shape of planar magnetic drivers also presents a problem regarding distortion (the sound waves travelling along the diaphragm and breaking up at certain points). It is confusing to say the least! these are some serious technical disadvantages yet it goes against everything i'm hearing when I compare my TH500RP subjectively to my K702. Why do they sound so good when compared to dynamic and they shouldn't, according to physics?! it's amazing.
… ‘The audio purist’…what is that?…purity to what?…it could be so many things…tangible / intangible…qualitative / quantitative…

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #48 of 85
… ‘The audio purist’…what is that?…purity to what?…it could be so many things…tangible / intangible…qualitative / quantitative…

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/purist

Quote; "A purist is a person who insists on following certain rules exactly. Most purists are fans of tradition and traditional rules, always sticking to those rules themselves and often instructing other people to do the same. To be a purist is to be a kind of perfectionist"

I have a mental construct in my mind, built up over the course of time, of what true hifi is. It goes back to the 90's when the world was still very much in the analogue era and I listened to my fathers Technics SC-HD51 micro separates system. Long term exposure to an above average system like that, when I was growing up in the 90's has undoubtedly shaped my beliefs and preferences. I prefer traditional methods and values. I believe a certain way of listening is the only way (I use digital components - but only because it's largely unavoidable in this day and age, and for convenience - I still believe in the superiority of analogue) none other will satisfy me. I have a certain way of doing things. To give you an example; I am the kind of person who believes in modifying a headphone (physically) to achieve a desired sound, instead of tweaking it's sound using EQ software, because I believe EQ software doesn't bring about an actual change to the sonic characteristics of a headphone driver itself. And if a headphone still doesn't satisfy me even after mods, I have no problem keep on spending on new headphones until I find what i'm looking for, instead of just eq-ing a headphone. This kind of attitude has led me to spend thousands and thousands of dollars, but I don't regret it, it has been educational. I have learned allot along the way. However, I can't keep spending, I now have my own house and with a house comes bills..which is something I haven't had to worry about until now, so i'm calling time on my activeness in this hobby. I'm retiring, now that I have finally found a headphone that ticks all the boxes for me. It took me 13 years to reach this point, I started buying high end headphones when I was a naive teenager, allot has changed since then, the world is a different place already, and now i'm 31 and ready to move on.

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #49 of 85
I favor dynamic headphones...can't explain why, but I do.

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #50 of 85
I favor dynamic headphones...can't explain why, but I do.
Not knowing what you've been exposed too, it's hard to qualify that statement.

For instance there have been 5 folks here over the past 5 years that said the HFM HE-500 had crappier bass then the HE-400. 4 of them turned out to have them badly under powered, and when they switched, they realized they were wrong.

Having heard a lot, but far from all, my conclusions:

Closed backs with pumped up bass: all suck - any technology

Open backs can be great, good, or not so hot - depending on the quality of the driver.

I'm into stage, timbre, speed, transparancy, micro detail - hate bright/sibilant treble, or fat, sloppy bass. Every technology has entrants into that small group. I have heard more planars that aspire to that group, so there are more members from that tech on my list. The cheapest can that can do it - but not imaging, or low bass impact is the HD-600 - but only on an OTL amp. The best: DCA Voce (with the new pads, even better) for an estat has bass, and has the most natural treble timbre. Still not heard the new Rall which is getting rapturous reviews from people who have actually heard it. D8000, OG LCD-4, HFM HEK v2, Susvara, HD-800 (over the S, but with mod) are some others.

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #51 of 85
It depends.
I wouldn't point at any one vendor for Q/C or ascribe motivation to any seller.

It is all after all: buyer beware unless you know the person.

My problem with HFM is the very little money and attention they pay to items outside of the drivers.
I can point to HFM for their POS build quality. I have 2 HFMs - love the cans hate the quality.

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #52 of 85
It depends.

I can point to HFM for their POS build quality. I have 2 HFMs - love the cans hate the quality.
The drivers are great, but, the pads, cables, headband, screens - are functional with no thought to impact on the sound.

I've owned: HE-400, HE-400i, HE-5LE, MD-4XX, HE-500 (2), HE-560 v1, HEX v2, HE-5 SE, HE-6 SE, HEK v1, and had the HE-6 SE v2, HE-6 6 screw and Susvara on loan - and all of them functioned and nothing broke - except the 400i which I got beat used for peanuts.

Oh yeah, the other thing I dislike about HFM is the bogus claims made about the HE-5 SE, HE-5XX, HE-6 SE. They baldly lied about both SE's (the 6 is a great can none the less, but the 5 SE is a steaming pile (my copy at any rate - bass fell off like a stone under 70 Hz and it was in no way a copy of the OG 5). The implied connections to the HE-500 to improve the sales of the light weight, no low bass 5XX was the 3rd time in 3 years they pulled one of these tricks.

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #53 of 85
Not knowing what you've been exposed too, it's hard to qualify that statement.

For instance there have been 5 folks here over the past 5 years that said the HFM HE-500 had crappier bass then the HE-400. 4 of them turned out to have them badly under powered, and when they switched, they realized they were wrong.

Having heard a lot, but far from all, my conclusions:

Closed backs with pumped up bass: all suck - any technology

Open backs can be great, good, or not so hot - depending on the quality of the driver.

I'm into stage, timbre, speed, transparancy, micro detail - hate bright/sibilant treble, or fat, sloppy bass. Every technology has entrants into that small group. I have heard more planars that aspire to that group, so there are more members from that tech on my list. The cheapest can that can do it - but not imaging, or low bass impact is the HD-600 - but only on an OTL amp. The best: DCA Voce (with the new pads, even better) for an estat has bass, and has the most natural treble timbre. Still not heard the new Rall which is getting rapturous reviews from people who have actually heard it. D8000, OG LCD-4, HFM HEK v2, Susvara, HD-800 (over the S, but with mod) are some others.
I use a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z. I only use balanced cables. Currently I am using Shure SRH1540 headphones and Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones. I have tried AKG K812s and Meze Empyrean headphones. I have Meze 109 Pro headphones with the upgraded copper balanced cable on order. I do not own a home stereo or TV. I am 100% portable and likely will remain so. I don't like being tied down to a desk or room. I have had the Shure headphones for six years and love them. I really liked the AKGs, but traded them and a Lotoo Paw Gold for a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #54 of 85
I use a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z. I only use balanced cables. Currently I am using Shure SRH1540 headphones and Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones. I have tried AKG K812s and Meze Empyrean headphones. I have Meze 109 Pro headphones with the upgraded copper balanced cable on order. I do not own a home stereo or TV. I am 100% portable and likely will remain so. I don't like being tied down to a desk or room. I have had the Shure headphones for six years and love them. I really liked the AKGs, but traded them and a Lotoo Paw Gold for a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.
Ummmm... I only know the Emps which I don't like at the cost - at all. With your power you are best off with dynamics and high efficiency planars. A HFM 400 SE is pretty cheap and might change your mind a bit. That's mighty high end DAP. You may like the 109's a lot.

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #55 of 85
Ummmm... I only know the Emps which I don't like at the cost - at all. With your power you are best off with dynamics and high efficiency planars. A HFM 400 SE is pretty cheap and might change your mind a bit. That's mighty high end DAP. You may like the 109's a lot.
I appreciate the tip. I will try to check them out.

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #56 of 85
I find that the the planar driver headphones vary wildly in capability but if theres one specific thing that its always lacking is the punchiness and impact with bass hits. Not talking about bass volume or extension but the authority of how the bass hits and some mid frequencies that require some oomph. The planars are usually excellent with technicals but its always missing this aspect with the exception of maybe the abyss frankensteiners.

They sound kind of flat compared to dynamic drivers.

The speed is quite nice with planars though, I don't think any dynamics can match planar speed.

I think its just a matter of taste, I wouldn't call one superior to the other, just a different flavor and we all have our own particular flavors like we like.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #57 of 85
I find that the the planar driver headphones vary wildly in capability but if theres one specific thing that its always lacking is the punchiness and impact with bass hits. Not talking about bass volume or extension but the authority of how the bass hits and some mid frequencies that require some oomph. The planars are usually excellent with technicals but its always missing this aspect with the exception of maybe the abyss frankensteiners.

They sound kind of flat compared to dynamic drivers.

The speed is quite nice with planars though, I don't think any dynamics can match planar speed.

I think its just a matter of taste, I wouldn't call one superior to the other, just a different flavor and we all have our own particular flavors like we like.
HE6se with a capable amp and dac.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #58 of 85
HE6se with a capable amp and dac.
I've heard the he6se driven with my audio-gd master19.

If that planar is considered punchy with bass impact, you should hear what the denon d7200s sound like.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #59 of 85
"Better" is subjective. Depends on the source, amp, headphones, and genre of music. That is why I have so many, as each has their "best" trait, depending on what you are looking for. To give you an example, I have yet to find a better headphone overall for acoustic than ZMF. Or overall for edm than Rosson. Or for detail overall than Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back