Are Pioneer headphones good?
Jul 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:
Yeah, I got the Sextetts. So far I really like them.

Also, I loved the Studios. I'm contemplating getting another pair, but this time hunting for a pair that was made in Austria to see for myself if there's truly any differences between the models made in China and those made in Austria.

Where were your Studios made?

Unfortunately, they're made in China.  Tried hunting down some new old stock of Austrian ones, but it just wasn't happening.  I ended up getting them for under $80, and they are my favorite cans atm, so I don't have any complaints at the moment.  And I don't care what anyone says, even though it's only 55 Ohms with a sensitivity of 91 dB/mW, I get a LOT more out of them with an amp than without.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Unfortunately, they're made in China.  Tried hunting down some new old stock of Austrian ones, but it just wasn't happening.  I ended up getting them for under $80, and they are my favorite cans atm, so I don't have any complaints at the moment.  And I don't care what anyone says, even though it's only 55 Ohms with a sensitivity of 91 dB/mW, I get a LOT more out of them with an amp than without.

Absolutely, I agree with the amp thing. With my experiences, they were picky with what I plugged them into. When I plugged them into my receivers, they got a bit muddy with boomy bass. But when amped with say the Asgard, the bass tightened up. Low impedances can benefit from being amped, in my opinion. My SE-50 (see thread is still kind of on topic) are 8 ohms and when amped with the Asgard they really 'even out'.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:
Absolutely, I agree with the amp thing. With my experiences, they were picky with what I plugged them into. When I plugged them into my receivers, they got a bit muddy with boomy bass.

YES!  I've got them plugged into a little op-amp circuit right now, and I notice something similar.  While the amp circuit tends to not put as much of a veil over the midrange, I can definitely notice a roll-off at the top that robs me of some sparkle. 

Quote:
But when amped with say the Asgard, the bass tightened up. Low impedances can benefit from being amped, in my opinion. My SE-50 (see thread is still kind of on topic) are 8 ohms and when amped with the Asgard they really 'even out'.

frown.gif
  I can't afford jack Schiit right now in the way of amps, so I'll have to live vicariously through your descriptions for now.  Maybe the Schiit guys will have some pity on me and throw me a refurb they got lying around at the LA meet?  Or not.

OP:  Yes, Pioneer's are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back