Are High-End Headphones Addictive?
May 4, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 65
I'd say addictive BUT: when i have to listen to crappy output of Ipod's headphone jack, i get accustomed to crappy sound, which makes me really appreciate a good headamp and my DT880's. Good to listen to crappy sound once a day, I think.

May 4, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #17 of 65
I dunno, I love my Staxes and K1000s but I'm almost as happy listening to my lowly KSC-75s. I wouldn't be totally crushed if I were stranded with them. Enjoyable sound is enjoyable whatever it costs. If I were left with only Senn 580/600s I'd pretty soon lose interest in listening.

May 4, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 65
Actually I almost want to take my vote back. Headphones are definitely addicting but the only headphones I can't go back to are stock earbuds/mass market sonys. I still enjoy my "lower" end headphones (HD600s/650s/er6is) quite a bit even though I've gone somewhat past them.

May 4, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 65
Rocking Chair + High End Headphone of Choice = Massive Addiction.

I am a long standing member of HAA (Headphone Addicts Anonymous). How do I know this? Rocking away takes precedence over sleep...

...replace Rocking Away with Heroine and this is the same thing those guys say.

plainface.gif

Neil

May 4, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rocking Chair + High End Headphone of Choice = Massive Addiction.

I am a long standing member of HAA (Headphone Addicts Anonymous). How do I know this? Rocking away takes precedence over sleep...

...replace Rocking Away with Heroine and this is the same thing those guys say.

plainface.gif

Neil

That's just damn scary! but you're right! Sometimes I refuse to go to sleep, because then I won't be hearing the MUSIC! While I'm at work, I constantly think about HOW I'm going to get away from the family so I can have time with the RIG!! Gaaaaaaaah.... darn you to heck head-fi!!! Darn .. You.. to .. HECK!
mad.gif

May 4, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 65
First of all, addiction is different than obsession. I can tell you there are a lot of obsessed people around here (yep, me too). Habit forming at the least.

With headphones and climbing the ladder, however, it CAN be hard to go back down to a lesser piece of gear, but not always. In fact, it can often be a real testament to the quality of a lower-end piece of equipment that you CAN enjoy it, even after being spoiled by the riches of hi-fi.

Notables that come to mind include the Grado SR60, Koss KSC75 and Portapro, Senn PX100, etc...

On the other hand, dropping back to lower-end phones that don't compete, like the ibuds, can be downright headache inducing!

May 4, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #26 of 65
Better phones make your cd's sound different and usually better.
It's almost like getting a remastered cd
wink.gif

JD
eggosmile.gif

May 4, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, I love my Staxes and K1000s but I'm almost as happy listening to my lowly KSC-75s. I wouldn't be totally crushed if I were stranded with them. Enjoyable sound is enjoyable whatever it costs. If I were left with only Senn 580/600s I'd pretty soon lose interest in listening.

It's because they sound like a pair of high end headphones!
wink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not addictive at all.
---
[size=xx-small]Headphones: AKG :: K85 | K135S | K240 | K240 | K240 | K240DF | K240M | K240S | K260Pro | K270 | K270S | K280 | K290 | K300M | K301 | K340 | K340 | K400 | K401 | K500 | K501

Beyerdynamic :: DT831 | DT831 | DT931[/size]

You must break out of this Denial before we can help you.

The first step toward stopping this addiction is to admit you have a problem.
Quick, someone make an intervention and help this kid. First, we must relieve him his AKGs so he can go cold turkey - yep, send them to me, I'll hold them safe.

May 4, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #30 of 65
They can be very addictive but I like the older, cheaper models just a much the big shots. People who listen to headphones are also as a whole, much more down to earth then out speaker counterparts and that's what makes this hobby fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back