Are Beats worth it?
Feb 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #31 of 35
NO.

THE BEATS ARE WORTH ~ $20.00. Paying more for the beats is not worth it!

Sorry about the size. Just wanted to repeat it for the umpteenth time.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #32 of 35
Just don't buy the Beats.

I don't think they're worth even $20. If Monster gave me a pair, I'd either sell them or stick the unopened box in the closet.

The problem with the Beats is that they add bass that isn't present on the recording. Do you really want a headphone that makes noise on its own? I don't. They also drown out the mids and highs. I think of the Beats as defective, even when new and undamaged.

What you want is something that does a good job of conveying a recording accurately. That means not producing bass that isn't there to begin with. It also means that you should hear the mids and highs; they shouldn't be hidden under a veil of bass.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #33 of 35
Hfi 580s are easily my favorite out of those listed for your musical interests. I have relatively similar interests. Well, not entirely, but you get what I mean.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #34 of 35

Quote:
Quote:
Also, be wary of people who seem to go out of their way to cast doubt on the M50 in multiple threads. *whistles*

I would suggest possibly looking into the Koss ProDJ100. You can get it from Best Buy. Really good can in pretty much every regard, and a bit less expensive than the others mentioned.

Quote:
Be careful, there are tons and tons of beginners on here that have gotten the M50's and will just recommend them to everyone even if they haven't heard any other pair of headphones. In my opinion, the M50's do not have enough bass. I'm guessing you want bass because you are considering the beats so that's why I mention it. The 580's are said to have a little more bass. And to the answer the question of your thread, no. The sound quality is not not worth $300. The cheap plastic is definitely not worth $300. Lets say you could get the studios for around $100 though, I might have to do that. Yes, they are overpriced, but they have some nice bass.

Whodare callin' my name? 
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, slapshot has a point in that, since the M50 is the first headphone a lot of Head-Fi'ers get, if it's also their only reference they might recommend it a little overzealously. I had the opposite reaction, BTW--too thick, bassy, and slow. But I still think they have their good points, one of which was that I found them unfatiguing (no thing of small importance). They're also nicely detailed, extended, and have excellent imaging. On the one hand I can see why they're so popular, but on the other I don't want new members to get the idea that they're the be-all, end all headphone. In my post and my quote are two completely opposite impressions, which should tell the OP everything he needs to know about consensus on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

i just bought back a pair of M50's, my second "major" headphone purchase after the portapros and grado sr80i. okay, 3rd big purchase, would be interesting to see what I think of them now that i've tried one or two other headphones

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #35 of 35
*Innocent whistling*

$300 range? I listen to dubstep (+metal, +techno, +classical [Rachmaninov REPRESENT!], +a bunch of other nonsense) on my DT770/600s ($185 when I got them on Amazon) + Practical Devices XM5 (with the options I got, $313 including shipping). That's about the $500 range, though. I'm betting that a Firestone Fireye II ($100) could power the DT770s decently enough to do deep, wobbly bass (one of my roommates is using my Fireye II, and I haven't tried it with dubstep yet). The downside to the Fireye is that it's USB-only, so no portable dubsteppin' if that's what you want.

Of course, what the hell do I know? (Not much, I can tell you that - I'm far from experienced when it comes to sound, and even further when it comes to owning stuff that can produced decent sound. Oh, the woes of not having infinite money. T-T )

-- Griffinhart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back