Are Beats worth it?
Feb 13, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Please forget the beats. They're not worth it, to say the least.

I haven't heard these for myself, but I've caught myself kind of interested in those B&W's. And if you were impressed with those Beats, there's a WHOLE WORLD of more impressive headphones out there for you, which is a good thing!

Jude just wrote a review on them, and if I remember right they're in that $300 price range.

lol, since when are we taking Jude's advice? Have you seen the advertisements around here?

I'm not forcing anyone to take Jude's advise. But I'll put my bottom dollar down on those P5s sounding better than any beats.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 35
Poppy, what is your budget?

For dubstep, I'd go for earphones as they will isolate better. For the same price as the Beats, you can go for the JVC FX700 or it's little brother, the JVC FX500. You can only buy them from overseas such as from seyo-shop.com

Those two are basically made for dubstep with their deep bass.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
Poppy, what is your budget?

I'd imagine at least $300 if the OP was considering the Beats, though of course we all know what assumptions do.

OP: Enlighten us--how much have you got laid aside for new headphones?

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 35
Might I suggest the Klipsch IMAGE One's?  Still a fairly new headphone with not many reviews, but I find them to be really great.  I have also tried the M50's and the SR60's.  I find that the mids are slightly recessed in the IMAGE One's, but the treble is pretty good and gets better with burn-in.  The plus side, is that the bass response is amazing.  It is clean and hits pretty hard, far better than the M50's.  It can be somewhat overemphasized, however, if you are listening to dubstep and metal and things of that nature then they are awesome.  Additionally, they are easy to drive and very portable.  SQ may not be the best in the price range, but it is still good and for the price and portability they are a nice set of cans.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
Quote:
i would also recommend the shure srh750DJ as a good competitor to the m50s, hfi 580s, and the beats.

that's the only thing you recommend. maybe they'd be a iffy if they actually looked decent

its the only one in taht price range i have tried and i disagree on them looking ugly. i quite like the looks on them.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
The srh750dj is hideous.

Hey! Them fightin' words...  Seriously speaking, while I admit they are not the most elegant in design, I feel ugly is a little too strong, plus there's no denying the beauty of the sound these guys produce.  Remember, beauty can be a very subjective thing.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 35
Haha I don't know why but those sort of remind me of Star Wars. But they don't look that bad IMO. At least they aren't plain like so many other headphones on the market.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #26 of 35
Also, be wary of people who seem to go out of their way to cast doubt on the M50 in multiple threads. *whistles*

I would suggest possibly looking into the Koss ProDJ100. You can get it from Best Buy. Really good can in pretty much every regard, and a bit less expensive than the others mentioned.

Quote:
Be careful, there are tons and tons of beginners on here that have gotten the M50's and will just recommend them to everyone even if they haven't heard any other pair of headphones. In my opinion, the M50's do not have enough bass. I'm guessing you want bass because you are considering the beats so that's why I mention it. The 580's are said to have a little more bass. And to the answer the question of your thread, no. The sound quality is not not worth $300. The cheap plastic is definitely not worth $300. Lets say you could get the studios for around $100 though, I might have to do that. Yes, they are overpriced, but they have some nice bass.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #27 of 35
I'm definitely not the only one who thinks the M50's are recommended way too much. I don't know where the vicious cycle started, but at this point theres so many noobs recommending them to everyone/anyone. That's how I got tricked into buying them, all these people saying "get the M50's, they're bass monsters!" No they definitely are not. I'm not saying there bad headphones by any means, they're pretty good, especially good for the price before they shot up. I just think there are many other headphones at the price point that rival/beat the M50's but fall through the cracks because of people recommending the M50's to pretty much anyone regardless of their needs.
Quote:
Also, be wary of people who seem to go out of their way to cast doubt on the M50 in multiple threads. *whistles*

I would suggest possibly looking into the Koss ProDJ100. You can get it from Best Buy. Really good can in pretty much every regard, and a bit less expensive than the others mentioned.

Quote:
Be careful, there are tons and tons of beginners on here that have gotten the M50's and will just recommend them to everyone even if they haven't heard any other pair of headphones. In my opinion, the M50's do not have enough bass. I'm guessing you want bass because you are considering the beats so that's why I mention it. The 580's are said to have a little more bass. And to the answer the question of your thread, no. The sound quality is not not worth $300. The cheap plastic is definitely not worth $300. Lets say you could get the studios for around $100 though, I might have to do that. Yes, they are overpriced, but they have some nice bass.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:
Quote:
Lol is this going to turn into a polling war of SRH750 ugly or not? Haha.

yeah because the srh750s are worse than fannywangs

i don't understand what you hate about the looks of them they look professional to me and i like that. i thought head fiers cared more about sound quality over looks anyways.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:

Quote:

Whodare callin' my name? 
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, slapshot has a point in that, since the M50 is the first headphone a lot of Head-Fi'ers get, if it's also their only reference they might recommend it a little overzealously. I had the opposite reaction, BTW--too thick, bassy, and slow. But I still think they have their good points, one of which was that I found them unfatiguing (no thing of small importance). They're also nicely detailed, extended, and have excellent imaging. On the one hand I can see why they're so popular, but on the other I don't want new members to get the idea that they're the be-all, end all headphone. In my post and my quote are two completely opposite impressions, which should tell the OP everything he needs to know about consensus on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back