Apple Music HiFi
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #76 of 98
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...or-windows-appear-in-microsoft-store.2376632/

Can anyone confirm if they stream lossless on Windows? My windows still 10 can't install unfortunately..
Yes! Finally!

屏幕截图_20230112_225239.png

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #79 of 98
I'm currently using Qobuz + Roon and I'm considering the switch to Apple Music. I'm primarily a Windows PC user but I understand there are issues/limitations when running Apple Music from a Windows PC due to the lack of exclusive mode. I'm wondering if running a Mac Mini as a music server would work and then just use some sort of Remote Desktop from my Win PC to the Mac to control music playback and get the full hifi experience. I am aware of the "Lossless Switcher" app but Id rather not go that route if at all possible.

OR

Unless Apple has some sort of "Connect" option where you can run Apple Music from the Windows PC to navigate the music playback but the music playback processing is hosted on the Mac w/ the connected Dac; almost like Roon a Core. Anyone w/ Mac experience know if this is possible?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #80 of 98
I'm currently using Qobuz + Roon and I'm considering the switch to Apple Music. I'm primarily a Windows PC user but I understand there are issues/limitations when running Apple Music from a Windows PC due to the lack of exclusive mode. I'm wondering if running a Mac Mini as a music server would work and then just use some sort of Remote Desktop from my Win PC to the Mac to control music playback and get the full hifi experience. I am aware of the "Lossless Switcher" app but Id rather not go that route if at all possible.

OR

Unless Apple has some sort of "Connect" option where you can run Apple Music from the Windows PC to navigate the music playback but the music playback processing is hosted on the Mac w/ the connected Dac; almost like Roon a Core. Anyone w/ Mac experience know if this is possible?
There’s not a server/remote option for Apple Music akin to Roon that I’m aware of and that reads like what you are looking for.

Fwiw I run Roon on a Rock Server (cheapish easy build), HQP on a PC, and Macs to control everything. I only go into the windows pc to reset HQP occasionally.

Do you have a limitation on running a Mac mini as your primary computer?

I’ve tried the transition to Apple Music as a Mac user and I even tried building a mirror of my Roon Library in Apple Music playlists. AM doesn’t have near the catalog that my Tidal/Qobuz/Local library currently has and the AM interface isn’t anywhere near Roon as far as ease of use and especially the Radio feature found in Roon that kicks in after an album or individual track is finished. Roon is a very close second to Spotify as far as its Radio feature amongst all services I have or have tried.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #81 of 98
There’s not a server/remote option for Apple Music akin to Roon that I’m aware of and that reads like what you are looking for.

Fwiw I run Roon on a Rock Server (cheapish easy build), HQP on a PC, and Macs to control everything. I only go into the windows pc to reset HQP occasionally.

Do you have a limitation on running a Mac mini as your primary computer?

I’ve tried the transition to Apple Music as a Mac user and I even tried building a mirror of my Roon Library in Apple Music playlists. AM doesn’t have near the catalog that my Tidal/Qobuz/Local library currently has and the AM interface isn’t anywhere near Roon as far as ease of use and especially the Radio feature found in Roon that kicks in after an album or individual track is finished. Roon is a very close second to Spotify as far as its Radio feature amongst all services I have or have tried.
I have not yet committed to a Mac Mini but I do own a iPad Pro. I'm also aware of the limited stream services w/ Roon (been using Roon for about a year) which is why Im inquiring about Apple Music.

Im curious about Apple Music's larger music library as I've had numerous issues w/ Qobuz and I tried doing the duo Qobuz+Tidal subs and found it to be redundant in most cases. I agree Qobuz music quality is considered the best and Roon is clearly a better music manager vs Apple & Spotify. I'm thinking for my use case that quantity > quality might be a better fit for me and I think Apple sits right between Qobuz & Spotify.

I'm just curious if the sacrifice of features of Roon to gain a larger and reliable library might be a better fit for me. I've had issues where I create a playlists w/ Qobuz+Roon and later have that playlist butchered because Qobuz no longer supports the track or artist, this happens way too often and according to others in my discord server this is common behavior from Qobuz and is not something that plagues Apple music.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #82 of 98
In case anyone is interested that may not be aware, Apple Music w/ exclusive mode is coming to Windows 11 (only) via the Windows Store called "Apple Music Preview". This should eliminate the need to use the "Lossless Switcher" app and/or own an Apple device to get the full benefits of Apple Music w/ Lossless audio. I believe this was announced Jan 2023 and is still in development.

Capture.PNG

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #83 of 98
In case anyone is interested that may not be aware, Apple Music w/ exclusive mode is coming to Windows 11 (only) via the Windows Store called "Apple Music Preview". This should eliminate the need to use the "Lossless Switcher" app and/or own an Apple device to get the full benefits of Apple Music w/ Lossless audio. I believe this was announced Jan 2023 and is still in development.

Capture.PNG
Nice so this is an updated Preview build of what is currently out? Or a separate App all together?

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #84 of 98
Nice so this is an updated Preview build of what is currently out? Or a separate App all together?
I believe this is a new separate app being offered by Apple via Win 11 App Store only. Tbh I dont have any experience w/ Apple Music so my knowledge of the service is rather limited. I'm just hopping they do expand as they plan so I can ditch Qobuz. Qobuz is great on quality but has a limited library.

May 7, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #85 of 98
I am running my iPad Pro on 16.4.1 through my Bifrost 2/Jotunheim 2 stack. I just discovered the toggle for hi-res/lossless. Do I need to re-download the tracks I’ve already downloaded or do they get upgraded quality after toggling hi-res on?

May 7, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #86 of 98
I am running my iPad Pro on 16.4.1 through my Bifrost 2/Jotunheim 2 stack. I just discovered the toggle for hi-res/lossless. Do I need to re-download the tracks I’ve already downloaded or do they get upgraded quality after toggling hi-res on?
To answer my own question: no, it doesn’t download the higher quality tracks automatically.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #87 of 98
Does anyone have problems with Apple Music sound stops playing even though indicator keeps going?

I am burning in Focal Clear MG headphones when I am at work between 08:00 and 18:00. I will check to make sure all is well prior to leaving home. In the evening, when I get home, the Apple Music indicator shows the song keeps playing but there is no sound coming out. If I unplug / replug the USB-C/USB-B cable (using AudioQuest and Fiio cables), songs come out of the headphones again.

My setup is: iPad Pro (Apple Music) to AudioQuest / Fiio USB-C/USB-B to Focal Clear MG.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 5, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #88 of 98
Does anyone have problems with Apple Music sound stops playing even though indicator keeps going?

I am burning in Focal Clear MG headphones when I am at work between 08:00 and 18:00. I will check to make sure all is well prior to leaving home. In the evening, when I get home, the Apple Music indicator shows the song keeps playing but there is no sound coming out. If I unplug / replug the USB-C/USB-B cable (using AudioQuest and Fiio cables), songs come out of the headphones again.

My setup is: iPad Pro (Apple Music) to AudioQuest / Fiio USB-C/USB-B to Focal Clear MG.

Thanks in advance.
I have that happening once in a while but normally it plays again in the next track or if I move the "needle" a little bit backwards.

Sep 5, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #89 of 98

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it’s regularly happening after either 17 seconds or 2 minutes and 17 seconds into tracks. If I click on the slider a few seconds before it, it will happily continue playing with sound again. Vey strange.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #90 of 98
Yes, it’s regularly happening after either 17 seconds or 2 minutes and 17 seconds into tracks. If I click on the slider a few seconds before it, it will happily continue playing with sound again. Vey strange.

I think I fixed it. I deleted and reinstalled Apple Music on the iPad Pro, along with turning off Dolby Atmos and Sound Check (Settings > Music > Dolby Atmos, Sound Check, etc). Then I restarted the iPad Pro. I let the music playing for 15 minutes before I left this morning, time will tell if it still plays when I get home. I am inclined to think that this is an Apple Music problem and less of a USB cable / DAC/AMP problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back