Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #151 of 862
Nov 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #152 of 862
I am intrigued by this amp but it looks like I would need yet another cable (CablePro Earcandy) to use it conveniently with my Rockboxed Classic.

[size=11.199999809265137px]This is the cable we recommend with out TTVJ Slim amp. The 4 inch version with a right exit on the 90 degree iDock is what you need to order. It is one sweet cable. Highly recommended!!![/size]

Has anyone confirmed if 4 inches is still the ideal length with the Apex Glacier?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #153 of 862
I was about ready to jump on this until I started itching for tubes again grrrrr. 
Do I buy this now or wait for Christmas!
Anyhow any other impressions on this awesome looking portable amp?

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #154 of 862
Quote:
I am intrigued by this amp but it looks like I would need yet another cable (CablePro Earcandy) to use it conveniently with my Rockboxed Classic.

Has anyone confirmed if 4 inches is still the ideal length with the Apex Glacier?

Why don't you just get a Fiio L9 for a third of the cost?

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #155 of 862
Quote:
Why don't you just get a Fiio L9 for a third of the cost?

It is a good suggestion. Thank you. However it is going to be way too short to wrap around if you attach the Classic above the Apex glacier with both facing forward.

I have a couple of very good Whiplash iPod cables so the solution may simply be to have the volume control and headphone input in the back when I am looking at the Classic; I can accommodate that already. But for the ideal low-profile front-facing set-up you need a Fiio L9 style of cable but about twice as long. That's the $100 CablePro Earcandy.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #156 of 862
Quote:

Why 4 inches? You can't just just a low-profile LOD from the ipod line-out directly to the Glacier? That sits nicely at one end and isn't in the way.  Your ciem or headphone goes to the other end. It works very nicely for me and I almost always listen on commute.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #158 of 862
Quote:
Why 4 inches? You can't just just a low-profile LOD from the ipod line-out directly to the Glacier? That sits nicely at one end and isn't in the way.  Your ciem or headphone goes to the other end. It works very nicely for me and I almost always listen on commute.

Kunlun, 4" is TTVJ's recommendation.

If you want the volume control on the front, that is how you do it. If you are happy with the volume control at the back then yes, any old line out dock will do. 

I would prefer the volume control at at the front. Would I prefer it to the tune of $100? That is the question.

(Why does anyone create a rear line-in portable amp?  I do not understand the design ethos. Awkward. But I like the TTVJ Slim and I expect that I will like this.)

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #159 of 862
Quote:

Kunlun, 4" is TTVJ's recommendation.

If you want the volume control on the front, that is how you do it. If you are happy with the volume control at the back then yes, any old line out dock will do. 

I would prefer the volume control at at the front. Would I prefer it to the tune of $100? That is the question.

(Why does anyone create a rear line-in portable amp?  I do not understand the design ethos. Awkward. But I like the TTVJ Slim and I expect that I will like this.)

I promise I'm not intending to bother you, but could you explain a little more? I have no idea what you mean by "volume control on the front".

The volume's at the top of the Glacier, as is the output jack for the earphone. So, when matched with an ipod, for example, the output jack for the ipod is also on the top. It's not far from the output jack of the Glacier itself, which is right behind the ipod.

The line-out of the ipod is on the bottom. It is right next to the line-in on the Glacier sitting behind it.

That seems like a very logical way to have things.

It seems almost as if you are wanting to flip the Glacier upside-down so the volume and output jack are by the bottom of the ipod and a LOD has to transverse the entire height of the unit to reach to the line-in, is that correct? Why is that preferable? Thanks!

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #160 of 862
I'm really not getting it either. If you look below you'll see one of my mobile rigs consisting of a pair of Westone 4's being driven by an iPod Touch 3rd Gen and my Leckerton UHA-4 hooked up via a Fiio L9. I'm guessing you want to mate your glacier in such a way so your IEM/headphone plus volume control is coming out of the amp from the bottom end of the iPod not unlike my Leckerton is instead of the top end of the iPod?

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #161 of 862
You both are getting it now. I like a front load system. This requires that the cable wrap around. I cannot take any creative credit for this. The quotation above is from the TTVJ site. That is why they recommend a 4" cable.

It is a matter of taste. Here is a fast and dirty pic of my Stepdance setup.

90% of the time I use my rig on a tabletop. I like to have the volume control, HP out and screen facing me. It is also excellent when carrying in a bag as the iPod is then upside down and it is a natural one hand motion to pull it out and lift it to be right side up.

Anyway if I do get this amp, I will likely spring for the CablePro Earcandy because it will be a sweet combination. I have to say though, that setup with the Fiio L9 is nice.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #162 of 862
Kunlun, you think in terms of top and bottom whereas I think in terms of front and back. This probably reflects how we use portable amps. We can say then that I like the volume control and HP out on the front and bottom for the reasons that I explain above.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #164 of 862
Quote:
Kunlun, you think in terms of top and bottom whereas I think in terms of front and back. This probably reflects how we use portable amps. We can say then that I like the volume control and HP out on the front and bottom for the reasons that I explain above.

So, you're saying that I think of tops and bottoms?  I'm not saying you're right, but what does that have to do with audio equipment?
tongue.gif

Quote:
Kunlun, I would love to hear your impressions of the Glacier's DAC. Thanks!

I'm not the authority on DACs, but the Glacier's DAC performs excellently. I'm quite happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back