Anyone tried the Gen 2 Xiaomi Mi Hifi?
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Slater

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't find any information on the new version of the Xiaomi Mi Hifi headphone.

Xiaomi still has the original version on their website - no mention of the Gen 2 (yet).

The driver has been changed to Graphene vs the Beryllium one in the Gen 1.

The only visual change is the external grille, which has been changed from a mesh to a drilled design:

<--Gen 1     Gen2-->

If you look closely, you can also make out "Graphene Driver" on the cup in the Gen 2 photo:

<--Gen 1     Gen2-->

I was able to verify that the Gen 2 does NOT include the extra sets of earpads (over-ear and foam bowls). So you're stuck with the on-ear pads only.

Anyone have this model yet, and if so any impressions?

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 13
I can't find any information on the new version of the Xiaomi Mi Hifi headphone.

Xiaomi still has the original version on their website - no mention of the Gen 2 (yet).

The driver has been changed to Graphene vs the Beryllium one in the Gen 1.

The only visual change is the external grille, which has been changed from a mesh to a drilled design:

I received these a few days ago from amazon.co.uk. I actually thought I was getting the original version because all the photos and info on the listing refer to the original. At first when they arrived I was disappointed to not get the original 3 sets of pads but then I started reading about graphene and I am very excited to maybe being one of the first on headfi to try them. So far I am very impressed with the sound right out of the box. I have no idea if graphene is meant to need burn in and I still am undecided about burn in generally. I do it so I won't lose credibility when I post in certain threads... lol.

There are a couple of other physical differences besides the grill change. The connectors going into the cups are now gold to match the cups. They look very nice but there is a problem with the cable. The distance from the cup connector to the mic unit split is less than 8 inches. Far too short for me. I just measured my Meze cable and that part is 16 inches! Same with my Denon D600. I found one dual entry cable here that is 12 inches. I have seen videos and photos of the original version of this headphone and it definitely has a longer length to the split. This really bothers me as I cannot stand the feel of the cable touching my neck as it does. Sometimes when I put the headphone on the cable catches on my chin for a second. I do have a normal size head and neck I promise! Someone with a really large neck might feel like they are being choked.

Do you know how I might go about getting them to send me one of the original cables? The Amazon vendor would want to just exchange the item and that will not help. I saw one video of the new version and I could see that the cable was the same as mine. The company does need to be made aware of this as I think it will be a problem for many people. Only a small person with a small neck might not notice.

The other physical difference is the pads. I think they tried to include features incorporating the best aspects of the 3 types that came with the original. They appear to be the same size as the smaller size ones that came with the original but they are not the same material. They do not have the little perforations. They seem to be the softer smoother material that the large pads were. Of course no grado style pad which some said sounded the best on the original. However, I think the headphones were tuned to work well with the pads that these have because everything sounds great. I have not tried to remove the padsf but they appear to attach in the same way as the original ones did. So if someone had or could get the other pads they could try them.

One other cosmetic difference. The stitching on the headband is now gold (very subtle color not bright). The original had red stitching on the band.

Overall I am very pleased with them (other than the cable problem). I paid £69. I also picked up the Imore mk801 in red for £49. Also impressive! Great with my little Ruizu A50 DAP (£45)! I must say I am very impressed with what the Chinese are doing with technology at this time. Great quality. Definite pride in the products. Competitive prices. Of course there are people here who will not be interested because they "don't cost enough."

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 13
I received these a few days ago from amazon.co.uk. I actually thought I was getting the original version because all the photos and info on the listing refer to the original. At first when they arrived I was disappointed to not get the original 3 sets of pads but then I started reading about graphene and I am very excited to maybe being one of the first on headfi to try them. So far I am very impressed with the sound right out of the box. I have no idea if graphene is meant to need burn in and I still am undecided about burn in generally. I do it so I won't lose credibility when I post in certain threads... lol.

There are a couple of other physical differences besides the grill change. The connectors going into the cups are now gold to match the cups. They look very nice but there is a problem with the cable. The distance from the cup connector to the mic unit split is less than 8 inches. Far too short for me. I just measured my Meze cable and that part is 16 inches! Same with my Denon D600. I found one dual entry cable here that is 12 inches. I have seen videos and photos of the original version of this headphone and it definitely has a longer length to the split. This really bothers me as I cannot stand the feel of the cable touching my neck as it does. Sometimes when I put the headphone on the cable catches on my chin for a second. I do have a normal size head and neck I promise! Someone with a really large neck might feel like they are being choked.

Do you know how I might go about getting them to send me one of the original cables? The Amazon vendor would want to just exchange the item and that will not help. I saw one video of the new version and I could see that the cable was the same as mine. The company does need to be made aware of this as I think it will be a problem for many people. Only a small person with a small neck might not notice.

The other physical difference is the pads. I think they tried to include features incorporating the best aspects of the 3 types that came with the original. They appear to be the same size as the smaller size ones that came with the original but they are not the same material. They do not have the little perforations. They seem to be the softer smoother material that the large pads were. Of course no grado style pad which some said sounded the best on the original. However, I think the headphones were tuned to work well with the pads that these have because everything sounds great. I have not tried to remove the padsf but they appear to attach in the same way as the original ones did. So if someone had or could get the other pads they could try them.

One other cosmetic difference. The stitching on the headband is now gold (very subtle color not bright). The original had red stitching on the band.

Overall I am very pleased with them (other than the cable problem). I paid £69. I also picked up the Imore mk801 in red for £49. Also impressive! Great with my little Ruizu A50 DAP (£45)! I must say I am very impressed with what the Chinese are doing with technology at this time. Great quality. Definite pride in the products. Competitive prices. Of course there are people here who will not be interested because they "don't cost enough."

Wow, very cool. Yeah, you are the 1st as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the detailed writeup - very helpful for those considering this model.

As far as the cable, you might be able to get a 3rd party cable with better split on Amazon, ebay, or Aliexpress. Is the ends that go into each cup 3.5mm or 2.5mm? Any proprietary features like locking tabs or anything like that?

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 13
Wow, very cool. Yeah, you are the 1st as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the detailed writeup - very helpful for those considering this model.

As far as the cable, you might be able to get a 3rd party cable with better split on Amazon, ebay, or Aliexpress. Is the ends that go into each cup 3.5mm or 2.5mm? Any proprietary features like locking tabs or anything like that?

No locking tabs but it has to be a slim connector and I would want the connector to look good with the cups so not silver colored. I don't think I should have to buy a cable when they have made it wrong. The cable for the original version would be perfect. I need to find out how to contact the company. They need to know so they can have satisfied customers. The ends are 2.5mm 3 pole but I assume 2 pole would work.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 13
No locking tabs but it has to be a slim connector and I would want the connector to look good with the cups so not silver colored. I don't think I should have to buy a cable when they have made it wrong. The cable for the original version would be perfect. I need to find out how to contact the company. They need to know so they can have satisfied customers. The ends are 2.5mm 3 pole but I assume 2 pole would work.

http://www.mi.com/en/support/contact/

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Thank you.

I will mention that they feel surprisingly comfortable. I usually do not get on well with on-ears. I did gently stretch the headband a bit as I also cannot handle too much clamp.

Yeah, I'm not usually an on-ear fan either. I have Meizu HD50 with a very similar size and on-ear layout as the Xiaomis, and I ended up modding it to install larger oval pads. I actually got the idea from the original Xiaomi headphones.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/meizu-hd-50.790491/page-9#post-13365034

meizu2.jpg meizu.jpg

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Yeah, I'm not usually an on-ear fan either. I have Meizu HD50 with a very similar size and on-ear layout as the Xiaomis, and I ended up modding it to install larger oval pads. I actually got the idea from the original Xiaomi headphones.

I looked at that link. Looks like a lot of work. I wonder if Xiaomi would make the larger pads available for separate purchase. Might be too hot though and a little strange looking.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 13
I looked at that link. Looks like a lot of work. I wonder if Xiaomi would make the larger pads available for separate purchase. Might be too hot though and a little strange looking.

You could always mod something. The process on most headphones is very similar.

You already saw how I changed out the pads on the HD50 (linked above).

Here's a very similar process I did to the Philips A50 Pro: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/p...-and-impressions.725777/page-29#post-13496826

Only difference is on the A5 Pro I used a replacement stock pad instead of larger oval pads like on the Meizu HD50.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 13
http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_613782.html

6 available here if anyone else wants to try them. I will mention that they are a brighter sound signature than I usually listen to. I tend toward a laid back sound. I do like these though. I hope someone will give them a proper review. I don't really do that.

I paid £69 on Amazon.co.uk and, while the info is mostly related to the first generation, I received this 2nd generation one.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 13
I did get an inexpensive more comfortable cable. I have too many listening choices but tonight I will get these out and listen to some music. They are on my radar at the moment because another company is working on what they describe as the worlds first graphene driver. headphone. I expect theirs will be more high end.

The Gearbest link in the post above still works.

Amazon.co.uk still describes Gen 1 but ships Gen 2

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 13
I did get an inexpensive more comfortable cable. I have too many listening choices but tonight I will get these out and listen to some music. They are on my radar at the moment because another company is working on what they describe as the worlds first graphene driver. headphone. I expect theirs will be more high end.

The Gearbest link in the post above still works.

Amazon.co.uk still describes Gen 1 but ships Gen 2

Care to share the details? Or is it a big secret? :0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back