Anyone Heard Zues Headphoneamp?
Feb 2, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #31 of 34
Well, it took me 1.5 years to know what I wanted. I think I am finished now. Although I have not heard Stax. Frankly I don't want to either. It's like SACD or Vinyl for me right now...another system which is incompatible with my other stuff (in this case, changing up between dynamic cans/amps and electrostatic ones). For now...cd's are for me...next up...speakers.

But my wife keeps eying vinyl, and when the wife actually takes an interest in audio...you run with it
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #32 of 34
Hard to believe that the unit is fully burned in yet.... Will it get a lot better?

Feb 10, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #34 of 34
I have been listening to the Zeus for a little over a week. The headphone that seemed to lockin with this amp is the hd600/cardas combo. The Zeus has thrown me some curves.The zeus reminds me of my Vtl deluxe 120 amps I had which where switchable to triode or pushpull. In the triode mode the music was there in front of you, but the jump factor was missing. When switching to pushpull you lost some of the intamcy triode gives you but gained in dynamic swing. The Zeus falls in the triode camp. I pulled out the Suzanne Vega cd Solitude standing which I haven't listened to in years
The Zues Hd600 combo mesmerized me , I was totaly involved in the music. More so than the stax omega II 007t combo I am listeng to right now as I type this, with the same cd.Depending on the mix in all the music I listened to
some music just locked onto this combo.
This Amp has me perplexed more than any of the amps I own. When it locks into a song ,It can stand with the best of them. Everything is there .And then I get to some songs where the music is uninvolving, Just lacks dynamics, rhythm . And its not the music Because I have enough amps I have listened to with the same songs and don't run across this. When the Zeus Locks on to a song it is mesmerizing ,but when it doesn't it sounds very midfi.
Whether this can be solved with adjustments that can be done with internal settings that can be made I don't know, as you can adjust feedback
and make some other setting changes. I don't have the manual to tell me how to do this.According to andy Fuchs he set the amp up before he shipped it to me.I packed up the zeus today to ship it back and To be honest I struggled with sending it back and not keeping it .Some of the things that people complain about the hd600 just wasn't there when the Zeus
was locked in .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back