Anyone heard of these super cool looking pcdp?
Aug 25, 2001 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

gorgon_123

Proud to be a member
Surfing about I found these two really cool looking pcdp's from Kenwood. Does anyone know if they're any good??? How about Kenwood as a company, is their stuff crap or good or all over the place like Sony??

Kenwood DPCX517L ($79.97CDN at www.thebrick.com)

ken2.jpg

Kenwood DPCX612H (88.00CDN at www.thebrick.com)

ken1.jpg

Features listed on The Brick website for both players:

- Wide capture circuit
- 3-Beam laser pickup
- 8 Times oversampling

Does anyone know what these are?

EDIT: I can't get these images to appear properly. What am I doing wrong, dear sweet moderator? I checked the image URL and they work fine when pasted directly into IE, why shouldn't they work here? Please HELP!! Thx. -g

Aug 25, 2001 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 73
no idea what's wrong with those images, same thing happened to bakhtiar a while ago though. I guess we'll just have to go to the website...

it's always easier to post pics from the website though. here they are (same order as gorgon listed):
dpcx517l_ch.jpg

dpcx612h_ch.jpg

Aug 25, 2001 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 73
Hmm...looks interesting. 3 beam laser pickup, dual 1bit DACs, and 2 or 4 internal battery capacity. I wonder how powerful its internal amp is?

Aug 25, 2001 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by gorgon_123
EDIT: I can't get these images to appear properly. What am I doing wrong, dear sweet moderator? I checked the image URL and they work fine when pasted directly into IE, why shouldn't they work here? Please HELP!! Thx. -g

gorgon_123,

Geocities doesn't allow direct image linking from other sites.

Aug 25, 2001 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 73
yeah, I've seen these lying around. look pretty good, specially the top one, I prefer the sew Sony look for pcdp's tho..

how good is Kenwood BTW? I believe they do a lot of car-audio stuff and they make some of this portable stuff, but I've never seen a review or anything..

Aug 25, 2001 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 73
I had 4 Kenwood's in 2 years a couple years ago. Not cause I liked them. It was because they kept breaking. Every one that I got had a couple things wrong with it when I got it and it would work (sort of) for about 6 months and then start shutting off all the time. Every one of them did that. I never even dropped any of them. I never had any good headphones back then but the internal amp couldn't drive the supplied earphones to high enough volumes. When I got a Panasonic SL-S200 with 10mw/ch output it had way more volume output. The Sony had even more when I sold the Panasonic.

Also another stupid thing. Every time I turned the Kenwood on the Bass Boost would turn itself back on (AAHHHHHHHH!) and distort the F%*k out of the sound.

Aug 25, 2001 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 73
Hmmm......does this machine have a line-out? If it does, it seems to give the Pana 470/570 a run for their money....

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 73
Why, because of the looks?

Come on vij, it's all about sound here.
The 700DJ look really good, IMHO better than your 495's and are about the same price....
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I don't know anything about Kenwood but the players look very stylish (and very fragile).
And it seems like Kenwood uses the Sennheiser MX series as the
'throw in' phones - inexpensive player + good erabuds... not bad for a change. Usually it's expensive player + horrible phones...

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 73
No, not because of the looks at all. I just said that since the CDP has dual 1bit DACS, something that many people who have older Sonys (which had that feature) swear by. And because it has 3x oversampling - generally oversampling PCDPs is good....I think. Or, CAN be good. Semantics....

Anyway - that was my reasoning.

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 73
Ok, sorry about that coolvij
smily_headphones1.gif

Still, I usually don't trust so called 'technical data'
More appropriate term: 'marketing techno-mumbojumbo'

There must be somebody here that has heard these players.

Anybody?
Hello?

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 73
Well, considering Kenwood's whole entire lineup has dual 1 bit DACs, from the cheapest to the most expensive, I think that feature is nothing to write home about...they probably use CHEAP dual 1 bit DACs in their players.

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 73
I think I *may* get it....but let's see what chych get back. If it's encouraging, I think I will...

Aug 26, 2001 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 73
a friend of mine had a kenwood that got horrendously loud. It was nothing like those players, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back