Anyone have no surge protection?
Jan 22, 2006 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just wondering if anyone is an electrical nudist?

I do want to try a purist approach, plug eveything into something like a PS Audio Juice Bar. No filters, no constraints. But of course there's the fear of catastrophy and like any insurance you feel better having it.

LightningToronto.jpg

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 67
I only use a $250 jobbie with which I run a number of things off, if used properly and kit does get damaged you can put a claim in against the cost of the kit.

IIRC its a Monster at the cheaper end of the market.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 67
A voltage problem in my building resulted in roughly $800-$1000 damage to my electronics several years ago, and weeks getting everything fixed or replaced. The gear I have now would likely cost several times that if a similar event happened. I'm not risking it.

Jan 22, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 67
I plug straight into the wall at the moment. This is despite the fact that 3 months ago a neighbor knocked drove his Cat into the power line and fried half the stuff in our house. Luckily, I was in the process of moving and none of my audio gear was hooked up.

I am now in an apartment and outages are a lot less likely (and hopefully catastrophes like the one above which has only happened once in my whole life).

So my Gilmore Lite and CDP are plugged directly in the wall. However, I am not going to upgrade to an MPX3 Slam or get a new clock for my CDP until the surge protection issues is taken care of. I would hate to spend so much on an amp and lose it. So my next buy is going to be a PS Audio UPC-200.

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 67
I use several $40 dollar apc's at the moment.I cant afford PS Audio stuff right now.

About 7 months ago a freak lightening storm hit with major force in a split second.It fried our computer,cable modem,external computer speakers,digital cable box,bedroom tv,etc.... truly sucks.....I cant say the APC'S will protect my equipment any better but I certainly hope so and I feel safer using them.

I will never go without surge protection again !

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 67
I run everything in my rig through a Liebert UPStation GXT. It was a godsend during the time I was living in a crappy apartment a few years back that had major power line problems. It isn't just a surge suppressor/UPS, it is an online UPS meaning that all output power comes from the battery at all times. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than one of those audiophile power conditioners!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 67
I don't have grounded outlets, so not a lot of options.

I just got a "Brick Wall" for my audio equipment (doesn't need a ground for surge supression) and may get an Adcom for the computer and video equipment.

Fortunately, there isn't a big risk here. The last time I lost any equipment from electrical problems was due to the brown-outs after the big power failure a few years ago.

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 67
APC UPS's on almost everything in my apartment. The main stereo and video system has Furman voltage regulator and a Furman isolation transformer. I believe in very clean AC. Of course I want to add in a Richard Gray's 400MKII at some point to make up for the current blocking effects of all the conditioning gear.

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 67
What would you guys recommend for better surge protection ?

Saturnine,I know longer live in a house and am once again living in a very crappy apt. with all kinds of power problems. Which model of the Liebert gxt did you get ? I see they range from $100 to astronimical amounts.

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 67
It's a GXT-700mt, got it brand new @ Ebay for a steal. Had it 5 years now and the original battery still holds a full charge
smily_headphones1.gif
Only problem is the original cooling fan is a bit noisy, but it is simple to replace.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
A voltage problem in my building resulted in roughly $800-$1000 damage to my electronics several years ago, and weeks getting everything fixed or replaced. The gear I have now would likely cost several times that if a similar event happened. I'm not risking it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
About 7 months ago a freak lightening storm hit with major force in a split second.It fried our computer,cable modem,external computer speakers,digital cable box,bedroom tv,etc.... truly sucks.....I cant say the APC'S will protect my equipment any better but I certainly hope so and I feel safer using them.

I will never go without surge protection again !

'nuff said!
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
UPC-200 with a juice bar.

Like that, I'm only getting boxes that have removeable, not captive cords for a possible consistent power cord loom throughout. I just want that option open to me.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 67
Yep, I have surge protection. Come to think of it, I think just about everything with a plug is plugged into a surge protector of some sort (except for fridge, stove, washer, and dryer). I just have no intention of risking my gears that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back