Anyone have a link to a re-cable guide for headphones?
Jul 31, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 15
have you searched for "recable guide"?
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
may I ask why?

Sure. I was hoping to find at least one thread that would sufficiently guide me through recabling my headphones. Instead, however, I found recabling info scattered throughout different guides and threads. And, not one of them or even all of them combined convinced me of an acceptable chance of success. This endeavor no longer seems worth the risk and my time. But if anyone comes up with a new and comprehensive recabling guide, I would be glad to take a look.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 15
Figuring things out is part of the DIY experience.

honestly, recabling is pretty damn easy.

assuming you have the ability to make your own interconnect, this is all you need:
  • open cup
  • use a multimeter to figure out and note which is ground.
  • melt solder and quickly remove old wire
  • remove wire from cup
  • put new wire into cup
  • tie a knot for stress relief
  • apply flux to solder pad (optional)
  • place new wire on top of solder pad. quickly melt solder and let new wire sink into pad. use more solder if necessary.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Figuring things out is part of the DIY experience.

Right. I'm a long time DIYer, so that's not stopping me.

Quote:

honestly, recabling is pretty damn easy.

Oh, I believe you (and others). Its simplicity and promise of an improvement is not stopping me either.

Quote:

assuming you have the ability to make your own interconnect, this is all you need:
  • open cup
  • use a multimeter to figure out and note which is ground.
  • melt solder and quickly remove old wire
  • remove wire from cup
  • put new wire into cup
  • tie a knot for stress relief
  • apply flux to solder pad (optional)
  • place new wire on top of solder pad. quickly melt solder and let new wire sink into pad. use more solder if necessary.

However, this is what's stopping me. See my previous post for clarification.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 15
o.O

you're loss, I suppose.

you shouldn't expect people to restate information that you should already know if you're attempting something. Are we suppose to include how to use a multimeter?
How to strip wire? How to tie a knot?

Obviously, thats just silly.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

o.O

you're loss, I suppose.

you shouldn't expect people to restate information that you should already know if you're attempting something. Are we suppose to include how to use a multimeter?
How to strip wire? How to tie a knot?

Obviously, thats just silly.

That would be silly. But you seem to be confusing "hoping to find" with "expecting to find". What should happen is what did happen. Head-Fiers attempted to help others, just as you have done here. And those seeking help should determine whether / how to use that help. Yes, definitely my loss, but better that loss than additional loss resulting from a failed recable. But congrats to those who successfully recabled their headphones.

If only I was not currently enjoying my Creative Aurvana Live! so flippin' much with FM radio from a cheap receiver, maybe I'd sooner consider recabling again. These headphones are kicking my butt right now. Turn it up!

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be silly. But you seem to be confusing "hoping to find" with "expecting to find". What should happen is what did happen. Head-Fiers attempted to help others, just as you have done here.

I apologize, I suppose I was confused.

In any case, if you create an interconnect (which are useful anyway) before hand... then you should be able to do the recable no problem.

In any case, to each their own.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 15
one thing that's important and should be made VERY clear is that you want a very thin soldering iron, and never stay for more than a couple of second(2-3 max) at once....that would have saved me some troubles to know that
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back